Does anyone fish the ardent Reels?

Started by -Shawn-, November 14, 2008, 11:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Shawn-

I am looking at the F500 Flip and pitch.  Looks very interesting with no level wind and no star drag.
Drag is supposed to be factory set at 28lbs.  :shocking:

ARDENT FS 500

docav

i have been looking very hard at them for the past couple of weeks. they have made a lot of improvements since they first came out. doug

-Shawn-

I am really liking this Flip and pitch, but can't find a price on them.  Delos carries the 1000's and 600's but not these FS500's

docav

i dont think they have hit the market yet. i think it is supposed to come out in 2009. doug

-Shawn-

The idea looks vrey interesting to me!!! If they work like they are supposed to it could really take off.

docav

i know they just signed Denny Brauer which most if not all would consider the king of flippin so it will be interesting to see if he uses that reel for flippin or one of the others. doug

bass1cpr

THe FS500 is either $159 or $139 can't remember ffor sure but I rember seeing the price and was quite suprised at the reasonable cost for a specialty reel.

Now the culling floats they have are really neat also reasonably priced $39.99 a set.

I have a friend that is sponsored by them so I get to see their new stuff a little earlier than most. They like it when their stuff is featured on a nationally syndicated TV series. 
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Mike Cork

Shawn, keep in mind that I am a shimano man, also keep in mind that I have never had an ardent reel on a rod and fished it on the water. However I have taken a couple apart to clean them and was very disappointed.

Originally I was very excited in the All American reel, hoping for a great reel that we didn't have to support foreign manufacturers in our favorite sport. But these reels is way over thought and has a tremendous amount of unnecessary effort put into them. They are a mechanical nightmare on the inside, meaning maintaining them sucks and if I had staid in the business I would have not taken anymore in. So there it is from a mechanical stand point. Now the flipping model is supposed to be much simpler and I like the CONCEPT!

To me the ones I have played with at the counters seemed noisy and were not very smooth. I don't know I just didn't like the feel. Ardent has made a huge jump into the fishing industry and even offers incentives in tournaments like ABA and up through B.A.S.S. so the company is strong. I look for engineering improvements and a better reel in years to come :-*

I don't know if any of that is what you were looking for  ~roflmao

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

silversalmon

Interesting points there Mkike, so you are saying that if you are novice with tearing apart reels and trying to clean and maintain them, avoid doing it, that in itself would deter me from buying one, but maybe they will come up with something a little more maintenance friendly  :-*

United States Air Force 1994-present

Mike Cork

Silver that is exactly what I am saying. With this reel a novice is in for a nightmare. Shoot I was having trouble and I have the tools and the knowledge, and we'll say spare parts (springs are difficult to take on and off these reels because there are many and of their locations). Just not a good reel for someone that likes to clean their own. If a novice were to do it, I would highly recommend doing it inside a plastic bag to catch the springs should they fly off :-*

Cork's Reel Service

-Shawn-

Quote from: Mike on November 16, 2008, 11:12:20 AM
Shawn, keep in mind that I am a shimano man, also keep in mind that I have never had an ardent reel on a rod and fished it on the water. However I have taken a couple apart to clean them and was very disappointed.

Originally I was very excited in the All American reel, hoping for a great reel that we didn't have to support foreign manufacturers in our favorite sport. But these reels is way over thought and has a tremendous amount of unnecessary effort put into them. They are a mechanical nightmare on the inside, meaning maintaining them sucks and if I had staid in the business I would have not taken anymore in. So there it is from a mechanical stand point. Now the flipping model is supposed to be much simpler and I like the CONCEPT!

To me the ones I have played with at the counters seemed noisy and were not very smooth. I don't know I just didn't like the feel. Ardent has made a huge jump into the fishing industry and even offers incentives in tournaments like ABA and up through B.A.S.S. so the company is strong. I look for engineering improvements and a better reel in years to come :-*

I don't know if any of that is what you were looking for  ~roflmao

Mike this is exactly what I am looking for.  I have heard this about the 1000's .
I do like the concept though and the 28 lbs of drag is more than enough.  but I have to be able to maintain it also.  :(

Quote from: Mike on November 16, 2008, 01:36:47 PM
Silver that is exactly what I am saying. With this reel a novice is in for a nightmare. Shoot I was having trouble and I have the tools and the knowledge, and we'll say spare parts (springs are difficult to take on and off these reels because there are many and of their locations). Just not a good reel for someone that likes to clean their own. If a novice were to do it, I would highly recommend doing it inside a plastic bag to catch the springs should they fly off :-*

:shocking: ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao

-Shawn-

Sorry mike I just have this mental image of stuff flying everywhere when you took the side plate off.  ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao

Mike Cork

We'll the first one I took apart was in a tackle shop that let me play with the reels and I actually broke it ~b~ he said don't worry about it because he was sending the all back b/c he didn't like them at all.

Anyone reading this thread should take my sole misfortune with this reel as a over all of the reel or company. They are doing well in the market and are offering great incentives to fish with them so they must be doing something right. :-*

Cork's Reel Service

JBL

I agree with Mike they are a nightmare to clean and service. Personally I would never own one.

Fullspectrum

I know to not judge a book by its cover, but that reel looks  ~fl.

Mike Cork

I wish someone that has used them and enjoyed them would have posted to this thread  :'( I know someone out there has got to have a good review of them  :-\ I would like to know about the durability of the reel. So far we have only speculated and said that it would be a nightmare to self maintain.

Cork's Reel Service

-Shawn-

I walked across the street to cabellas last night and played with one of the 1000's
It was extremey smooth, but Both of he guys working in fishing said they had an enormous amount of them come back broken. More than any other brand they carry.

zamguy

Well crap......I use mostly Garcia reels, but ordered an Ardent 1000 just a few days ago, to check them out.  Not sure if I want to open the box now.
2016 LCB, 250 Merc Pro XS, Lowrance Electronics
GLoomis Rods  Shimano Reels  Power Pro line

Jared LeBlue

Don't know about the reels but I'm getting the smart cull system. Those things are neat. I hope they hold up. Check them out:

http://www.ardentoutdoors.com/products/viewProduct2.asp?prodId=56
Ardent Prostaff

Mike Cork

zamguy be sure to let us know what you think of it  :-*

Cork's Reel Service

zamguy

I'll do that.  I am scheduling some tourneys in January and February in the south this year, and will have a chance to use it, I guess.  I am kind of bummed about the bad pub the reels are getting because I was hoping to go with an american made reel.  We will see what happens.

Ron Fogelson

Quote from: zamguy on November 25, 2008, 09:36:54 AM
I'll do that.  I am scheduling some tourneys in January and February in the south this year, and will have a chance to use it, I guess.  I am kind of bummed about the bad pub the reels are getting because I was hoping to go with an american made reel.  We will see what happens.

If you have the reels don't worry about the reviews just use them and give them a chance.  Everyone likes different things and these just might be what you have been looking for.   ~c~ ~c~

EJP

I worked @ BPS P/T for a few years during school. I worked at the reel counter. We had Ardent for a short time. Here is my assesment with playing with them.

They only had one model then. It was bigger then all other reels. It had to be made out of Magnessium to keep the weight respectable for its size, but was still heavy. As someone pointed out, it's like a Mercedes Benz, you can't be a shade tree mechanic and service them. If I remember correctly it said or says in their warranty that "ARDENT" must service the reel or warranty is void. It ressembles no other reel on the market on the inside, and there are no swapable parts like some manufacturers use. I use to ive demo's on the platform at the fish tank on weekends. I used the ardent baitcast reel (only one at the time) a few times when giving these demo's. On the cast it was smooth, but retreive I could feel the gears... Wasn't a reel on par with the others that were available.
Sponsors:

My Wallet and thats no joke!

zamguy

Got home and opened the box with the XS1000 reel.  My next stop will be the return desk.  This reel may work very well for some, but I have issues with it.  There is a lever sticking out on the bottom, left side of this right-handed reel.  The lever allows the whole left cover plate to open up.  The cover plate is loose, and I can see no way to tighten it.  I am concerned that my hand, glove or not, may accidentally open this cover plate while fishing.  And I dont like that the cover is loose.  I am sorry I will not be able to give youse a better report of using this reel after the fact, but I dont want to use it when I will be 1500 miles from home, and then have problems with it.  I am going to take it back unused.

denis

why are people wrapped around this drag deal?  Its like the new thing.  I dont plan on swinging a 10 pounder not to mention a 28 pounder.   I dont plan on horsing a big fish to the boat anyway.  ;DSo until they come out with a reel that keeps the  fish on Im good with the 10ish pounds that Shimano gives out.  Thats like the fish swiming with a 10lb weight around its waist.   :) :) :) :) :) :)
Lastly the line we usually use is under 20lb, except for braid but do you really think 28lb is a match for the 65lb braid you have? :) :) :) :) :)

I havent actually used an ardent but all Im saying is dont buy a reel for the drag.