Walnut Creek June 10th

Started by Futurebassmaster, June 11, 2008, 03:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Futurebassmaster

Was out for about 2 hours before dusk.  Caught quite a few.  Caught some on jigs swimming them through brush piles.  Also, on spinnerbaits in brush.  Then also on frogs in the grass.  If there are frogs around, move on...no bass around.  But, the fishing was good.  Alison, girlfriend, caught a lot of bluegil on worms and bobbers, so get those kids out there for a good time!

coldfront

Quote from: Futurebassmaster on June 11, 2008, 03:48:44 PM
If there are frogs around, move on...no bass around. 

you know, that's so simple I can't believe I did NOT make the connection.  Figuring frogs aren't real active when they know JAWS is lurking beneath the matt... :shocking:

thanks for helping me 'see the reality'... ~c~

Assuming the water's not completely turbid in all areas of the lake?

Thinking those bass are getting ready to stage in deeper portions where they set up for summer feeding...what were water temps?

Futurebassmaster

73-75 degrees.  I didn't get a chance to fish any deeper than 8ft because of trying to get Alison some fish also.  But, in the 8ft I did catch some with the jigs and spinnerbaits.  They were in the tops of the trees though.

complac3ncy

If anyone catches a LMB with a spro bronzeye jr frog in its brain send me a PM.  ~rant
I was out over the weekend too but every fish I caught in 6ft or more of water was probably less than 10 inches. Shallower they got a tad bigger. Was getting bit on or close to the bottom. Couldn't figure out what type of forage I wanted to replicate because of all the irregular weather, so I placed my money on tubes (weighted) and didn't do too bad.

Bassthumb

You mean you actually hooked a fish with a Spro frog?  I have some, and have never buried a hook in a fish with the Spro.  I usually get frustrated and tie on a Scum Frog or HT or Ribbit.  I think the bodies are way to hard...unlike every other brand.  You would think at $7+ each, they would come with a guarantee...LoL.

OBTW, I have never caught a fish on a chatterbait-style lure either!
Retired USAF MSgt (1W071A)            2008 Triton Tr-196
Plattsmouth, NE                  Mercury Optimax 200
B.A.S.S   NE B.A.S.S. Federation   FoMNTT participant (never again)                   Omaha-River City Bass Club

coldfront

scumfrogs work okay...I find SPROs actually better.

And yes, I bury the hooks in quite a few bass with those SPROs... ;)

Key for me was a 7 foot heavy action rod but most important BRAIDED LINE!  completely changed everything...

Now, if I were fishing those frogs on a spinning rod set up (lot more give in those rods) I might have issues...

complac3ncy

I don't miss many fish on spro frogs and I use a 7" MH extra fast tip with 50lb power pro. With a overhead hookset (Sweep sets don't work well i've found) you will drive those hooks right into its noggin.

Chatterbaits: work well when you find the right skirt/trailer combo. Jig it and rip it across grass and mess around and i'm sure you will catch a fish with it.

Futurebassmaster

Quote from: Bassthumb on June 12, 2008, 09:16:45 AM
You mean you actually hooked a fish with a Spro frog?  I have some, and have never buried a hook in a fish with the Spro.  I usually get frustrated and tie on a Scum Frog or HT or Ribbit.  I think the bodies are way to hard...unlike every other brand.  You would think at $7+ each, they would come with a guarantee...LoL.

OBTW, I have never caught a fish on a chatterbait-style lure either!

Seriously?  Never on a spro?  You must be doing it wrong then.. EVERY time I have one hit it and not miss because I move it fast, it is burried in their mouth.