It Can Happen To You Too

Started by Swede, July 21, 2007, 10:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swede

A safety incident occurred at our last bass club tournament - one which I hope we can prevent in the future.  I am requesting your help - please read on.

Our club tournament was held on the Apalachicola River Waterway in FL last weekend.  At weigh-in, a story unfolded that really concerned me.  While fishing 5 miles from the launch, one of our members (we'll refer to him as Person 1 (P1)) set the hook on a fish and fell out of his boat.  He tossed his rod in the boat as he was falling.  Luckily, he was fishing in a well traveled area and one that each of us would travel enroute back to the launch.  P1 repeatedly tried to reboard his boat, but was unsuccessful in his efforts.  P1 is retired USAF, in good physical shape, but his boat had a good coat of wax and was very slick.  Water depth was approximated at 15ft deep.  Water and air temperature hovered in the 90 degree range.  P1 clung to his boat and remained in the water for approximately 2 hours before a local fisherman in a jon boat came by and helped him out.  Surprisingly - this fisherman was the only one to venture by in nearly 2 hours.  He provided P1 a life vest which helped immensely as P1's strength was greatly diminished in his struggle to get back in his boat.  This local fisherman pulled him into his boat ending the incident - luckily nothing more serious came of it.

Had this incident taken place at another time of the year - things may have turned out much worse.  We have launched tournaments in winter with temperatures in the 20s.  What then?  We have alligators down here - what would have happened if one had showed up?  P1's life vest was in the boat on a seat, but he was unable to reach it.  We are required to wear life vests any time the big motor is running.  His was not at the time of the incident.  He owns a Stratos boat with no boarding ladder.  He tried to board via the motor, but was unable.

Here is where I need you help.  This will be a topic of discussion at our next club meeting - I will make it one.  Safety of our members is A1 priority.  I want to make sure this does not occur to someone else in future.  If it does - I want to make sure our members have the knowledge to tackle this situation in the right way - and be better prepared to do just that.

What modifications if any to P1's boat would you make to help him reboard easier should this happen again?

Life vest wear - yes there are types of LPUs out there that can be worn more comfortably while fishing a tournament - what type would you recommend?

Suggestions in general - how would you prevent this situation from happening again?
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small.
Rascal Flatts

Eric L.

i usually leave a rope tied to a clevis in a loop, the loop rides in the boat out of the way but if i fall over i can reach it and the loop hangs to where i can get a foot in like  a stirrup, it will help you pull yourself out of the water, not the best but cheap and effective.
Eric

BIG PAPA

I have fallen in a couple of times and I just climb back in by using the skeg as a ladder.\
papa

hperk

I Know most people don't but I put comfort aside and my life jacket on. The rope is a real good idea. I will be putting on my boat before next time out.
08 Nitro Z6 115 Opti Max

buzzinbass

Make it back to the motor and use the tilt trim switch to raise the motor while he stepped on the motor

Ron Fogelson

Swede my 929 sits high out of the water and can be a bear to get back into with out some help.

Somethings I've found is with a life jacket if you don't have one on you could find your self in trouble fast if you can;t get back in the boat, but it is impossible for me to get back in my boat while using my life jacket.  It just gets in the way and when I am able to slide/pull my self up the jacket slips on the gel coat and back in the water I go.

I've used both the TM and the big motor to get back in, both are just low enough to get a foot on and pull my self back in however it can be work if your in current or cold water.  1st you must oreantate your self after the fall, then have to work to the front or back of the boat to use said TM or big motor and then get in as fast as you can.

Most times people find them self in the water before they know what hit them, and the 1st thing they do is panic and just claw and struggle to get back on the boat at the 1st point they reach wasting energy trying to slide up over the side.

One needs to have a plan not only worked out in their mind before this happends to them but MUST if they care to up the chances of survival practice getting back in there boat after a fall.

If you are in a safe location with a friend you can jump in the water and work out how best to get back in the boat but as in war fighting we must train to be successful.

On another note, if a member finds him/herself in the water with a life jacket they can once calmed down, take the jacket off and use it as a set ladder by hanging one end off a cleat and using the other straps as a step, it's just enough to get your body weight up above the lip of the boat to help you slide back in.

If that were to fail or if the member just doesn't have the strength to climb in they can use the jacket to strap them to the trolling motor by clipping one of the strap around the TM shaft.

