More on Fluorocarbon line...personal opinion...

Started by coldfront, September 14, 2008, 10:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldfront

So, had a tourney this weekend...in anticipation of fishing jigs in the middle of brushpiles, I respooled with 15 lb fluoro (trilene)...worked okay...but this stuff is like cable...

Anyway, ended up putting the 7 foot MH rod with 15lb flouro away and concentrating on using my medium action 6-6 crucial with 10 lb flouro...and dropping IKAs into the brush...took quite a few fish out...no problems with abrasion...but, I just couldn't get into the feel of the heavier flouro...

I'll keep the fluoro on my weightless plastic rigs and cranking rod...but going back to good ole Trilene XL clear=blue flourescent 14 lb test on my flipping/pitching rods...

Gave it a try...did not like it...

Again, personal opinion...

pawpaw

Coldfront,I guess it makes a lot of difference what brand you use. My experience with floro has been vith Berkley Vanish and Transition and my experience is just about opposite from yours. What I used was't stiff at all and cast verry well once I tightened up on the cast controls. My problem was breaking off fish when I set the hook and abrasion resistence around rocks. I went back to Big Game and P Line in 15lb test. I intend to try some other brands when I get the chance. About the only time I get a chance to fish anymore is in tournaments once or twice a month and I don't want to experiment then. Like somebody said on here, you get about as many oponions as there are lines.
I don't mind not knowing all the answers, but I keep forgeting the danged questions.

BassBandit

BIG PAPA

The_Senko_Kid

I bought 15lb  Seagar Floro and do not like it all. It has so much memory to it. I don't know if I spo0led it on wrong or if i got a bad batch. I have also tried to put KVD spray on it and it seems to relax a little bit but still has to much memory for my liking. That is my only experience with florocarbon.  ~gf

Just_Old_Fisherman

I have had good results with 15# & 20# Vicious Fluoro.  I always treat them well with KVD Line & Lure before I go out----required for the 20#.
aka: links_man2

coldfront

will be lots of different opinions...based on how I fish and what I'm willing to 'put up with' I've found the applications where I will use fluoro and those where I'll use braid...and those where I'm going to stick with good old mono... ;D

yes, I AM a dinosaur... ~gator

Baron49

I tried a variety of fluoros and stopped finally with Berkley 100%

Using 8 to 10 lb as leaders for my dropshot....(using 10 lb Fireline as my main line.)

12 lb for flukes, 15 lb for creatures and light jigs in shallow clear water, and 17 lb for worms.  The only memory problems have been with the 17 lb as I will use braid first and if the bite is tough I go to the Berkley Fluoro for fishing worms in clear water weeds.  Seems if the heavier fluoro sits on the reel for a while without being used the memory takes over. 

coldfront

baron, that heavier (15# flouro) just felt too much like cable...personally.   ;D

Baron49

I guess it is all in what we are used too.  On Sunday I went to a lake that has a lot of fishing pressure and could not get bit using my normal 50 lb braid for jig and pig.  Downsized my jig and trailer and started throwing it on the 15 lb Berkley 100% flouro.  While there was some memory in the line at first, after using it for short time it started to go away and after the first fish stretching it there was no more problems the rest of the day.

Personally I like the 12 and 15 lb Berkley 100% when I need to use fluoro.  Have not had the issues with this fluoro that I had with many of the others.  The 17 lb I prefer for worm fishing when the braid is not producing, but I can see the "cable" idea you are talking about.  However, it has not been bad enough to stop me from using it.  The sensitivity and abrasion resistance with it is remarkable compared to Big Game, FlouroClear, Trilene XT and Gama lines.

Warpath

I'm with BB and papa, InViSx is the bomb.  I use 6, 8, and 10 for spinning reels, and I use 10, 15, and 20 # on baitcasters.  I love the stuff.  Sorry you had a bad experience.  I ran through many of the fluoros and din't like them until I hit Invisx.  Now, I would say I use 80% fluoro.  But if you catch fish with 14# XL, I say have at it coldfront.

Eric

coldfront

Quote from: baron49 on September 15, 2008, 11:12:00 AM
Personally I like the 12 and 15 lb Berkley 100% when I need to use fluoro.  Have not had the issues with this fluoro that I had with many of the others.  The 17 lb I prefer for worm fishing when the braid is not producing, but I can see the "cable" idea you are talking about.  However, it has not been bad enough to stop me from using it.  The sensitivity and abrasion resistance with it is remarkable compared to Big Game, FlouroClear, Trilene XT and Gama lines.

I don't have issues with the 10# (crank rods) and 12#(fluke/senko/ika rod) flouro ... in fact used the 12# to pitch weightless plastics into the middle of submerged brush piles...and pull bass out ...short pitches, almost vertical fishing...no issues with abrasion on the flouro whatsoever.

Typically I'd toss the 14# Trilene XL...and just check for knicks after every fish/snag...and after past weekend experience, think I'll be back to that.  

Do I recognize that I'm 'way out in left field' on this issue?  Yes I do...but apparently, I just gotta be me...no matter how wrong, backwards or cave-mannish it is...  ;D  

for the record, the XT always seemed/seems to be relatively brittle to me...

