Ultralight baitcasting

Started by Dug, December 15, 2008, 09:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

islandbass

Dug,

Check this out. If you look closely, it is a Pixy rod! Talk about being a true UL casting rod.  ~sun

I don't know the price of the rod but I imagine it isn't cheap. :embarassed:
ARX - IB's Daughter on BC Reels:
"Papi! I like this reel. It is so much easier to use than the other one (the spinning reel) and it is more fun to use too." Now all I can say to that is this;
"That's my little girl!"

Dug

Considering the cost of the reels alone, even on ebay are around 200 bucks, I imagine that is not a cheap set up.  Heck I might as well get a Steez, they have a rod rated for 1/16 oz too.

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Dug

Looks like that rod goes for about 250.00 Used!!

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

WRBass

You need to consider both the lure weight and where you are bass fishing. Too light of action and you can't set hooks or control the bass. There are lots of light action rods rated down to 1/8 oz lures, you are better off casting 1/8 oz lures or less with a rod rated for 1/4 oz, when bass fishing, IMO.
WRB

beast96z

I was fixing to say.... Depending on the type of lure, you still want some back bone. Unless this will be exposed hook fishing only.

WRBass

The Loomis PR845C GL2 7' rod mentioned earlier for example is not a bass rod; it's a salt water popping rod originally designed as a flats bone fish rod to cast small shrimp and cork combination rig a long distance. A friend gave me this rod, he ordered it and didn't like it. I use this rod for casting small lightweight crankbaits and other light weight lures.This rod a great spoon rod because the tip section is very fast and light action, yet has the back bone to control bass.
WRB

Dug

That is interesting because I was considering a hurricane redbone baitcaster as an option.  I have 2 of their spinning rods and their the perfect action for what I want to try.

Dug

BIG PAPA

I use a St Croix Premier M/L 6.6 rod with a Curado 100 Greenie But have used a Citica 100 D with equal success, have no problem casting 1/8th oz. lures with 8 lb. Flouro. You could pick up the the rod and reel on e-bay if you are not in a hurry for 125 bucks.
I bought 2 Citica 100d's last week , one for 36.00 and one for 40.00 dollars.
I bid on about 15 reels at the same time , bid 40.00 a piece for them and got lucky and won 2 of them

OutdoorFrontiers

I don't mean to sound stupid or anything, but if you want to throw lightweight lures on light line, wouldn't it simply be easier to simply use a spinning rod?

Why go through all this hassle and expense?

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

-Shawn-

For me personally I do not like spinning reels. I have a lot more cotrol with a baitcaster on cast and lure presetation. Especially fishing the cover I fish. For me 10lb is ultralite. I don't even try to crappie fish with less than 10lb line.

Dug

Steve an excellent question. My answer is I have never felt the sensativity on a spinning rod that I have on a baitcaster so want to try it on light lures.

Dug

OutdoorFrontiers

Quote from: Dug on December 19, 2008, 10:28:05 PM
Steve an excellent question. My answer is I have never felt the sensativity on a spinning rod that I have on a baitcaster so want to try it on light lures.

Dug

LOL, and when I want to fish light lures, light line and go for sensitivity, I pick up a spinning rod.  Spinning tackle is all I pretty much use for walleye fishing.  I don't think there's a fish that is much more finicky or requiring more sensitivity than a cold water walleye!

Maybe it's just that you haven't found the right spinning rod/reel/line combination Dug?  When I'm finesse fishing and need to be able to detect the lightest bites, I pick up a rod I built on a St. Croix Legend Elite or my American Rodsmiths Dropshot rod.  Both of these rods have Shimano Stradic reels and are spooled with 8 or 10 lb. PowerPro.

With these combo's, when I'm fishing a jig and minnow for walleyes, I can actually feel the minnow struggle!  They're that sensitive!

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

Nickk

I have a 7' ML Crucial that I could part with if you're interested.

Dug

Quote from: Nickk on December 20, 2008, 11:23:28 AM
I have a 7' ML Crucial that I could part with if you're interested.
maybe, PM sent.

Dug

Dug

Quote from: OutdoorFrontiers on December 20, 2008, 10:18:24 AM
LOL, and when I want to fish light lures, light line and go for sensitivity, I pick up a spinning rod.  Spinning tackle is all I pretty much use for walleye fishing.  I don't think there's a fish that is much more finicky or requiring more sensitivity than a cold water walleye!

