Why don't the PROS talk about Co-Polymor lines that much??..........

Started by kickurbass, April 24, 2008, 02:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickurbass

It seems it's either Mono - Fluro - Braid.
If I'm correct mostly Mono, right?

Anyhow, for the 2nd question.........Do you think Co-Polymor is UNDER RATED??
Fishing memories with dad.
NOTHING BEATS IT!

Futurebassmaster

Sometimes yes... Personally I like to use copolymer and not mono...but that is just me.  It is all psychological.  I use flouro for basically everything cept for grass, or topwater.  Then I use braid for grass and frogs, and copolymer for plugs/spooks.

WRBass

The distinction between "mono" and "copolymer" is not well defined. Mono is used to describe both Nylon monofilament and Nylon copolymer filaments. Hybrid copolymer co extruded fluorocarbon like Yo-Zuri is another class of lines.
P-Line CXX for example is a copolymer Nylon line, called "mono" by most bass fisherman. Fluorocarbon lines range from 100% fluorocarbon to co extruded copolymer filament core with fluorocarbon outer jacket or hybrids.
Gets confusing, so fisherman just say "mono" or "fluoro", it's easier.
WRB

Pferox

Its intersting you should bring this up.

What we call monofilament as a type of line, is actually a description of the line, not what it is made from, one "filament" whereas braid is multifilament line that is braided to form the line, another descriptor.

Based on that, Fluorocarbon line should be called mono also, but because it is made up of a specific chemical, thus the designation.

Just like Dacron line, which is seen a lot in the salt field, it is usually a braid, but it is specified by what it is made from.

The reason I say this is because I have noticed while reading some advertisements on the web for different lines they state that they are monofilament, or mono as we think of it, but if you read the description it states that is is a copolymer blend.

It almost sounds like they are startin to move copolymer lines into the mono class.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Bass 24 7

I used to fish alot of Fluoro but anymore I use  GAMA Copolymer for most situations.I only use Fluoro now for gin clear water,like Table Rock,etc.I like the way Copolymer line behaves,even on spinning tackle,and it is much more abraision resistant than mono.It also costs less than fluoro lines.

kickurbass

NOTHING BEATS IT!

bassinbrad

I use a myriad of different lines. On spinning tackle I use Fireline Crystal 10lb for smallies in rivers. In lakes I will use 8lb Flourocarbon on my spinning reels for shaky heads, finesse presentations.
On my casting reels I will use 14 lb Cajun, 14 flouro for crankin' , 40 lb braid for flippin' jigs into tight cover.

Bass 24 7

As far as your ? about it being underated,I would have to say yes it is.I push the Gama alot to guys that I think it will help in their lure presentations.I still need to drop shot deep with it a few times to see what I can feel with it past 25',but down to 18-20' it works very well for me,but thats Gama.I could not stand the Yozuri hybrid,took it off the same day I put it on,but some guys like it.You have to use what works for you and for what meets your fishing needs and applications.I can tell you I flipped/pitched a 3/8 oz Boo jig today on 25 lb Gamma coploymer,caught some nice fish including some 19"s,in heavy brush(cedar), dead curly pond weed and lots of downed trees and willows.And after checking my knot  a few times,the line was in great shape,never had to retie,and behaves almost like mono.I think you will see more pros using and touting it in the future.

J B

I don't like co-polymer lines...I feel that once the line is nicked that it is weaker and prone to break easier than nicked mono or fluorocarbon especially with the lighter lines.Just my take on it..

bassnman30

Some co-polimers are not the same as others. I tryed Suffix on my spinning combo and it was stiffer than others. P-line is a good co-polimer I have gotten to where I use it alot on my spinning reel. I think the abrasion resistance is better than other co-polimers and it works great for my shakey head baits. I was using flouocarbon but I have as many strikes using co-polimers line.

Pferox

I believe that most of the "Pros" have to talk about their sponsors' products. Right now Florocarbon is the hot topic, and I suppose it is very profitable for many of the manufacturers. So I would suppose that is the one sponsors say to push and talk about, Ya know?
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

kickurbass

I will start another thread about this but I just purchased P-LINE CX Co-Poly line.
I will spool it up sometime this week and give my feedback everyone.
OK, look out for my new thread!!!!!!!!!
J.
NOTHING BEATS IT!

bassnman30

Have not any problems with my P-line co-polimer. Been using it on my spinning reel for 4-5 trips. No twist, casts well, very satisfied.