Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rods for Jig fishin  (Read 3626 times)

calincalif50

• Charter Member
Rods for Jig fishin
« on: March 29, 2005, 04:33:37 PM »

Ok your opions please...which rod woud be the best choice for all arouund fishing.  All have baitcasters

here are the rods I currently own that I think would be even close for a jig rod

Shakespere 6'6" Ugly stick Med Hvy
Daiwa Ex Hvy 7' 9"
Shimano "Catana" Med Hvy 7'
Abu Garcia Med Hvy 6'
BPS Med Hvy 6' 6"
Shakespere 6' 6" Med Hvy

and finally

Fenwick Med Hvy 7'

Da FISHINKING

• Largemouth
  • Time for some HAWG Wrangling!!
    • Damage Inc. Fishing Team
Re: Rods for Jig fishin
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 04:50:33 PM »

I can't wait to see some opinions on this...personally I use a 6' Shakespere Synergy Med/Heavy.
So. Cal Bass Wrangler
B.A.S.S. Member
BassArmy Member
Sponsors: www.sqwormtackle.com www.harttackle.com www.ambushlures.com www.persuaderlures.com

Fish On

• Ultimate Basser
  • 5lb 3oz bass, caught on Tube!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 04:57:25 PM »

Shimano "Catana" Med Hvy 7' I just bought that plus a quantum energy baitcasting reel
Alluringbaits.com        Fish307.com             Protackle.net
Boatboys.com            Furryfishbaits.com    Sunrizetackle.com    cbshawgsauce.com  
Secretweaponlures.com         Pourboyplastics.com

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 05:13:59 PM »

Man talk about pressure ~sweat even two rods made by the same manufacturer can be different. That BPS rod is it and extreme? If so that would be my first choice. And I would have to go with the Shimano next. Now this is taking into consideration that you will be casting, pitching and working deep water with it, an all around kinda rod. If you found your self a flipping situation I would go with the Diawa, simply for it's length and being a very stout rod.

Now that would be a starting point for me, all those rods you listed would make a good jig rod, but I would have to feel them and see how they felt and how sensitive they are.

A tip: when fishing deeper water always try to keep a finger on the line in front of the reel, it will definitely help you feel strikes better
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

calincalif50

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 05:20:02 PM »

yes the BPS is an extreme.  right now I have the shiimano with 17 lb florocarb, its pretty sensitive, how much I'll have to get one of my buddys to tell me...I used it to pitch some 1/2 oz - 3/4 oz hammerin hare jigs in Feb with no bites...just not used to using jigs at all, hopefully the finessee jigs wil begin my education inot jig fishin.  The Daiwa I use for my swim baits as its stout and long.

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 05:23:23 PM »

I know that the finesse jig will put lots of fish in the boat for you. I like to use a gene larew salt craw as a trailer, pinch it off right in the middle where the worm body meets the flat part of the craw. Awesome combination ~c~ small compact and a bass can't resist it.... Keep us posted on how it goes :-*

Cork's Reel Service

calincalif50

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 05:25:05 PM »

Think I'll try them at Santa Margarita if they come in before I head up there next week

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 05:58:26 PM »

Jim is very good about getting them out you might have them before this weekend if you ordered them yesterday or today :-* Don't forget to dip them claws in some chart. dye :-*

Cork's Reel Service

OHbassaholic

• P.O.W. = Prisoner of work.
  • Ultimate Basser
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 06:18:05 PM »

You have some descent rods to pick from there, Cal.  For some extra sensitivity, you might want to check out the All Star Select series rod.  For $60 it is as sensitive as a St. Croix in my opinion.  If you have a Dick's Sporting Goods out you way, that's where you'll find them.

If no DSG in your area, check out another series of rods by All Star.  You will be surprised at what you get for the price.

calincalif50

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 07:59:51 PM »

thanks will have to go direct to dealer or see if BPS has them,,,maybe tackle wherehouse has them..I remeber sometime ago seeing some..but not sure

Tritonrob

• Ultimate Basser
  • TR21X 225 Pro XS
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 11:09:49 PM »

Wow for jigs though choice.  I actually use 3 rods for jigs.  I use a Quantum Tour 6-0 med heavy for finese jigs.  I use a 6-10 Quantum PT Medium Heavy for most of my jig fishing.  For really heavy flipping I use a Quantum Tour 7-6 Flipping stick.  My overall favorite that I do use most of the time is the 6-10 PT.  Its an awesome rod.  I was using these even before I was able to get on their pro staff.  These are by far the most sensitive rods I have owned and they are back by a life time warranty.

fishing nut

• Smallmouth
  • FnG
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 08:43:37 PM »

I would go with a diawa tough and light series 7'6" pitching and flipping rod. I can easily make pitches out to 35' with a 3/8 jig, it has all the back bone you need and then some not to mention it is very sensitive and light which is good on the arm. Fish on i have never heard of a shimano Catana rod.

Fish On

• Ultimate Basser
  • 5lb 3oz bass, caught on Tube!
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 08:55:09 PM »

I would go with a diawa tough and light series 7'6" pitching and flipping rod. I can easily make pitches out to 35' with a 3/8 jig, it has all the back bone you need and then some not to mention it is very sensitive and light which is good on the arm. Fish on i have never heard of a shimano Catana rod.

Its the catana I believe im not exactly sure theres 2 that I saw one was 200 bucks and one was 70 bucks

I got the 70 one which I know starts with a C  :roll2:

Alluringbaits.com        Fish307.com             Protackle.net
Boatboys.com            Furryfishbaits.com    Sunrizetackle.com    cbshawgsauce.com  
Secretweaponlures.com         Pourboyplastics.com

Ron Fogelson

• See You On the Water
  • Admin
  • IMPULSE RODS! Never lets you down in a fight
    • Kistler Custom Fishing Rods
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 02:06:33 PM »

Hi calincalif50

I'm with Mike in this one I like the BPS Med Hvy 6' 6" extreme even more so if it has the power hump handle.  Fits me the best & is very sensitive & Stout.

I would try the Shimano "Catana" Med Hvy 7' next I like them but have broken 2.  Now that was with 50lbs braid line & both were on the hook set.

I wouldn't recommend the Shakespere 6'6" Ugly stick Med Hvy as IMHO even the heavy rods still have way to flexable tip to get a good hook set on a jig or anything other then a crankbait or topwater bait. Ether one of these type of lures needs more of a tip load hook set rather then a straight yank & pull.

As far as the others I have never used them.  Best thing is to play around a bit, you might find that with your style of fishing one works better for you then me.

Good Luck
Fogy

Richard Cooper

• Smallmouth
  • FnG
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 06:42:25 PM »

I am gonna have to go with the shimano.  This would be my choice out of the ones listed because it is the only rod listed that has the length as well as the sensitivity.  If you want to really go the distance and take your fishing to the next level check out Kistler rods.  Take a look at the new helium lta's at www.kistlerrods.com
Richard Cooper

Kistler Rods, Albackore Tackle Storage, Kidlizard Bait Company, Tripple Fish Lines

calincalif50

• Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 07:26:39 PM »

Well I appreciate all teh comments,, since I've heard many and do value them all...the shimano with 17 lb and the BPS with 12 will be the ticket for me I hope,  maybe the shimano with heavier jigs 1/2 oz or above and the BPS for those below for more finesse work
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 34 queries.