Baitcast or Spinning?

Started by Rickoos, March 22, 2005, 10:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kal-Kevin

I'll agree on each have a use but my Mitchell reels can do what ever I need. for  speed it is there in the 300x, same as most bait caster,  and I do have one baitcaster for the slop. I can get my line out the same distance that everyone else does so why change what works?

Fishaholic

time and a place for both types of rigs...and not only the situation, but the amount of confidence that we picked up the right rig for that situation comes into play.

...but don't anyone even try to insinuate that a spinning reel can't haul a pig out of the slop...I did it for years before I discovered some of the advantages of a baitcasting rig.

if it's workin, don't knock it.

Javelin 409

I like to use a 7ft berkley with a tarantula reel, economy package, I use it for bombing scumfrogs and throwing senkos/splitshot lizards and whacky worms.  I did bust off 3 fish in Missouri last week, cost me a limit.... broke down and put some spiderwire on that bad boy. >:D
they both have a place in the boat.

Fishaholic

Always was partial to Berkley rods...in fact for the most part, I only own 3 brands...Berkley, BPS and Fenwick...with a smattering of Shimano's and Cabela's thrown in.

Javelin 409

I am too fish.  I like a berkley rod with a shimano reel.  Those tarantulas aren't bad STSP2200 for a spinning reel, 8 bb's 5:3:1 gear ratio and only $25 @ Wally World.

Randy

I have both because everybody says I need a spinning outfit.  I have NEVER put it on a rod.  I use a baitcaster exclusively and have never felt the need for the spinning reel.

dimockcarp

Spinning for ultralite and finesse fishing works for me while dense cover and snaggy areas baitcasters. Both serve a purpose on the water. I last alot longer with spinning reels, while a baitcaster after casting all day wears out the wrist and arm. Maybe just me...
There are no bad days, but better days spent fishing....

Mike Cork

Nope not just you Dimockcarp, I am the same with you I like the spinning gear for light tackle and finesse fishing. I think the bait caster wears us out faster, more because of the style of fishing it is used in. Heavy cover and a lot of wenching of fish out of this stuff ;)

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

dimockcarp

One more option most forget about is a triggercast, great for smaller bass and crappies in heavy brush. Specially well designed for drop shot around sunken trees. I can get heavier lines and let line out very quickly. Sometimes easier to use in tight situations. Alot of experienced fisher's do not like this setup, but I've found they work rather well, and can be a middle man sorta speak.
There are no bad days, but better days spent fishing....

blake711

It was a painful process learning to fish baitcasters as a kid on my dads garcia reals..but once I learned I will never fish anything else.. I like precision casts and I like Torqe.  The baitcaster is my favorite.. I only use spinning on ultralight stuff.. 

I used to tell a buddy of mine never trust a man with a spinning real we were fishing a couple weeks ago and guy passes us by and he is missing a leg and fishing with a spinning real out of his boat..  The guy said he Just lost the biggest bass he ever seen..  As we moved on I said yup never trust a man with a spinning real then my buddy said.. Shoot You Should REally never trust a one legged man wiht a spinning real...  I bou fell out of the boat from laughter..

Bassfshr4e

i use a spinning. i am thinkin about pickin up a baitcast one though! but i heard it is kinda hard to use!
GONE FISHIN!!!

CouchTater

Like i said in my earlier post, i like to use my spinning rig to swim the big worms.  I also use it to fish lizards the same way.  The reel i use has pulled some big fish from the grass.  As far as torque goes,  it seems to pull the fish up as good as my other reels.  I would like to have a rod with more backbone than the one i have it on.

I agree with Mike on the fatigue factor.  I will switch to my spinning reel when i feel like im wearing my arm out.  Which it doesn't take much nowadays, (too many sports related injuries). 

As of right now, i have the same color lizard on two reels.  One on my spinning reel, texas-rigged with a 1/8oz weight.  The other is on a baitcaster, weightless t-rigged June-Bug Zoom Lizard.   

Tater
@BamaBass Twitter
@BamaBass78 Instagram

Pferox

Tater, what kind of rod you using on your spinners?
MIne go from medium all the way up to heavy, although the med heavy and heavy seemed to get a little pricie, they are beginning to sell a wider variety of rods for the more money conscious angler now a days tho.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

topcat

there is no comparison the spinning reels are the ones to take to the dance. There are so many places a baitcast can't reach. with the spinning reel you can hit those spots that are often past by due to the difficulty involved in the cast. And then there is the line size and the finess that you can only get with a spin cast reel......Spinning in Oklahoma...Topcat..... :)   

cmegee

I think it depends on what you are comfortable with, I can not fish as well with spin cast outfits as I can with bait casters. I feel more comfortable with a baitcaster therefore I use it more and do a lot more with it than others would.

left_turn56

I have just started using a baitcaster after being a spinign guy for years. I can see some advantages, but it will take some time to get used to it!

Where are we going...and why are we in this hand basket???

Steve_W

I just switched my worm rod(T-rig and weightless) this year from a old (15 year) bps graphite 6 ft spinning rod with a Mitchel t 30(10 lb power pro line),to a 7 ft bps xps casting rod with a Shamano Curado 200BSF reel(10 lb power pro line) and I love it I get the same distance and accuracy with the added leverage of the bait caster, I carry the old one just in case but haven't had to pick it up yet this year.
I also tried using it with a blade bait for whit bass also but went back to a spinning rod ,while it did work my arm was hurting after a few casts, So they both do have their place.

Creel Limit Zero

I tried baitcasting a couple of years ago.  After a few backlashes  :'(, I threw in the towel :surrender:

After the lost fishing time that morning, I didn't see much the point in baitcasting.  Always used spinning before, and since. 

Bassfshr4e

people say baitcasters are hard to use at first i was gunna try one but i think i will stick with my spinning :)
GONE FISHIN!!!

left_turn56

What is the trick to casting light weight lures with a baitcaster????

Where are we going...and why are we in this hand basket???

OHbassaholic

A good super free spool reel, line and rod.  The best set-ups I can recommend would be Chronarch SF, Castaic SF with either Power Pro or Stren Magnaflex line.  The rods I have good luck with in light lure application have been MH 6' custom from CountryKat, MH 6'6" Falcon Lowrider and BPS Extreme (Woo Daves) spinnerbait rod.  These are my recommendations from personal experience.

bass1cpr

Left Turn there's no trick just time and practice and a good quality reel. Super free's make it even easier. You must educate the thumb and ears. You'll get use to the sound of a reel with time and judge distance at night by sound.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Ron Fogelson

Quote from: Bassfshr4e on June 09, 2005, 12:11:07 PM
people say baitcasters are hard to use at first i was going to try one but i think i will stick with my spinning :)

Bassfshr4e, I also felt a baitcaster was much harder to cast then my spinning gear.  I grew up with a zebco 202 & then on to open-face reels.  About 3 years ago I tried my 1st baitcaster & after 2 or 3 hours of nightmarish back lashes & over runs, short casts I reached my boiling point & broke the rod ripping the reel off of it & through the reel as far as I could in the lake!  :'(   Yes I had a tempertantrum  ~bu  If that wasn't enough 6 months went by & I did the same thing, yep another   ~bu   

I kept getting crap from my friends who liked baitcasters because I used open face reels & finally found one that let my try a few of his & showed my how to set it up right.  I went out and spent more money then I wanted, but got a good rod & reel.  Followed his advice and have been using baitcasters for 95% of my fishing eversense.

It does take some practice to get it down, and over runs still happen but I like the increased casting distance, the fact that my arms are not as wore out after fishing as they once were from using openface reels & the increased hookset & fighting ability with this setup is much better then what I had been using.

When you are ready to try them out, get the best you can afford, set the spool tension so when you engage the release the bait falls to the ground but the reel stops spinning without over-running.  Then start out pitching & flipping until you get a good feel with your thumb to help stop the reel before you try side arm or over hand casting.  Once you are ready move to side arm & increase you casting distance while letting your thumb rest on the reel spindle to help prevent over runs & then move on to the over hand cast.  When casting over hand, unlike spinning gear turn your reel one quarter turn left or right, what ever you feel comfortable with.  I cast left handed & turn rod & reel one quarter turn to the right so the reel handle is my leading edge while casting over hand.  I'm not sure why but this helps considerable with over hand casts. 

Once you get a good comfort level on the above you can start backing off the spool tension, this will increase your casting distance yet again but beware less tension=more casting distance=bigger and more frequent chances for over runs.

If you have any questions or just want to chat about what works for you re-post & let us know how your doing.

P-E-A-C-E-!
Fogy

bassmaster135

I would say use what ever your confident and confortable using would be the best thing ~shade

conniek

well, you know what. I don't think it makes much difference now days. some of the spinning reels now days are being built pretty darn tough and can handle alot. I think anglers also like the weight of some of the spinning reels altho the baitcasters are pretty light also. And using braided line on the spinning reels also helps. We are doing alot of crappie fishing this time of year here on Fork as it is just too hot to bass fish and I landed a huge bass  yesterday fishing with my shimano  solstace 2000 and I had sequar 8 lb flurocarbon. What a picnic and we saw the bass jump, i managed to get it to boat and hubby grabbing net, however, we  knew a limb right below boat and gosh, under the limb and that was end of show. probably a 20 incher. GRR!
anyway, i  feel if you are comfortable with the spinning, then use it. After yesterday, I need to get comfortable with my chronarch again. LOl  conniek
conniek-Gycb Pro Staff,Ask about our maint. video and training school- SEE US IN DEC ISSUE BASSMASTER