Baron49

If the softer XL works for you then go for it.   ;D

As I said, it is all in what you are used to.  For me, I like trying out different things just to see how they work.  Some are better, some are not, but at least I gave them a try.   Hated fluoro when I first tried it, worked with several different brands and now Berkley 100% is doing better then most.  I do have issues with the UV getting to it, especially in the 12 and 15 lb that I have spooled on my baitcasters.  Seems after a few days fishing in the sun with them laying on my deck it becomes fragile and you have to cut off several yards before being able to tie a knot without breaking the line.  Why doesn't it effect the 17 lb the same way?  According to Spirit Lake it is a known issue and they don't seem too interested in coming up with a solution.  For them what good would it be to make a line that you spooled up in the Spring and would last through the entire year?.....sort of like braid is for some people.  If they ever come up with a flouro/braid combination that did hold up and last.....the price would be so high most would not buy it. ::)

Fshnbudy01

I have to agree with Coldfront about Floro.  Personally, I feel that all this Floro craze will become a fad in a few years.  There is a very limited application where i feel that Floro would be better than Mono.  I have had knots slip with Floro, Ive had it crack and break, Ive found it rigid and inflexible, (regardless of the brand) and Im just not sold on it.  Id rather have an imperfect, visible underwater, abrasion prone Mono that I catch fish with, than a floro that I have no confidence in.  Its easy to strip some mono when you notice a little abrasion on it and retie.  It will usually still have some stretch before it breaks.  If you get abrasion on Floro, it just snaps...there is very little warning.

It seems great for some guys...Im just not one of them.

CHUNKY C

I use XPS 17LB flouro for texas riggn and some pitching jigs etc. But mainly I use P-LINE Flouroclear. I love that stuff. It's pretty much invisible and its stronger than mono and pure flouro. Once you use it a bit it gets limp like trilene xl but has a much higher abrasion resistance. I got it on almost all my reels. My REVO's love it.
DINKS R' US

dawsonb

I use Power Pro Braid and tie on leaders of Florocarbon when necessary. I use a UNI to UNI knot and I recomend to use 2 more wraps on the braid then the floro, in another words 4 wraps of floro and 6 wraps with braid. It is a misconception that Florocarbon has no stretch and that is far from the truth it has a lot of stretch and for this purpose I will use it on cranks, spinners, and buzzbaits.
Thanks and have a great day!

BassBandit

Baron49

Quote from: BassBandit on September 15, 2008, 12:24:06 PM
Do the opposite. Reels facing downward on the deck to keep it from being exposed to the sun. Seem silly I know but, works for me and last longer. Better than regret.

I always keep my reels face down on the deck, it makes no difference.  Just annoying that when you go to re-tie, the knots break until you strip off several yards.  This is the "recommended" way to handle it according to a phone rep at Pure Fishing.  If it were not for the extra feel and abrasion resistance I would go back to P-line or Gama CoPolys.

I am not crazy about using leaders due to the knots, but it might be a better route to use braid for the feel and a Fluoro leader for the abrasion resistance and the invisability.  Got to love tinkering with all this stuff.... ;D

BassBandit

Ron Fogelson

Floro all the way for me thank you very much!   ;D

I have one rod with mono for topwater plugs, that's it nothing else.

Two rods with braid one for punching grass with big tungsten weights and one I use for frogs and vibrashocks when I'm fishing a lot of grass.  One good snap one the braid and it will clear most any grass that gets hung on the blade.

Everything else is Floro.  I use Seager in 15 or BPS in 17 and I do not lose fish like I used to.  Yes I do lose some, but would have to say it's less than 10% or what I used to lose because of the line.

Floro does stretch just not as much as mono but that all depends on who makes the floro and who makes the mono on how much stretch there is.  Also it is much more resistant to nicks however if you do get one you had better retire ASAP or it will snap in a sec.

While I admit line memory ticks me off when I use open face spinning gear it doesn't phase me on baitcasters unless I'm working a weightless sinko or fluke and even then the loops are not enough to effect the action; unless you are fishing an old spool and have stripped off so much line you are down to the last 3rd or less.

Everyone has a rod/reel/boat/truck  - Line they like better than other people for a reason however floro has saved the day for me and made me a true believer.

blake711

Quote from: CHUNKY C on September 15, 2008, 11:55:58 AM
But mainly I use P-LINE Flouroclear. I love that stuff. It's pretty much invisible and its stronger than mono and pure flouro. Once you use it a bit it gets limp like trilene xl but has a much higher abrasion resistance. I got it on almost all my reels. My REVO's love it.
I use this pretty much on everything other than frogs which I use 50# power pro.  I have used lots of diffrent lines and found this the best compromise between floro and mono and its easy on the pocket book.  This stuff is super tough and knots hold. 

Blake

CHUNKY C

I use the bass pro shops reel covers. Easy to get on and off and you can still put it on with the line out. Plus keeps my Revos and Johnny M's looking new.
DINKS R' US

blake711

I was surprised you guys say you put reels face down.  I always put mine up but I hate boat rash.  I use covers but only in travel and storage Chunky C.  To much time to remove and replace as much as I switch between poles.

Blake

BassBandit

Volman

Use the KVD Line & Lure Conditioner the night before you go and a couple of times during the day. It also has great UV protection in it.
Must have for fluro, co-poly, braid and mono too.

Volman