Braided line

Started by im4dei, April 09, 2008, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dug

Thanks Fogy, I think I got my first wiffled spool after reading that, so all credit to you for the idea.  ;D  I personally don't remember the discussion with regard to uproar, seemed like it made sense to me and went with it.

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Ron Fogelson

Quote from: Dug on April 17, 2008, 03:56:30 PM
Thanks Fogy, I think I got my first wiffled spool after reading that, so all credit to you for the idea.  ;D  I personally don't remember the discussion with regard to uproar, seemed like it made sense to me and went with it.

Dug

Yep thats all I did, saw all the talk about backing and such and didn't like the idea of an extra knot in my line so I tried it.

Might not have been an uproar that's a little harsh, but some sure didn't like the idea much.   ~roflmao

Pferox

I am a firm believer in "whatever works".
The point of the matter is that you have to do something other than just wrapping braid around the spool and going with it, that is pretty much guaranteed to slip.

I haven't worked with a whiffled spool, so can't say.

I have tried to back a spool to save money and have gotten bitten with loosing a fish, and on another salt occasion, not having something weaker than the reel, lost the reel. Dunno, it all hadsto do with where and how you fish I guess.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

GotstaFish

Quote from: cjr4497 on April 17, 2008, 08:59:59 AM
that is the way i see it too just old fisherman.

i tell you what, you find me the bass that will peel a half a spool of braid down to the backing and i will  ^-^ a :chick

lo  not trying to offend you. it is just that no bass on earth will peel out that much line. i have caught 20+ pound saltwater fish on my bass gear that couldn't do it.
It would be pretty tough to offend me and I speak from years of experience of using braid.. It was mentioned to have only enough braid for a long cast, that was my main point but, I spool completely with one solid piece of line not only for piece of mind but for performance as well. I never liked the feel of the knot hitting my thumb on long casts either and no matter how far down in the spool the knot is you can feel it.
[Please enable JavaScript to see this content]

OutdoorFrontiers

Quote from: Dug on April 17, 2008, 02:56:10 PM
Steve,

I too agree with you, out fishing one day, throwing white swim jig, I hooked up with a nice size muskie, and glad I had that braided line all the way to the spool.  Now I was fishing from shore, and got that muskie all the way to the waters edge before I slacked,  then he twisted and threw the jig.   

Question, what do you back the braid up with?  Also does anyone tie Braid directly to a spool that has wiffles on it, through the wiffle or is that a bad idea??? I have, and have experienced no problems but haven't been spooled on it either.

Dug

I don't back the braid up with anything.  I simply tie on and put a square of electrical tape to secure the line to the spool.  I've had several whiffle spool reels that I've tied the line through and that works great too.  Yes, I "might" bend the spool or axle, but I'm willing to take that chance.

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

Just_Old_Fisherman

As soon as I have a West Texas Muskie spool me, I will stop using cheap mono backing.  Until then I will save $3/spool, since I am not one of the wealthy one's.   Also have caught LMB up to 9+ and know it never took more than 3-4' on a run---that is 3-4 foot not even yards.
aka: links_man2

kybartus

~shade  Never fished the braided line was looking at it and went for the tough old school Trilene...

Is Braided worth the money for the average fisherman???

Dug

I think so, but it's really a matter of opinion and taste.

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Pferox

Quote from: kybartus on April 18, 2008, 11:55:06 AM
~shade  Never fished the braided line was looking at it and went for the tough old school Trilene...

I've got a heavy salt setup that I use 80lb line on. I don't use it too often, and because of steel leaders and such don't cut the main line too often. Each time I took it out to use, about once or twice a year, I found that the mono had deteriated enough that I had to replace the line.

Now, I have had the same braid on it for so long that I don't remember the brand (well over 4 years), and it will still drag my truck in neutral across the ground. Since I have moved to TX. I probably will be lucky if I get a chance to Shark fish once every few years, but I know that braid will be good to go when I need it.

Of course, this example may be extreme and not reflect your needs, but for strength, durability, and an all around long lasting line, I think it is well worth the extra cost.

My cat fishin rods have braids on em almost as old as my shark rod in 30 and 40lb, I use leaders and swivels on these rigs, so I don't cut line as often as bass fishin. Those rods, until recently were used on average two or more times a week.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

OutdoorFrontiers

Quote from: kybartus on April 18, 2008, 11:55:06 AM

I believe it is.  For one thing, because of the no-stretch properties of braided line, you have unmatched sensitivity for feeling not only bites, but exactly what the lure is doing.  The no-stretch also means you're going to get great hooksets, even at the end of a long cast.  The smaller diameter means you can get lighter lures down deeper in current flow situations.  Also, if you backlash a baitcaster or tangle a spinning reel and kink the line using mono, it has now become weakened and should be replaced.  You can backlash all you want with braid, kink it beyond recognition and once the tangle is cleared, the line is just as strong as it always was.

I used to replace mono line weekly with my guide service, but with braid, I can get at least a complete season out of the line, providing I haven't cut and re-tied too often.  Then I run the line from one reel to the next, reversing it and using the "like-new" section of line that was still on the spool.

Braided line also doesn't appear to break down from exposure to the sunlight as mono does as well.

So yes, while braid does cost more, it actually saves you money in the long run, providing you're changing mono as often as you really should.

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv