Baitcast or Spinning?

Started by Rickoos, March 22, 2005, 10:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickoos

I'm finding myself reaching and using my spinning tackle a more these days, not sure why yet. Last tournament all my fish was caught on spinning tackle while flipping a gary yamamoto creature bait with light line.....
What's your thoughts on this, pro's and con's,,,,,,,

Ricky
sponsors:
American Bass Angler Pro Staff, R & M Tackle, K & M Custom Rods, Secret Weapon Lures,Vicious Fishing Tournament Team, Driftwood Lures,  Fish Hedz/Save Phace,

calincalif50

My go to reel is a Quantum on a 6 6 berkley lightening rod, I'm always throwing a senko and its sensitive and strong...with all of my other baits in my tackle box...seems like I'm forever reaching for that darn senko...and usually wacky rigged to boot...I catch more fish wacky style thant t-rigged

OHbassaholic

I've noticed a conversion to spinning gear over the last couple of years, on the water and in the fishing forums.  Seems as though the bass have been wanting finesse presentations much more during this timeframe.  Thus, spinning gear and weightless soft plastics.
I personally have decided to work on slowing down and using more finesse tactics this season.

TackleTester

I like baitcasting because of the torque and power with which I can handle fish....Now for fishing docks, I like a spinning reel b/c of the ability to skip the baits under the docks better.

Catch em up
Brian

BIG PAPA

Last summer I started using spinning gear more as the summer got hotter and the fish got harder to catch. Have to do more of that this year.
My problem is I just want to catch BIG fish, I have cost myself places in many a tournament throwing a 1/2 ounce jig on 20 lb. test when a 1/8th on 10 would have probably got me a limit. I know that when we go to Cross I am going to spend time under docks with spinning gear.

papa :-[

Pferox

Over the years I have lost alot of the feeling in my thumbs, so I have a very difficult time with bait casters now.
Because of that I have almost totally converted to spinning gear, with practice, I am able to use my index finger to contoll line feed and increase accuracy.
I beleive that newer spinners are just as good even in bringing in big fish.
Penn is my first choice in reels, then Mitchell, they suit my needs and budget.

Granted I don't cast as many times a year as yall do but I do put them to the test when it comes to salt water use and I have been very happy with spinning gear.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

fishnchef

I like the subject and I'm sure with those diehard spinning and those diehard baitcasting outfit users this could become a heated arguement real quick. In my opinion there is a place for each.  If your trying to chunk that bait into those hard to reach place some would say that you had better have a trigger on that rod.  However other will say that they can be so precise with their spinning outfit they won't need that extra distance.  I think its all a matter of how you have been socialized into the fishing world.

I personally carry both and let the fish tell me what they want to see.  I'm big on my finesse fishing but occasionally I like flip into the trees and I have more sense of ease if I can muscle em out.
Fishin', Cookin', and Family time!!!
Keeping it all together!!! Now more than ever!!!!!

Da FISHINKING

I personally carry both types when I am out. I like having the options and since I use a backpack it is easy to carry my extra rods with me. I actually use one of my old softball backpacks and it has two sleeves on the sides for the bats and I have found that for hiking in and shore fishing this works great for carrying any rods and reels I feel like carrying
So. Cal Bass Wrangler
B.A.S.S. Member
BassArmy Member
Sponsors: www.sqwormtackle.com www.harttackle.com www.ambushlures.com www.persuaderlures.com

fishnchef

We  must be on the same page with this fishin' thing.  I too use a backpack.  Its seems my BPS storage boxes make a great base to support the rods, and also provide ease of use.  Do you also use a fanny pack "wader belt" river fishin the smallies? lo lo lo

boomer

I keep fishing with my spinning gear while my buddy is taking the bird's nest out of his baitcaster

fishnchef

Sounds to me like your buddy may need a little more practice with that old thing lo lo

Da FISHINKING

Come to think of it fishnchef I DO have a little fanny pack that I carry a little case of flies and panthers in just for those moments that I may get a wild hare and want to try something REALLY different out.. lo lo
So. Cal Bass Wrangler
B.A.S.S. Member
BassArmy Member
Sponsors: www.sqwormtackle.com www.harttackle.com www.ambushlures.com www.persuaderlures.com

fishnchef

That pack serves two fold: 

It keeps me from floodin' those waders and it also keeps me from soaking too much of my tackle.  After all they only hold so much.  And that keeps my tackle from ruining, my time from not having to fix em and my wallet a little more full.

