problem with Berkley Vanish Transition Fluorocarbon Line

Started by ultimix, July 25, 2007, 06:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pferox

Quote from: Big J on July 26, 2007, 01:42:44 PM
I've seen this topic appear dozens and dozens of times.  I tried it last year and had the same line breaking problem.  I've heard more complaints about this line then any other line.  Try cajun red for a good flourocarbon line.

I didn't know Cajun Red came in Floro now.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Big J

Quote from: Pferox on July 26, 2007, 01:45:39 PM

I didn't know Cajun Red came in Floro now.

The red color makes it invisible under water.  So its basically flourocarbon
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Oneslowz28

Quote from: Big J on July 26, 2007, 01:50:01 PM
The red color makes it invisible under water.  So its basically flourocarbon

Auctaly it would have to be made of florocarbon to be a florocarbon line. Florocarbon isnt just a name its a chemical composition. Cajun red is just a red mono that doesnt dissapear like they say it does. It just turns darker as the light levels decrease. A true florocarbon has the same light defelecting properties as water and becomes truly invisible under 3" of water.

Charles Gantt
SpecTastic Tackle Pro Staff.
http://spectastictackle.com

If your entering the Wiggle Rig tourny Please Sign up here. Wiggle rig tourny sign up

sparky

QuoteBerkley Vanish Transition Line
On first inspection, this innovative line appears to be another clear fluorocarbon. But when exposed to sunlight, it "transitions" to either a deep gold or crimson red color for maximum visibility outside the water. Below the surface, it truly lives up to its name and literally vanishes into its surroundings. The result is that fish aren't spooked, and you can detect strikes faster. Built with the same durability and abrasion resistance as other fluorocarbon lines, it's like having two lines in one

AIM: TheSouthSparky
Estero, Florida
MySpace

"When learning to cast you're told to move the rod between 10 O'Clock and 2 O'Clock.

But Before you know you can't stop until well after dark."

Warpath

I've heard thecomment before that you're not tying it right or not wetting it enough, but that doesn't hold much water with me.  In my case, it was the only line I had trouble with as far as line breakage.  Braid and mono, using the same knot, I had no problems with.  Not trying to pick a fight, but if it figures it was how the knot was tied, it would effect all the lines equally.  That was not the case.

Eric

Ray L.

Well I guess I should comment on this. I have been reading this thread for a couple of days now to see what anybody has to say.
I am sponsored by Sunline a real fluro line company. Berkley is not. They don't even make there fluro. They can't since there are only 3 factories in the world.
First off. Vanish and transition and Gamma and most of the rest are all miss marked. Check the diameter of it to a real Japanese fluro line. There are strict rules in Japan about marking the pound test to the diameter of the line.
Most lines are a larger diameter than what they should be. If you read 10 pound on most stuff that would be in all reality 12 to 14 pound in another country.
Now to the knot break thing. With fluro do not tie a palamar knot it will break every time. Try a san diego knot or a trilene knot or something like that.
As far as some other stuff on this thread about breaking inside the spool I am not sure how that is happening but I will say if you are on spinning make sure you use a large spool reel for the line. The fluro works better that way and is easier to manage. The 1 thing it could be is you have a small loop inside and it is getting friction on it and just breaks over time.
Now with the price of fluro. I will say you get what you pay for in this market. Check out who is fishing what and you will see what is up. Some of the biggest names are fishing Sunline. Some are fishing Gamma but let me tell you they are 1 that miss marks and also they don't even make there own product.
I would say to by the best you can get because the line is all there is between you and a check in a tournament.     

skeeter944

Ok, I have been using the Vanish Transition for about 9 months, and I have never broken a fish off. I use 8lb-17lb and I use it for all my Soft plastcis and Jigs. It is very sensative to kinks though, so I retie often. I use a palomar knot and wet it alot then sinch it down very very very slowly.  It is a good line IMO, and I will continue to use it.

