More on Fluorocarbon line...personal opinion...

Started by coldfront, September 14, 2008, 10:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHUNKY C

I use the reel magic but I have wondered how well the KVD stuff works. I like the reel magic pretty good. I spray it on the line and use it to wipe off the rod after fish'n. If any body has used both let us know which you like best.
Quote from: blake711 on September 15, 2008, 02:40:22 PM
I was surprised you guys say you put reels face down.  I always put mine up but I hate boat rash.  I use covers but only in travel and storage Chunky C.  To much time to remove and replace as much as I switch between poles.

Blake

I agree with Blake... I have a couple of Johnny M's and the finish is beautiful. I have always been anal about taking care of my rods and reels. I don't put em on er' time I set it down. I guess I should have explained what I meant a bit  Mo' Betta!!! When I store them and if they are gonna set on the deck for a while I will slip on the cover.

DINKS R' US

Baron49

Quote from: BassBandit on September 15, 2008, 02:46:31 PM
Regardless up or down, correct me if I'm wrong baron, from what he described sound like he's clip the line from spool levelwind, not stripping off the spool because it shouldn't be affected by the UV when the reel faced down or with covers either way.
I am sorry but I really don't understand what you are saying.  I treat all my rods and reels on the deck the same way.  I take the lure, plug, or hook and attach it to the reel seat.  Then make about three wraps of the line loosely around the middle of the rod to stop tangles as I usually have 6 to 9 rods on the deck.  Then I place the rod and reel face down on the deck.  With the 12 and 15 lb Berkley 100% Fluoro after a couple days of fishing I need to cut off several yards as the line breaks when tying a knot.  Was told this is normal UV damage and cutting off several feet to several yards of line from the reel or respooling fresh line more often would stop the problem.  Hope that makes things more clear for you.

Ron Fogelson

Quote from: baron49 on September 15, 2008, 08:14:43 PM
With the 12 and 15 lb Berkley 100% Fluoro after a couple days of fishing I need to cut off several yards as the line breaks when tying a knot.  Was told this is normal UV damage and cutting off several feet to several yards of line from the reel or respooling fresh line more often would stop the problem. 

I leave mine on the deck all the time and NEVER had this issue, not with Stren, Seager or BPS - maybe it's just the berkley   :-\

BIG PAPA

I have seaguar on my jig rod that is well over a year old, I always put my reels line us as I do not like boat rash, never had any issue with line breaking.
I use 10 on my shaky head, 12 on my clear water rods for small worms and flukes, 15 on my jig rod and 20 on my punching rod. I don't think The Seaguar flouro is a stiff as XT which I usually have on my spinnerbait rods.

BassBandit

Baron49

If Berkley 100% is the only one with this UV problem then time to move on and try another fluoro.  Other then this one thing I have no other complaints about the Berkley. 

Seeing how so many like the Seagar I will give this a try next. 

Ron Fogelson

Please do not think I'm knocking Berkley, like I've said before we all like our own stuff.   :)

However I will say the Berkley had/has issue with vanish and some of the same type of manufacturing they use with vanish might be causing some of the issue you are having now.

Warpath

I still use the old blue Vanish for leaders on a carolina rig in clear water.  I haven't had many issues cometo mind, but I just love Seaguar line.  It doesn't seem to matter whether it's CarbonPro or InVisx.  I love both lines  and can honestly say I haven't had any issues with line becoming brittle. 

I will say.  I am one of those fisher people who changes lures a lot.  I re-tie a lot, so I think I go through a lot of line that others might not go through.  Maybe, I use the line faster than most, and it doesn't have a chance to get brittle. 

I dunno.....I guess I'm just thinking to myself.

Eric

Baron49

Interesting about the retying.  I have gotten spoiled with braid and the heavier fluoro and do not retie as much as I used to during the day on the water.  However, I actually thought this was a benefit of the two lines.  Have never slipped a knot in braid and never have had a knot fail in the Berkley 100% once I was using fresh line.  I try to set up my tackle the night before I leave and go through all my rods and retie hooks, snaps, lures etc so I know I have everything ready to go.  This is usually when I find the problem with the Berkley 100%, after that I just strip off several feet to several yards until I can tie a knot without the line breaking then cut a couple more feet off just to be sure.  So far this has worked, but it is just annoying and probably uses more line then if I was retying often like I did with mono.  You just can't win anymore.... ::)

Ron Fogelson

CHUNKY C

I HAVE SPOOLED MY REELS WITH VANISH AND IT BREAKS AS SOON AS I GO FISH'N SO IT'S NOT UV IT'S THE LINE. I HAVEN'T HAD ANY PROBS WITH XPS.
DINKS R' US

Ron Fogelson

Caps Lock - If you know how to turn it on you should know how to turn it off!     ~roflmao

Baron49

Quote from: CHUNKY C on September 16, 2008, 01:02:47 PM
I HAVE SPOOLED MY REELS WITH VANISH AND IT BREAKS AS SOON AS I GO FISH'N SO IT'S NOT UV IT'S THE LINE. I HAVEN'T HAD ANY PROBS WITH XPS.

I agree with you on Vanish and Vanish Transition I had serious issued with those lines.  However, I will say that the Berkley 100% when using fresh line or cutting off what they call the "UV" damamged portion does work well.  Not one broken or shattered line or knot on a hookset, have used it all this year.  Just frustrating when you find something that seems to work there is always a "catch" to it.

Fogy....clean up that mess.   lo

Ron Fogelson

Quote from: baron49 on September 16, 2008, 01:26:41 PM
Fogy....clean up that mess.   lo

It's just the work computer - you paid for it or at least some of your taxes did      lo lo

pawpaw

Quote from: baron49 on September 16, 2008, 12:25:17 PM
.  You just can't win anymore.... ::)
Does anybody know where I can get some of the old cotton line like we used 40-50 years ago? ~roflmao
I don't mind not knowing all the answers, but I keep forgeting the danged questions.

BassBandit

CHUNKY C

ease up frogy. it's my work computer and we leave them on CAPS LOCK so the in house system will recognize it. besides i didn't know this was typing class LOL   ~roflmao
DINKS R' US

coldfront

Quote from: CHUNKY C on September 16, 2008, 01:49:47 PM.. besides i didn't know this was typing class LOL   ~roflmao ...

~read it's always typing class...  ~shhh

(first rule of typing class:  don't talk about typing class... ~shade)

CHUNKY C

DINKS R' US

Ron Fogelson

Quote from: CHUNKY C on September 16, 2008, 01:49:47 PM
ease up frogy. it's my work computer and we leave them on CAPS LOCK so the in house system will recognize it. besides i didn't know this was typing class LOL   ~roflmao

It's Fogy Chicky C      ~roflmao

Just busting you a bit, all in fun; but some folks take all caps as yelling when hanging out in a forum.   ;)

coldfront

hmmm...the voices in my head do scream a lot louder when I'm reading posts written in all caps... ~b~
;D

blake711

Yup nothing you can do about caps lock and Speeling errurs.   I can block images, adds and emoticons that annoy me with my browser but poor spelling and grammar Firefox doesn't have an add on for yet.   As you will notice 99% of my posts are edited because as soon as I hit post I reread it and find an error I made so I have to go fix it. lo

CHUNKY C

My co-workers say I yell when I talk LOL!!! No problem Fogy...I like given people a hard time. I like it better when they give me one back. :toot: ~goof

Chicky C
DINKS R' US

coldfront

my mother-in-law is getting hard of hearing...she's always talking with the CAP lock on ...

CHUNKY C

DINKS R' US