Emmrods, Heard of em??

Started by minijhouston, July 01, 2005, 04:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minijhouston

I was searching the internet for rods last night and i found this website with some weird rods, they are like made of flexoble metal and only like 18 inches long. Anyone heard of the name brand? Emmrods? the website is emmrod.com. Tell me what you think. Waste of time or goo0d investment???

minij
Siggy Removed by admin - over sized - please read the rules.

Pferox

Interesting concept, but I can't see how you can get the same casting performance as a longer rod, must be the spring thing.
I'm concerned about the weight limits on the rods though. Guess you can't catch world record catfish on em, proly bend.
Here is the link, for others to check it out.
WWW.emmrod.com
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

bassmaster_mercury

hey fellow fishing buddies.  i have never heard of these rods here in Canada, but later i will check out the site.  let me know if you find anymore info out like prices, etc.
bassmaster_mercury

CouchTater

It might just be me, but I can't get the site to work.  :-\

Tater
@BamaBass Twitter
@BamaBass78 Instagram

Gman

Never heard of them but i dont think there is any way they are better than the big rods.
!!Garrett Toney Outdoors!!
www.toneyoutdoors.com

FlyRod

Quote from: minijhouston on July 01, 2005, 04:33:12 PM
I was searching the internet for rods last night and i found this website with some weird rods, they are like made of flexoble metal and only like 18 inches long. Anyone heard of the name brand? Emmrods? the website is emmrod.com. Tell me what you think. Waste of time or goo0d investment???

minij

Well, I think that if you mounted one on your dashboard, right next to your plastic Jesus, your AM radio reception would be greatly enhanced.

"I don't care if it rains and freezes, long as I got my plastic Jesus, sittin' on the dashboard of my carrrrrrrrr...... ~an~"

Frankly, I prefer "Boomer Sooner" ;)!

F.Rod

compactfishing

Hi, in my meanderings through fishing sites, I have come upon this page a couple times. I joined tonight so I could respond.  About 5 or 6 weeks ago, I started work as the Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho Emmrod distributor. This forced me into fishing again which I like but had not taken the time to do. I have caught several fish from a small sunfish to a very large rainbow trout as well as some pound plus brook trout.  I have used several versions of the emmrod for these forays and had a thoroughly good time.  But, I would not consider myself anywhere close to being an expert yet.  In my sales efforts, I have had a number of people who have stopped to talk with me. To distill what they did and did not like about the Emmrod here are the short points:  Did not like: In some of the fishing, a long pole was really important.  They struggled with the shortness of the Emmrods--after all they are designed to be compact.  They Liked: The portability. Breakdown is quick, easy and transport to tough areas were great. They liked the ability to shoot the lure where they wanted it. The action was great and the interchangeability between different rod tips and handles was appreciated. No one complained the rod was not strong enough but part of that is getting the right tip for the fish you target. I have met lukewarm users, rabid users and people who keep buying them to give to family who fish because they get positive feedback.  There IS a learning curve as with most new things.  If you have specific questions about this system, feel free to post them and I will try to answer. Different models or tips are designed to handle the little sun fish all the way up to small sharks. Always get the right tool for the job at hand.  The company keeps developing new products as users demand new wrinkles.
Dave Atherton
Atherton Enterprises INC
Emmrod Distributor
www.WhyBuyEmmrod.com
[Please enable JavaScript to see this content]

Choke Canyon Boy

These rods are a alternative to standard fishing poles when space is an issue. Pack rods are rods that break down into several small pieces for storage, however this company has decided to keep them short and use a spring for casting . These rods are not in the same category as standard poles. These are made to take on vacation or kayaking etc. These rods are used in situations when you can't use a standard pole and I would never use this in place of a standard pole if I could avoid it. Speciality rod nothing more.

pawpaw

I seem to remember a short steel rod with a spring from years ago. It wasn't all bent like this one though. Anyway it seems to be a viable alternative to the Popeil Pocket Fisherman.
I don't mind not knowing all the answers, but I keep forgeting the danged questions.

compactfishing

Hi Pawpaw. 

You are correct, the basic Emmrod Packer model was first desinged in the 1930's.  There were actually two types which I have seen.  In one, the spring runs parallel to the rod like the spring in those hand grips you squeeze to make your grip stronger. I saw both one and two spring models of that type.  The other looks exactly like the Emmrod Packer of today. (Sorry, I could not get the photo to paste, here is the link:  http://mycompactfishing.com/packer.htm)  The original developer of the pole did not patent it and it was marketed under several names by different companies under several names including "The Dock Shooter."  I think one of the big differences was the method of connecting the rod to the handle. I know that was a big part of the patenting process on these models.

About ten years ago, the original developer's nephew found one in some of his uncle's stuff and asked for permission to develop it.  He did this and over the years has developed a number of other products to meet the needs of the different fishermen, women and children who have used the Packer.  Thus, we now have The Packer, The Mountaineer w/ an adjustable handle, The Kayak King, The Stream master fly rod, and three heavy duty rods, The Gulfmaster and Gulfmaster II and the Rugged Flex.  Of particular interest to Bass fishermen is the top water rod which is a 22 inch rod tip which fits on any of the handles.  It has a very flexible tip which creates a great action for top water lures from what we are hearing. 

As King Solomon said, "There is nothing new under the sun."  Some ideas are just too good to discard!

Happy fishing as we head into the season.
Dave Atherton
Atherton Enterprises INC
Emmrod Distributor
www.WhyBuyEmmrod.com
[Please enable JavaScript to see this content]