Stren Series

Started by TomG, August 29, 2008, 08:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Boys, Boys!  Let's go out to Cachuma and settle this like real Fishermen!!!!!!! ~gf
Stan

Stan

This came off westernbass northern:

Bass tournament postponed
By MARY WESTON - Staff Writer
Posted: 01/12/2009 09:57:12 PM PST

OROVILLE — The FLW Outdoors Stren Bass Fishing Tournament planned for Jan. 21-24 will be postponed until mid-May because of low water at Lake Oroville.

Don Lee, National Sales Director for FLW, said the tournament was postponed because of the low lake levels, but Lake Oroville will definitely be on their tournament circuit for the next five years.

"Lake Oroville is on our loop now, and we will be there in May," Lee said.

Monday, the lake elevation was 659 feet — the lowest level for Jan. 12 since 1978. This left all the ramps out of water, except for a dirt road at the base of the dam.

Lee said 125 boats had registered for the tournament so far, and it could take up to eight hours for all the boats to launch with the current lake levels.

However, he said the city of Oroville had been excellent to work with, and Lake Oroville is a great lake, so Oroville will be on their venue for Northern California events.

The Collegiate Tournament that was part of this event will also be held at a later date.

The Department of Water Resources has been working on the Bidwell Canyon ramp extension. Bill Cochran, of DWR Oroville division, said the new ramp will add a third launch area in Bidwell Canyon that runs down to 670 feet for low-water launching. This includes a new parking area above the low-water boat ramp.

"The whole project will be finished in mid-February, Cochran said. "We just need to get a little water in the lake."

Cochran said low lake levels are unusual for mid-winter.

DWR is also improving the dirt road launch area at the dam, graveling the road and parking area.

"Both of these improvements, when completed, will provide better and safer access to the lake during low-water level times," said Bob Marciniak of the city.

Marciniak said the city had been notified about the postponement about 3 p.m. Monday, and he immediately sent out a press release.

Chris Jones, a spokesman for FLW, said, "This was a difficult decision to postpone the event. However, the safety of those participating is of major concern as well as the extended times to launch the expected 150-plus boats."

Jones also said postponing the event would allow time for improvements to lake access to be finished.

City and Greater Oroville Chamber of Commerce sponsors of the tournament expressed disappointment, but they said it was in the best interest of the participants.

"We're all disappointed but we're looking forward to when they have it in the spring," said Chris Robbins, of the chamber.

Staff writer Mary Weston can be reached at 533-3135, or [Please enable JavaScript to see this content].
Stan

calincalif50

Do you think the hotel would complain if we all took hammocks and drilled holes in thier walls to accomondate the bolts...doh!   :shocking:

I hope the reschedule for May dosen't come close to the end of the Roosevelt Lake dates.  Could make for very expensive  month.  Still when we all finish in the top 10 the return will help defray most of the cost.

Speaking of the reschedule, anyone up for a mini-trny at Cachuma this month or get in with one of the other trnys on the central coast circuits., ABA, Tri-Valley, etc.  We could make it a partner draw event, all names in a hat and draw for partners for Jan and Feb trnys.  I know I can't sit still not doing some trny until March at Clear Lake, besides need some $$$ to go to Basspro in RanchoC.,

Dean

They are saying mid-May so that will be about a month after Roosevelt, but only a couple weeks before the Delta.  We have a launch in May, but I should be o.k. since I have this forecasted and will have a tech in the shop to fill in for me.  Hope we see specific dates soon. 

Think mid-May will work o.k. for you Stan?

TomG

Dean,

Apology accepted, lets just move on.   

I did withdraw from the Lake Roosevelt tournament before getting confirmed and losing my deposit, I just did not like the logistics of the whole event.  But I will register for the rescheduled Oroville tournament in May that way I still get 3 in.  So I am up for splitting expenses for the Delta and Oroville as I already have my room for clear lake and will keep that one since it's at the host hotel.

I am up for a small tournament at Margarita this weekend, none of us have been to the lake to pre-fish so it should be fair.