Maybe it's just that you haven't found the right spinning rod/reel/line combination Dug?  When I'm finesse fishing and need to be able to detect the lightest bites, I pick up a rod I built on a St. Croix Legend Elite or my American Rodsmiths Dropshot rod.  Both of these rods have Shimano Stradic reels and are spooled with 8 or 10 lb. PowerPro.

With these combo's, when I'm fishing a jig and minnow for walleyes, I can actually feel the minnow struggle!  They're that sensitive!

Steve

That could be the case, or the sensativity of the carrotstix just spoiled me. Reels I have that I am very happy with.  Maybe I need to get a carrotstix spinning rod.  Will take  look the others you mentioned.

Thanks

Dug

islandbass

Dug,

Have you ever tried holding the line in your hand as you fish with either reel type? I know folks who say this really helps.

When I was in Mexico, I fished without a rod, just with the line in my hands. I must say that even with mono, our hands are far more sensitive than the best rods out there. I was blown away. Even with "lowly" mono, I could feel the waves moving through the line.

Not that we'd ever have to fish like that here, but it was a lot of fun.

Steve, I am with you about using spinning gear for lighter things, but I think the desire to have a baitcast setup for lighter stuff is there because there is a high cool and intrigue factor involved in wanting/having one. 

We all know that most casting reels don't fare well in the range of light weights, but there are at least two that can and the question I ask myself, is why not?

Definitely, it is less of a practical thing (for me, anyway) and more of a neat thing to have.

I mean, who would't want a Pixy or a Chronarch Mg to toss 1/8 oz. cranks and rooster tails or 4# line? That sounds like fun, at least to me. Again, not practical in terms of true bassing fishing, but still a lot of fun.

ARX - IB's Daughter on BC Reels:
"Papi! I like this reel. It is so much easier to use than the other one (the spinning reel) and it is more fun to use too." Now all I can say to that is this;
"That's my little girl!"

Dug

Island,

Yeah I used to handline while I was in Australia and eventually toss a 2-4 ounce bottom rig just as far with the handline as I could with a rod n reel, but doesn't seem like I could get a 1/8 oz lure very far and cast and would be exhausting fast.

I do think you hit the nail the head as to why.

Dug

topcat

Dug you know as well as I you get what you pay for  if you want to do Ultra light baitcasting the Sol is the reel to purchase you want regret the purchase......the rod I use is the medium light Crucial baitcaster 7 ft....line weight 8-15 pound lure weight 1/8-3/8.... I love the set up for when I want to throw small lures.....

Topcat

beast96z

Don't forget the Pro-lite line has rods as well. ;)

Dug

So I got my new Carrot Stix Parabolic 6'9" rod last friday, and put it with my supertuned Bantam curado and attempted to cast first a 1/4 weight then a 3/16 weight.  I was able to cast each with no brakes applied, but oh my what a backlash!  I then stepped up the braking, 2 at a time until all 6 brakes were applied plus slight casting tension and was able to get about 15 yards out of the 3/16 oz weight.  not what I was looking for for ultralight casting at all.  So I think I will rethink this and go back to the spinning reel setup as Steve suggested for 3/16 and below weights.  I thought I would try and just don't think it's all I had hoped.

1 thing I did relearn that I forgot, the lighter the weight the more brakes to curtail backlash.  Seems to me it would be the reverse of that (Logically on the surface anyway) but nope, the more brakes on the lighter lures, the less backlash, and distance was okay.

Yeah beast96Z did you decide if you were going to sell those Pro-lite reels yet?  They had them on sale for 69 at basspro but my christmas was expensive enough that I just couldn't swing one.

Dug

Dug

-Shawn-

Dug, The problem may be in the rod.  :-\  When we were at the rally on fork last march. Mike let me play with his Fluke rod.  I think it was a M crucial with a super tuned citica 100 d.  I was getting 25 to 30 yds with an easy cast on a weightless fluke and no overun.

Dug

How much does a weightless fluke weight?  It may be more than a 3/16th weight.

Dug

-Shawn-

Dug

I will have to weigh a fluke and hook when I get home to see what it comes up as.

Dug

Adam H.

It's mainly all in the rod. Get one that will load up properly which we allow you to cast further.
Adam