Stop on by for some cookin' Q & A

Started by fishnchef, March 21, 2005, 11:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnchef

This is my first attempt at starting a new subject on the forum, but if I do it right I think I could be a lot of Help.  I would like this to be a place to chat about cooking of all kinds.  You see, I have been in the culinary field for sixteen years.  I have opened a restaurant from the ground up and worked anywhere from fast food to five-star world renowned establishments. If there is anything I can help with I would be glad to offer my expertise.

So the next time you start to question some of the goings on in the kitchen, don't get frustrated, get advice.  I'm here with all your culinary tips.
Fishin', Cookin', and Family time!!!
Keeping it all together!!! Now more than ever!!!!!

Mike Cork

fishnchef that is awesome  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ Thank you for offering your services. I think with some promotion and getting the word out you might be busier than you bargained for  ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

fishnchef

:) I hope that I will be able to help.  I have only searched the site a handful of times, but I must say that I have a new addiction.  This is one of the most incredible sites on subject that I have ever ventured to.  I just returned from a long vacation, so I think I should be rested enough to handle what you all can throw at me. 

Just try to have patience with me :surrender: and I will do my best to keep up.

Once again, thanks for having me, and I'm glad to help anyway I can :)

Mike Cork

Long vacation man I could use one of them, in fact they are doing my back surgery on Wednesday so I will be tied to the best for some long resting time :-*

Don't get caught up in here alone, we are very interested in what you have to say all through out the forum.

I guess I will start the Q&A going here first.

When it comes to baking fish we have tried all different kinds of marinades and some have been great. Fish meat is a lot different than beef obviously, but kind of time do you allow for fish to soak in a marinade?

Cork's Reel Service

fishnchef

THE TEST ;D ;D ;D ;D !!!!

Before the marinade tip, I'd first like to wish you luck with the surgery.  The irony of it all, is that that is why I took the long vacation.  You see, I am in recovery from carpel tunnel surgery.  What better time to make a run to the sunshine state, huh. ~sun

Unfortunately, there was quite a bit of rain, and my surgeon ordered NO FISHING >:(.
It just isn't fair.

To answer your question.  I like to keep it simple with fish.  If your using a whole fish for baking, limit time to less than three hours and keep the acidity in your marinade (citrus, tomato, wine, etc.) low.  You'll find that the longer you keep a tender flesh of a fish in acidic liquids the more it will change the texture of the meat.  (It has a tendency to become grainy or to even fall apart in the cooking process)

Instead you might consider a high heat, Slice Some baking potatoes longways(to use a base,  this will keep your fish from sticking to the roasting pan and also allow for a more even heat distribution on the uderside.)  Mix up your favorite marinade and add generously over the top of the fish several times during the roasting process.

Just a favorite method that I use:  you might also consider stuffing a whole fish with your favorite fresh herbs and use a favorite liquer as a basting liquid (An anise flavored French Liquer Pernod is always a good choice.

I think this should help you out, at least for a "shoot from the hip" response.  Good luck and Good eatin'! :) :) :)

Let me know if this will pass the test on the COOKIN' Q & A

Mike Cork

Awesome reply, very indepth with some great suggestions ~c~ I had no idea about the acidity effecting the meat. You have saved a few fillets from the trash can :roll2: We usually fry fish but the other day we decided to bake at the last minute so there really wasn't time to soak, good thing. Thanks Fishnchef. I am sure we will keep you busy here ~c~

Cork's Reel Service

fishnchef

I have added a couple of recipes to the Cookin' with Fire page in order to give you all an idea of some modernage spins on classic foods that we have all come to enjoy.  I would like to hear any of your classic recipes that you feel could use a little modern spin put on them.
Culinary arts is an everchanging field and most of the "old faithful" meals that we have all grown to love, are the root for where this field is going to.  If you want to try something new, feel free to stop in anytime with a suggestion and I will try to give you the same dish with a little spin in a new direction.  I'll gladly take requests!  lo lo lo

MotherNature

Wow... the things I have been missing  :o

I think this is an awesome idea, thanks Fishnchef!

Lets try this one... i actually baked a pie for Mike this evening and although the family was happy I wasn't really impressed.

It was apple and I used Granny Smith. I didn't have a recipe so I called mama...

She walked me through the process but when it was all said and done it wasn't very juicy :(

We added sugar, touch of flour, cinnimon, and few dollups of butter to the top... any hints on what I could have done wrong?

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

fishnchef

You can never go wrong by callin' mama.... ~c~ ~c~ lo

I'll give you fair warning that I am no pastry chef by any stretch of the imagination.  However I have picked up a few things from mama ( a cake decorator and down home cook), Granny (my great grandmother and the best down home cook in the world at age 88 years), and some of the country's elite five star pastry chefs.

I'd like to know a little more about the proceedures you used, but just as a few pointers I can tell you a couple things on subject.  If you try to add pastry across the top of the pie it will serve two fold.  Not only is it a delicious flaky crust to enjoy but also serves to keep moisture inside the pie.  You may want to experiment with some different types of apple as well.  There are some great hybrid apples that you can pick up at your local farmers market or gourmet grocer.  I Always recommend using brown sugar as well (dark brown) as it has a lower carmelization temperature than that of granulated sugar.  Try to make a syrup, using brown sugar and water to drizzle over the apples before baking.  Make it rather thick so as to not wind up with a soggy mess.  Hope this helps a little, but as I said "by no stretch of the imagination" am I a pastry chef.  If you need more info, I'd be glad to make a few calls and get a more indepth explanation for you.  Let me know, and thanks for the interest.  ~c~ ~c~

MotherNature

I did apply the crust to the top of the pie as well. This is probably the first pie I have baked in several years and I am just a tad rusty  :-[

I sliced the apples and rinsed them off to make sure there were no remnants of seeds and then coated them with about a cup of sugar, 2 teaspoons of cinnimon and two teaspoons of flour, added all of that to the pie crust and covered with the top crust and baked at 400o for about 45 min.

I think I will try the brown sugar and actually cooking the sugar mixture before I add it to the apples next time and see how it works out...

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>