problem with Berkley Vanish Transition Fluorocarbon Line

Started by ultimix, July 25, 2007, 06:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray L.

the full name for the knot is called the san diego jam knot. It is the knot that most pro's use. It has the best knot strength for fluro that I have found.

Warpath

I will have to look it up and give it a try.  Thanks Ray!

Eric

calincalif50

Funny the SDJK should be mentioned, I've been using that on all my lines and didn't even know it, I thought it was an improved clinch not I was tying, I think they are very close in design. :bang

Baron49

I had a lot of bad issues with both Vanish and Vanish Transition....finally gave up on both and someone said to try P-Line or Gama.  Tried the P-line Flourocarbon and other then the stiffness of the line it has worked great.  I use 17 pound on jigs and creatures I fish in deep, clear, water weed lines.  It has held up well, but contrary to popular belief flourocarbon line DOES stretch!

Brendan

Vanish is complete trash. Save yourself the frustration of lost fish and money and buy something decent.

Oneslowz28

I find this post verry funny. I have been using vannish for over 5 years now. Never lost one fish due to line failure. Lost some due to me not retying the knot every 5 or 6 bass. My PB is a 9-6 on 8 lb vannish. My brother in law caught his 7-4 on 8 lb vannish, my uncle caught his 12-8 on 8 lb vannish. I have caught well over 5000 bass on 8 lb vannish and vanish transitions.

I think the problem is from people treating it like mono. You cannot tie the same knots with florocarbon that you would with mono. You have to wet the line before you chnch the knot. YOu have to condition the line with a line conditioner. You cannot leave the rod in the hot sun for days at the time and expect the line that is visible no to dry rot. You have to treat this stuff like its susposed to be treated. If you check your knots every few fish and check the first 24" of the line every hour or so for abrasion or nicks then you will nto have problems.

Charles Gantt
SpecTastic Tackle Pro Staff.
http://spectastictackle.com

If your entering the Wiggle Rig tourny Please Sign up here. Wiggle rig tourny sign up

Big J

This topic I swear will never die.  I don't like the line. The line kept breaking on me.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

-Shawn-

I know how to treat floro, I use pline flouro and have never had a problem with it. Vanish on the other hand after the fourth spool, it is junk to me. This is just my experience with it and most of the other feedback I have heard on it.

BIG PAPA

Been Bass fishing for over 40 years, Know how to wet line, know how to tie a good knot (several of them) know how to check line often, retie often and keep boat in garage. Have never had any real problems with line with the exception of Vanish and one other Berkly line I can't think of the name, it's the one that is super limp.
Both break on the hookset no matter what knot or how I tie it and I am talking about 20 lb. test.
I now just use Seagaur flouro with a plain Double clinch and have no problems.
papa

JEVSkeeter

Papa,

XL. I use XT for crankbaits without a problem. I use San Diego knots and Palomar knots 80% of the time.

James 4:8,
Skeeter Boats Demo Team,
Yamaha, Minn Kota,
Humminbird, Navionics, Luck"E"Strike, Stay-N-Charge, BassWishes Tackle

MCT

I have used Vanish, and never have found a spool, where there was not had problems.  I got a good one for you, I've seen Vanish come off a "NEW" spool, and  spit intwo down the center.  I have never seen a line do that.  Now I use P Line and never have a problem.

Brendan

So to summarize. Occasionally, despite Berkley's best efforts at QA, the occasional spool of Vanish that doesn't break when you look at it funny manages to escape their production lines. I've heard from a source high up that they are working hard to rectify that problem.

Big J

Quote from: Brendan on August 14, 2007, 12:04:45 AM
So to summarize. Occasionally, despite Berkley's best efforts at QA, the occasional spool of Vanish that doesn't break when you look at it funny manages to escape their production lines. I've heard from a source high up that they are working hard to rectify that problem.

Even if they fix it I still won't use it.  I lost all trust in this line.

Ray L.