Pferox

I must agree on the comments both have their place and alot is based on personal preferences.
I wouldn't trade my bait casters for anything, and was a die hard anti spinner kinda guy for a long time.
Now....well.... I am forced to look at it differently I guess... :surrender:
And they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. ;)

Now lets throw another one into the mix....how about those closed in reels like the venerable zebco 33, any opinions?   :-\
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Ronnie Broussard

There is a time and a place for everything under the  ~sun
(where did I get so poetic at? :shocking:)
The same reason a golfer carries a bag full of clubs instead of just one is why both are equally important! You could get the job done with 1 club, but not nearly as good as with a veriety of clubs. Same thing with our rods and reels. We could catch some fish on just one, but not as well as if we change our "tools" to match a given situation!
Try throwing a spinnerbait on spinning and watch your line twist all over the place. At the same time, try throwing a weightless wacky worm on baitcasting with 20lb test  :shocking: You could technically do it to prove a point, but in all day fishing, your best result would be  :'(
I am just a finiky about my spinning gear as baitcasting. I like Pinnacle and Phluegur.

Rickoos

Pferox69,

I use the little Zebco 33 underspin for crappie and bream fishing and they are a blast. ~sun  While using light spinning rods 7-9 feet long with the underspin 33 those little guys can put up a great fight.......

Ricky ~an~

I will tell merila that since I don't golf,  ~readit says here that I can have 27 rods & reels i the boat....... :roll2: and lets see what she has to say... ~b~ ~str
sponsors:
American Bass Angler Pro Staff, R & M Tackle, K & M Custom Rods, Secret Weapon Lures,Vicious Fishing Tournament Team, Driftwood Lures,  Fish Hedz/Save Phace,

Da FISHINKING

I personally like enclosed reels for my kids since they are just starting to become Lil' Anglers...less fuss for them.
So. Cal Bass Wrangler
B.A.S.S. Member
BassArmy Member

cmegee

It would just depend on the sitution I'm facing, hot summertime I keep both in the boat, I can downsize (spinning rod)in clear water or pitch heavy tackle (baitcaster) in the deep grass.
Keep them both and they will come to you....

wareagle71

I agree.  Although I tend to use a spinning reel more often. I carry a baitcaster because I like what it gives me when I want to throw certain baits.  I love them for jigs, and spinners, and cranks.  But for some reason, probably weight of lure and line needed to throw them I like my spinning for texas rigged plastics, small topwater, anytime I am in the creek up to my  ~shhh.

WAR

Inspired

I've used spinning for years, always liked the control and touchy feel to them.  I've recently just started using a baitcasting set though, so I'll give you my updated verdict on em' later this season.  ~cf

Fish4FunInFl

I agree with alot of the replies. Both have their place. But I do use my baitcasters 98 % of the time.
Fish4FunInFl

Fish On

Spinning just because im fairly new fisherman and im only 14.  But I bought a quantum energy baitcasting reel and a shimano bastcasting rod 7 foot heavy. So soon baitcasting
Alluringbaits.com        Fish307.com             Protackle.net
Boatboys.com            Furryfishbaits.com    Sunrizetackle.com    cbshawgsauce.com  
Secretweaponlures.com         Pourboyplastics.com

CouchTater

I use a spinning reel for some situations, especially in the summer, when the grass is about 3 in from the surface.  I like to use the spinning reel to "swim" the 10 and 12 in. Powerworms.  Plus i use it whenever I texas-rig worms/lizards.

On the other hand, i take atleast 5 baitcasters.  One rigged with a spinnerbait, crankbait/trap, tube, jig, and finally one with a topwater lure.  :D 

Plus i have a ultralight reel that i keep on the boat.  So when i get a craving for some slabs...  :-*

I like both, but each one has a different situation i use them in.

Tater
@BamaBass Twitter
@BamaBass78 Instagram

fishnchef

Sounds like we have a pattern here.  Glad to see someone else using the "big" powerworms.  A lot of the people I fish with think that they are too much.  I guess I'll just let them believe that, and they can take the snapshots of me with my fish.
lo lo lo lo lo lo lo

Pferox

It might be a little  ~off~ but yesterday while on the airboat I saw a huge bass suck down a 1 or 2 foot cotton mouth in a boil and slurp.
Reel technology has come a long way too, back when I was a kid a spinning reel that would bring in a hawg was rare and was probably a rich man's salt water reel. Now you can find extremely small spinners that will bring in sharks and 50lb cats. With braided and super lines bigger doesn't always mean better.