Brunswick buys Triton Boats

Started by Tritonrob, May 31, 2005, 10:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tritonrob

Well I had heard this rumored for a long time, but it became a reality today Brunswick purchased Triton Boats.  Here is the full story for those interested:

Brunswick Acquires Triton Boats
LAKE FOREST, Ill., May 31 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Brunswick Corporation (NYSE: BC) announced today that it has acquired Triton Boat Company, L.P., a leading producer of fiberglass bass and saltwater and aluminum fishing boats. Triton will remain based in Ashland City, Tenn. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

"With Triton, we continue the important and critical work of filling white space within our product line-up," explained Dustan E. McCoy, president of the Brunswick Boat Group (BBG). "In addition to Triton's fine saltwater and aluminum products, we now have one of the leading bass boat brands in the industry and can better meet our dealers' and consumers' needs for these products."

Earl Bentz, Triton's founder, will continue as president of the division. In addition, Bentz will become a Brunswick spokesperson concerning fishing activities, dealer development and alignment, and industry matters. He will also provide advice and assistance in product development for fishing product, reporting to McCoy.

"We are pleased to welcome Earl Bentz back to the Brunswick fold," said George W. Buckley, chairman and chief executive officer of Brunswick Corporation. "Long a leader and an innovator within the boating community, Earl began his marine career more than 30 years ago as a race boat driver for Brunswick's Mercury Marine Group. Earl's dedication to enhancing the fishing experience, his adherence to top quality, and his introduction of new marine technologies are a complement to our ideals and objectives at Brunswick."

Triton factories will remain in Aberdeen, Miss. and Ashland City. Triton employs approximately 600 people and makes boats ranging from 12 to 35 feet. Triton's sales were approximately $156 million in 2004.

cmegee

I'd heard that this was coming,would  not be suprised with all the influence of BASS has on things now that they had something to do with this.

left_turn56

I am just waiting for the bowling jokes!!!!
left_turn56

Where are we going...and why are we in this hand basket???

cmegee

Well I wasn't BOWLED over  lo
others will be soon to follow I'm sure.

left_turn56

Hope they don't strike-out..hehe

left_turn56

They might end-up in the gutter...

Tritonrob

Ouch hope not guys have to see what happens. Brunswick owns a lot of other boat companies too

cmegee

Looks like Mercury will SPARE Bentz's job with Triton.

seriously do you think that they will try to use only Mercurys sort of like the skeeter/yamaha thing.

left_turn56

they might need to go to SPLIT shifts...

Randy

It is not that Triton/Brunswick will not use other motors, it is that other motor companys will not seel to Triton/Brunswick.  Does not matter though as Mercury is the best anyway. I think what we will see is failure in customer service.  That is where the big companies cut first!

Tritonrob

I hope I'm just limited to a Mercury.  If so might not be getting a new Triton next year lol.  Alos hope the customer service isn't sacrificed.  Right now their customer  service is awesome. Time will tell.

blake711

Should be interesting to see Rob.. I would bet its pretty likley since Bass got in the deal with Mercury and Triton last year as official boats for BASS..

The thing that gets me is that Tritons took off like they have after their initial fiasco with cracked hulls and stringer issues..  I had a friend bought a brand new Triton in 97 I think it was and had it in the dealer in less than a month for it being cracked..    At that time I thought they were finished but they sure pulled a rabbit out of the hat.   In less than 10 years they are one of the power players in boats now.  Makes sense they would sell out now to Brunswick.. Thats how most companies do it.. Build the name and then cash out.. 

Tritonrob

Well Earl has been real close with Mercury which is owned by Brunswick sicne he had raced speed boats.  Wouldn't surprised at all if they helped him get Triton off the ground.  May be Earl is bored and going to be moving on.

HoosierAngler

Brunswick has their hands in alot of things- they also own Quantum/Zebco and Browning. I hope it is a good thing- Triton boats are awesome! ;D

cmegee

If I was a betting man I would think that Earl has something on his plate, he always seems to come out of these things in awesome shape.

bass1cpr

Triton is not Earl bentz's first boat he's been designing them for many years. Javelin Stratos just to name a couple. As far as engines if they sell it they will put it on any boat you want.It's just that a package deal might be cheaper. I know several people that left Skeeter when Skeeter demanded that they use Yamaha instead of Mercury.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Yitbos78

Well, we also know that Brunswick also owns Attwood Marine! Keep buying Attwood parts/pumps....I sell them all of their fasteners!!!!!!  lo

Yitbos78

For that case too....anytime you buy a boat/canoe by KL Industries, Ameriform, Johnson Outdoors/Leisure Life...your helping me out as well  ;D

cmegee

how does the triton aluminum stack up to the rest of the market.

Rickoos

I have been looking at a 197 mag just this week and I must say it is a fine rig........but at 25,000 with a merc 150 oxptimax,,,,, it's close to a glass rig.....this one had all the bells & whisters

Ricky
sponsors:
American Bass Angler Pro Staff, R & M Tackle, K & M Custom Rods, Secret Weapon Lures,Vicious Fishing Tournament Team, Driftwood Lures,  Fish Hedz/Save Phace,

cmegee

Only problem, once you get a 150 or better hung on the back, none of them are cheap :roll2:

Rickoos

that's true Chris,,,,,
the one they had to show had a 200 opitmax on it,,,,,,,way to much motor for what I need............
I was going easy with the 150......

Ricky
sponsors:
American Bass Angler Pro Staff, R & M Tackle, K & M Custom Rods, Secret Weapon Lures,Vicious Fishing Tournament Team, Driftwood Lures,  Fish Hedz/Save Phace,

cmegee

That's kinda me too.
I'm looking for a 19 ft with a 175 at the max.
but the 18 with a 150 would work too...

blake711

Rickoos I was looking at one of those 197s also.. Dosen't make sense for that kinda cask for an aluminum boat. 

I think once you break 15 grand or so for an aluminum you might as well go glass..

Tritonrob

The Triton aluminum is a nice rig.  However Ido agree if your spending that much cash you can get into a really nice glass boat.