Previous topic - Next topic

Dug

Ok did some measurements.
Zoom fluke. 2/10s oz
Zoom super fluke just over 1/4 oz
Manns jerk 4/10s oz
Strike king jerk 4/10 oz

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

J B

I think the best UL Baitcasting reels ever made are the ABU Garcia 2500C and 1500C.They are still used in casting tournaments in the UK and very popular in Japan.

Dug

Thanks JB I will look at them.

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

J B

Quote from: Dug on January 05, 2009, 09:14:26 PM
Thanks JB I will look at them.

Dug
Dug they are no longer made you can find them on ebay or at Don Iovino's website.He sells them all tricked out for finese casting.I buy mine on ebay

Dug

Yup ebay was the 1st place I looked. Watching s couple.

Dug

beast96z

Sorry Dug, money is tight here as well, so I had to hang on to them until I can afford to replace them. Also remember, that most of the time, your weight is going to have the plastic bait added to it as well. With that said, using the same rod you did, I was able to throw a 1/16 oz. weight attached to a 4" Zoom finesse worm with no problems with the Pro-lite.  ;)

Dug

Is that a weight worm and hook?

Dug

beast96z

1/16 oz. weight, then the 4" finesse worm, and a Gammy 1/0 light wire hook. Maybe 3/16 oz. total.

Dug

Okay that makes sense, On a windy day with my setup I was able to go 15 yards into the wind with just a 3/16 oz weight.    I imagine I could do better with a little time and no wind.  I have yet to try the pinnacle inertia on the set up, but I imagine that might cast a little better.  I am good I think with the equipment I have and decided not to try and buy anything more until I am sure this isn't going to work.

Dug

WRBass

If you are looking for a tricked out high quality 1500C, contact Don Iovino;
818/848.6180. 1500C are good reels when updated with anti reverse and polished custom bearings, etc. The small Ardent is a great casting reel, IMO.
WRB

gdratcl

I've got a Daiwa Sol and it is pretty wonderful, but a few years ago at a trade show I picked up a older Pro Max 1600 Abu for $20 (it was missing a little retainer clip which was easily replaceable), and it will out pitch my Sol for the really light stuff any day of the week.  You can find these reels on Ebay cheap some times, I think they were $150 new in the 90's.  They're pretty small and easy to palm (Not nearly as big as ambassadeurs).  They came out before all of this finesse stuff was prevalent so I think they get over looked.  Only real downside to these reels it that they are 5.3:1, but  I've seen people who have switched out the gears to make them faster.  This is the only reel I've found that can pitch 3" grubs weightless, and 1/8 oz. jigs no problem at a reasonable price.  I paired it with a 6'8" medium fast action Powell.  Another good rod for finesse baits is the Falcon Cara  cc-2-169L.  It's got a really slow curve for topwaters, but it works awesome for light baits and has decent backbone for hooksets.  I'm not sure if they still make it in the cara, but you may be able to get the same action in a lowrider.

Dug

I was playing around today with a couple of combinations and found that I had two that could handle 3/16s oz with decent results.  First was a pinnacle inertia on a cherrywood 7ft m casting rod. I actually was able to cast a 1/8 oz weight on it but will need to practice a little more in the yard before I am comforta ble fishing it.  The other was a Daiwa capricorn (only available at Dick's sporting goods) which I guess is comparable to a Daiwa procaster, on the carrot stix parabolic 6'9" rod I just got for christmas and it actually casted better than the other on the 3/16oz weight but I got too cold to try it on the 1/8oz.  This combo I would be comfortable taking on the lake.

Dug

Dug

Quote from: Dug on January 10, 2009, 02:44:12 PM
I was playing around today with a couple of combinations and found that I had two that could handle 3/16s oz with decent results.  First was a pinnacle inertia on a cherrywood 7ft m casting rod. I actually was able to cast a 1/8 oz weight on it but will need to practice a little more in the yard before I am comforta ble fishing it.  The other was a Daiwa capricorn (only available at Dick's sporting goods) which I guess is comparable to a Daiwa procaster, on the carrot stix parabolic 6'9" rod I just got for christmas and it actually casted better than the other on the 3/16oz weight but I got too cold to try it on the 1/8oz.  This combo I would be comfortable taking on the lake.

Dug
Forget all the above, I have my light baitcaster combo.  Ordered a Daiwa SOL, paired it up with the Carrot Stix 6'9" parabolic  and was able to cast with a 1/8 ounce  drop shot weight tied onto the line.  What a great combo this is (Cept it's a lot of orange)  Total weight is 10.7 oz and it balances very well all by itself.  I am going to have a hard time picking up any other combo, unless I stumble onto a good deal on a Diawa Pixy then I can lower the weight by another 1.7 ounces!!! 

Rod weight  3.3 ozs      Sol reel weight  7.4 ozs  (pixy 5.7 oz)

No matter, this setup is sweet!! Can't wait to actually fish it.

Dug

Dug

Finally found that Daiwa Pixy.  Not a cheap reel by any means, picked one up off ebay for 271.00.

I am confused a bit by the differences there are in these but all seem to have great reviews.

Dug