They are not going to fix a thing. Vanish and Transition are the same. Just re packaged.
The only thing I will say is you get what you pay for. I think many of you need to go to tackle tour and read the comparisons of many of the major fluro's and you will see in the long run you get what you pay for in fluro.
There are a few things you do diff. than mono or co pol.
Your hook set is more sweeping on the lighter pound test because there is less stretch. But your vertical presentation is so much better with fluro.
See what the top pro's are fishing. Many are fishing Sunline. Others are fishing Toray. When you read a story about a guy fishing Fluro and there is no name with it there is a reason. He is not sponsored by them but he uses it. Sunline and Toray are the most common of this. Next in line is Sugoi by yamamoto.
I myself am sponsored by Sunline and would willingly talk to any of you about it. On the otherhand I would prefer you at least get a premium fluro and try it yourself. Gamma is not a premium. Neither is Vicious. I am not putting either one down jsut saying it like it is.

Rebbasser

Guys, I just found my flororcarbon line:  Trilene Fluorocarbon.  Not Vanish, the new one.  I spooled it up and then didn't get to try it for a couple of weeks.  I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself, but after 2 weeks of being tight on a reel there was absolutely no memory.  Limp as braid.  A little pricey, but worth it IMO.

WRBass

Maxima Fluorocarbon is a premium line equally as good IMO as Sunline and just as expensive. The only difference is Maxima is more abrasion resistant the Sunline Shooter for example. I fish with both Sunline Shooter and Maxima Fluorocarbon and have settled on Max for jigs and Sunline for soft plastics and swimbaits. Everyone has there on likes and dislikes when it comes to line, rods and reels.
WRB

Big J

Quote from: Rebbasser on August 21, 2007, 07:20:44 PM
Guys, I just found my flororcarbon line:  Trilene Fluorocarbon.  Not Vanish, the new one.  I spooled it up and then didn't get to try it for a couple of weeks.  I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself, but after 2 weeks of being tight on a reel there was absolutely no memory.  Limp as braid.  A little pricey, but worth it IMO.

Congrats and I'll have to try it.

Baron49

Quote from: Ray L. on August 14, 2007, 05:45:31 PM
Your hook set is more sweeping on the lighter pound test because there is less stretch.

If you study up on Fluorocarbon it actually stretches more then mono.  What makes the difference is Fluoro is more dense then mono and gives more feel and a better hook set......but Fluoro does stretch!

Nial

I'm still new to all these different line types...but by the looks of it....I think I'm going to steer clear of any type of fluoro period.  I can see the benefits of using fluoro line, but geez it seems like there's more negative than positive no matter what brand is available.  I guess I'll just stick to the mono for now.

ultimix

WOW!! I really did start something with this thread.... :bang :bang :bang :bang

Mark

Pferox

Quote from: ultimix on September 08, 2007, 01:00:20 AM
WOW!! I really did start something with this thread.... :bang :bang :bang :bang

Mark

See, never know what will stir up a hornet's nest.  :roll2:

But thats ok because we all learn from these.  ~c~
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

alsept1

I had problems with this line also. Seems like it dry routs easily.

Pferox

Quote from: alsept1 on September 11, 2007, 07:42:42 PM
I had problems with this line also. Seems like it dry routs easily.

Wow, I must have gotten a great batch.

I have a spool of Vanish in 10lb test that I use for leader material. I proly had it at least a year and a half. I just spooled one of Jan's rods with the stuff to see if it was still good. I reeled in our smallest Lapso Apso with it.  ::) She finally let go and waited for the next cast, I decided not to run a re-test.  :roll2:

Before anybody panics, no Lapso Apsos were hurt during this test (accidental test). She grabbed up the practice plug and decided to play tug of war. Man was this a first.  :o
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Big J

WRBass

The more I fish with fluorocarbon the more problems I have with it. I have been fishing fluorocarbon since it was first introduced in the 1990's and like other fishing line there is a place for it.
This is what I have come to; fluorocarbon when bass are in clear water and line shy, otherwise use a premium mono filament line or use braids where the cover demands the extra strength.
The problems with knot strength and batch to batch consistency in addition to the high cost, fluorocarbon is too risky and costly for day in day out general bass fishing.
I will not use fluorocarbon line at night or in cold weather where knot tying becomes difficult to do properly. I do use fluorocarbon in clear water where the small diameter line gives you an advantage, such as drop shot.
WRB