Monroe LA ?

Started by KM5QF, March 13, 2005, 10:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KM5QF

:-\ Having a heck of a time and hope you folks can help. Looking for info/links on any monroe la area bass clubs. Found a few LA clubs but none in the monroe area.
thanks, chad

Mike Cork

KM5QF Chad , honestly I haven't heard of one yet..... But we have had several folks from Monroe on the site and have several folks that know the area. I bet someone will know something. Might be time to start a club :-*

Thanks for signing up with UB. Looking forward to chatting with you about fishing in your area and in all the great topics we have here on the forum ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

KM5QF

Thanks,
Am really out of the loop now so to speak, drove a tanker cross country for nine years so im really out of touch with the local scene. I remember there was one that fished chinnere a lot, one that hung out on darbonne, and one that stayed on the ouachita. Will be later this summer before I can join one anyway as ive got to get a new boat. I'd like to start fishing tournaments too and the boat i have now just isnt enough.  Never entered a tourny before and have been reading up on some of the rules- seems they dont like us guys with little putt putt john boats. Maybe jealous I can get back to where the fish are? LOL  ;D

If anyone in the west monroe/monroe general area knows of a local clubs website i'd love the link to it or a direct message about it. I'd be most thankful.
When not workin im usually fishing the ouachita, mostly the riverlakes north of monroe and pretty much do it all. Jugs, trotlines, catfish traps, yoyo's, and of course slinging one of my bass rods.

thanks again, chad

Mike Cork

Chad, most clubs shouldn't care what type of boat you use. Now the bigger events have restrictions but mostly because of safety and insurance issues. We all know how to handle our boats but the insurance companies that don't have a clue are the ones they have to listen too when making those rules.

You are right though, smaller boats get to where the big ones are, especially this time of year ;)

Keep us posted on your fishing over that way, and let us know how the tournament fishing goes.  ~c~ Hopefully someone will be by shortly that can point you in the direction of a good club in your area.

Cork's Reel Service

KM5QF

Youre right about the clubs in regards to boat size, my concern is really for tournaments. I need a new boat anyway and was previously looking at bigger john boats but with the idea of a tourny in mind ill just use thier specs as a guide. I use a live well made by Igloo. In other words what doesnt get let go gets released to grease.  ~shade  That alone keeps me from even the smallest local tournaments.
The ability to get into tight spots is a big plus for a small boat youve got a point there Mike. I'll fix my old one up a bit for such occasions.
As far as local fishing, been more worried about catfish here lately from a groceries standpoint but plan on heading out this weekend and wearing the paint off of a couple torpedoes.

This past weekend was the FLW tournament here on the ouachita, day one was okay but the other three days the fishing wasnt impressive. All the boats went an hour upriver into felsenthal to fish. The ouachita is an awesome bass river but never a truer case of "ya gotta know the water". I went to the final weigh in and only saw a couple nice fish, the rest were "bait" kept just to make weight.

For those that care: the Oppelousas cats are starting to really hit well on shiners and goldfish. Tearing the black crappie up on shiners too. Blue and channel cats starting to move a bit but with the Opps doing well why bother? Jackfish are hitting spinners as always, good for catfish bait anyway. LOL
Thank God spring is finally here.

Mike Cork

Thanks for the update ~c~ I won't mind getting into some of those cats myself and I am a sucker for the crappie  ;)

Cork's Reel Service

KM5QF

I found one local trail, not really a club per se, the local district of the ABA
at monroebassfishing dot com

Ronnie Broussard

I own a Tracker 165 I am very proud of. I bought it used, 2 years old, for $3000. In 6 months of club tournaments, my WORST finish was 7th.  ~c~

KM5QF

Sounds about within my budget also. Got some other bills to worry about first and the john boat still catches fish so im okay till the summer. Am figuring july or so ill be after a new/used boat.  good deal on the seventh place. when the time comes ill get with the a.b.a. and fish the local scene for sure. i sure dont expect to win, just have a good time.