WRBass

When Berkley first introduced their Vanish line and followed with Transition, I bought into it and gave them a try, because I like Berkley lines. The original Vanish and Transition where poor quality products. Berkley tried to correct the problems and came out with "Improved" marked on the boxes and the line was a little better, but still failed randomly.
I then tried Yo-Zuri hybrid and P-Line had better success, bit lost sensitivity. Sunline finally came out with suppliers for the general public that has has reasonable prices.  About two years now I have been using Sunline Shooter for 100% fluoro applications and BASS III for hybrid applications and highly recommend both.
The Palomar knot isn't a good knot for fluorocarbon because it can reduce the cross section when you cinch it down, the Uni knot or San Diego knot is a better choice. The biggest issues with fluorocarbon line is the fact that it is water proof, does not absorb water. You need a line dressing with fluoro's, I use TangleFree and plan to try KVD's dressing, I do not recommend ReelMagic, it's messy and gums up your reel and stains carpets.
WRB

Ray L.

would like to try tangle free. Where can you get it? The K.V.D. is good. At least better than reel magic.
Some are telling me the k.v.d. stuff breaks down fluro. I am not sure as I have not had a problem yet.

Red Ranger

I'll admit I'm not the easiest guy on line, but I've never had very much luck with any brand of the flourocarbon line.

Ray L.

WRBass

Quote from: Ray L. on July 28, 2007, 09:31:59 AM
would like to try tangle free. Where can you get it? The K.V.D. is good. At least better than reel magic.
Some are telling me the k.v.d. stuff breaks down fluro. I am not sure as I have not had a problem yet.
Cabela's sells has it, Google "TangleFree"
WRB

topcat

Ray L. I use KVD all the time and I have never experienced my fluorocarbon breaking down by using KVD.......I don't know who started that ....but from my experience using KVD on Fluoro I would say thats is false...try it you have nothing to lose and if it dose break down fluoro then you will have saved yourself a lot of money because it is a very expensive line......

Topcat

Ray L.

Hey Top Cat... I am sponsored by Sunline.... I have tried it already on my Fluro. It works fine for me. I was just saying something I heard at I Cast....

WRBass

What I like about TangleFree is the 2 oz squeeze bottle fits in your pocket and no mess, just a drop or two on the spooled line and you are ready for an hour or so of casting depending on the wind and temperature. If it's hot, dry and windy then a few drops every 30 minutes works well, as it will evaporate in time. I have been using TangleFree for several years and no negative issues yet on any line type.
WRB

Big J

Quote from: WRBass on July 30, 2007, 12:11:35 PM
What I like about TangleFree is the 2 oz squeeze bottle fits in your pocket and no mess, just a drop or two on the spooled line and you are ready for an hour or so of casting depending on the wind and temperature. If it's hot, dry and windy then a few drops every 30 minutes works well, as it will evaporate in time. I have been using TangleFree for several years and no negative issues yet on any line type.
WRB

I'll have to get some of this tanglefree stuff cause I sure hate tangled line. :bang

flippindrew

Not to step on any toes but Berkley Vanish=JUNK.  I have been using P-line flouro for 2 years with ZERO problems.  Drew

calincalif50

I found that if its not at least 17lb and even that broke due to friction it beaks easily.  Even though I got to tying the knot under water to reduce the friction, sometimes it still broke.  Tried for a whole year, result....didn't like it.  Still use the 17lb as a leader on my C-RIG with 25 lb mainline.

JMHO

Ray L.

what kind of knot are you tying? Knots are very important with fluro.

Pferox

I only use 20lb so can't say about the lighter lines, but I would suspect that they would be more kink sensitive.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Warpath

I have zero issues with tying a knot on fluoro.  I tie a regular trilene knot, but just before I cinch the knot, I pass the tag end through the last loop nearest the eye.  I then spray it with reel magic, and cinch away.

Eric

Big J

I used Vanish and tied it with the Trilene knot and it broke, broke, and broke.  So I've recently started using P-line and so far it's all right except for the line memory but there is no perfect line.  If there is though, let me know. ;)

Warpath

I should have mentioned, I use that knot with Seaguar line not Vanish.  Some guys swear by that stuff, but I had nothing but trouble with it.

Eric

Ray L.

YTou should go to
tackletour.com and read up on the fluro lines. They did all kinds of testing on it. Including knot strength. There are some very good results from this.
I will say the best knot is the snad diego jam knot. It is the best for fluro.

Warpath

I think thats the knot that Jason Quinn uses, but he called it the jam knot only.  I'd go look at it, but I'm aone web site knida guy.   ~an~

I learned from Quinn to use reel magic before cinching down the knot.  It makes it much easier.

Eric