Dean

I'm up for it if we can weigh in by like 3:00 at the latest.  I have something at 5 (or 5:30?) in Santa Maria.  It is supposed to be $8 and 8 this year, and $5 for an inspection/wash if you don't have a cable from Lopez or Margarita.  Still think it is the best for big fish short of going to Casitas.

TomG

Actually I went to Lopez about 2 weeks ago and they took my Cachuma tag.  Lopez and Margarita last I heard will both accept a Cachuma tag.  Yea fees did go up that's why I had to purchase my annual pass prior to 1 Jan or I would of had to pay like $30.00 more I think.

Dean

So you have an annual for both lakes, or just Cachuma?  All lakes should take a Cachuma inspection since they are so picky.  Naci has a new advantage since the county fee went away, and they don't inspect at all.  The downside is after a few trips, when you want to go somewhere else, then you need an inspection again.

TomG

I purchased another Lopez/Margarita pass this year.  It's $210.00 for the truck and boat combined.  But after the 1st of Jan I think it went up to $230 or $240 but keep in mind it gets you into both lakes that's why it's more than the Cachuma pass and my Cachuma pass will expire in June or July.  After like 13 trips it pays for itself and I had that many last year between Margarita and Lopez and now that I will be living in Santa Maria and about 30-35 minutes from Lopez I will use it even more.

TomG

Well Stan and Cal, you guys up for Margarita on Saturday??

Stan

Okay I'm in!  We'll see ya out there at around 0630.  I hear the bite is not great unless your throwing buzzbaits all day.  Cal is a no-go.
Stan

calincalif50

Well how was the fishing?  Who own, what did you all use, water depth, water temp, air, skies, more ~gf more  ~gf more  ~gf

Stan

Got this from Westernbass today:

STREN SERIES LAKE OROVILLE EVENT RESCHEDULED FOR MAY 14-16

National Guard FLW College Fishing event slated for May 16

WHAT: The Stren Series and National Guard FLW College Fishing events scheduled for Jan. 22-24 and Jan. 24 respectively at Lake Oroville have been rescheduled for May 14-16 and May 16 because of delays in ramp construction at the Bidwell Canyon Marina in Oroville, Calif. According to officials, ramp construction is now slated for completion around the end of February.

WHO: Stren Series and National Guard FLW College Fishing anglers.

WHEN: Events have been rescheduled for May 14-16 (Stren Series) and May 16 (FLW College Fishing).

WHERE: Lake Oroville, Bidwell Canyon Marina, Oroville, Calif.

NOTES: College teams are encouraged to register early to ensure their spot in the event. College teams may register at collegefishing.com.
Stan

TomG

Looks like I will be calling FLW in the morning to register.

TomG

Well,
I called this morning and signed up for Oroville.  I asked about confirmation on Clear Lake and she said because of the ice storm they had last week it slowed things down and those should go out in the next week.

Stan

Got my re-confirmation for Orroville yesterday with the new dates, how 'bout you guys?  I just hope they don't try and pull another $225 since it has already been paid.  I'll be keeping my eye out for that!
Stan

TomG

I haven't received confirmation for anything yet.  Dean, how many weeks out did you get confirmation last year when you only signed up for 2 events?

Dean

I think it was about 3 weeks before Clear Lake, but I got both confirmations at the same time so the Delta's was early.

calincalif50

I got my Oroville and Roosevelt today,   have a calendar reminder to pay the Clear Lake on the 11th.  Delta confirmation got a couple of weeks ago.

Have paid the balance on Oroville already so just have the clear lake to go this month

Dean

I just called and had them move my Oroville payment over to Clear Lake since they had already billed it before the postponement.  Then they will will bill the Oroville balance by the new deadline.

Stan

Why did you do that Dean?
Stan

Dean

Just so they don't have my money in the bank from January to May for free.  Hope it doesn't mess them up too bad, but I didn't want to leave my money tied up for something I won't get until May.  They still have my deposit. 

Stan

Oh!  I thought that maybe you knew something that we didn't.  I just figured I would leave it alone that way I'm not getting hit back to back for Orroville and the Delta, within a few weeks of each other.
Stan

Stan

Did you hear?  No sten in the west next year.
Stan

calincalif50

yep, no STREN, you could do FLW NG but clear lake isn't on the list