As far as gators, thats just bad keep from splashing as much as you can and hope for the best.

spetro

I have a nylon strap ladder coiled by the stern in the event of man overboard.  Some people with an electric trim can stand on the cavitation plate and trim the motor and gain access that way.  Here are some pics of my nylon ladder and a ladder that was made by a UB member.

bassfishing4

I not a boat owner, but have been in my fair share of them, seem to me that the vest should be worn at times, not just when your highballin it, trips, falls or even passing out from heat exshastion, beat ending up on the bottom. A small rope ladder thrown over the side or stern wouldn't hurt, and it sure isn't going to scare the fish away while your trolling along. And maybe a air horn of the compressed co2 can type mounted on the side rails or where it could be reached easily for blasting out an SOS when in troble, might not be anyone within eyesight, but sound traveling across the surface of a wide open lake should get some kind of attention.
                                                                 Brian B. ;D
IWMS

OHbassaholic

I'm a big honk'n dude and that's why I pretty much always have my SOSpenders on, especially when fishing alone.  I'll be adding that rope to my boat idea brought up by R61Rangeric.  The step ladder add-on mounted on that Bass Tracker would cause more challenges than help for me. 

This is one great topic and sure makes a boater think.  I'm looking forward to seeing more ideas thrown on the table.

POE

you could also require two people to be in the boat. that may sound dumb but i would much rather have someone in there with me than one if something happend but also it could cause both men to lose a life.

Swede

:shocking: Wow - great feedback everyone - so many great ideas!!!  Keep them coming if you have others to add.  Perhaps the one that really caught my attention was one suggestion Fogy made.  Training (fail to prepare - prepare to fail) - how many of you have gotten in the water while a partner was in the boat, just to see if you could reboard?  Rope - that sure would have made things a lot easier - will have to recommend everyone keep some tied to cleats in boat.  Trimming while on the motor versus just using it to climb up great idea.  Using your life vest as your tool to reboard - excellent idea.  I am really impressed - I know it has helped me a lot already.
Rascal Flatts

scatch1

I,m impressed with all the responses so  quickly. the rope stirrup will be made and installed tomorrow.

mjcolegrove

I dont own a boat so i dont know if this is even feasible ...

but is there any way you could attach a step to the back of the boat or to the side preferbly the back i assume because it would casue less hinderence there ?

Or can there be some sort of a breakaway cover piece that could be attached or dettached from the boat itself ?   that possibly the makers could install for a customer ? this piece would cover up a foothold or step so to speak .....

like I said I dont know if they are feasible .... but if it means saving someones live or getting an overboard person back on board the boat .... it would seem that something like this could be done .....

the rope idea is a good one .... mine thou its good in thought I dont know if it would harm the boat ... or if it could be feasible .... but I thought it would be worth to at least cover the idea to see what everyone here thinks .....
mike colegrove
Life Member NAFC
Bassmasters and FLW Member
Bass Fan Army Member

BassBUFF

Funny this subject should come up today as I just finished installing a stainless steel fold-up step on the jackplate. Purpose was two-fold; one was the safety factor and the other was to keep from carrying a big ladder while pulling the kids on a tube. It fit great!

Eric L.

Quote from: BassBUFF on July 21, 2007, 06:07:10 PM
Funny this subject should come up today as I just finished installing a stainless steel fold-up step on the jackplate. Purpose was two-fold; one was the safety factor and the other was to keep from carrying a big ladder while pulling the kids on a tube. It fit great!
Do ya have some  ;PHO) ?
Eric

BassBUFF

Here they are:

ZARASSPOOKY

My buddy's Triton has a ladder built in from the factory.

Eric L.

Eric

Swede

Small yet effective - what was cost and what brand is that?
Rascal Flatts

spetro

dang....that jack plate step should go in the tip forum as well ~c~ :-* ~c~ :-* ~c~ :-* ~c~

BassBUFF

Quote from: Swede on July 21, 2007, 09:51:25 PM
Small yet effective - what was cost and what brand is that?

It was around $32 shipped. I can't remember the brand. I looked for one while we were in FL in June but nobady in the panhandle had one. West Marine shows it in their catalog but had none on hand, said they could order it though. I ended up ordering it through ebay when we got home.

Quote from: spetro on July 22, 2007, 07:11:42 AM
dang....that jack plate step should go in the tip forum as well ~c~ :-* ~c~ :-* ~c~ :-* ~c~

I'll do just that!

Swede

Will check with a few of our local places to see if I can find someone carrying - I know someone who may be able to get them at less than retail if no one has them already in stock.  Appreciate all the info everyone!!!!
Rascal Flatts

pamlee101

might be wrong, but i believe most truck stops would carry the foldup steps. seen them on lots of big trucks.

PowerBass

It is a scary situation, that thankfully I have not yet faced. I have a sospenders vest, and dont wear it as much as I should. I need to practice re boarding my boat, in a calm day, One other suggestion, is like already said, have a rope on a cleat, but pull your boat to shore when swimming.
Flippin And Pitchin My Way Up the Leaderboard

Jdaddy

I was happy to hear the guy was ok BUT what in the world happen to the fish he set the hook on??????????? :fishy