daiwa megaforce w/ twitchin bar comments

Started by brianjr45, March 22, 2010, 04:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianjr45

just got a daiwa megaforce as my first baitcaster. i like it so far but wondering if u guys have any suggestions on a better real. or have u had any experiences with this one.

Joshawa

My dad bought one of the MFs' last year and he likes it. Like he says "It gets the job done". Personally I have not used it so I am not sure how it will be for a beginner.
-Josh

**2009 UB Fantasy Baseball Champ**

FishRocker

I bought one of these reels last year.  I used it with a 7' rod and spooled it with 50# braid.  It worked great for about 10 days fishing....then it started clicking and the twitchin' bar was sticking.  By the end of the fishing year (after about 50 days of use) the anti-reverse stopped working.  This reel isn't worth the money at all.  I bought it when it was at BPS for 80 bucks...I use reels that cost half that and had them last YEARS before they are unusable.  I hope I didn't discourage ya...congrats on the new reel!
Team Outcast Bass Club

Bassinkorea

I have a Megaforce and for the price, I really like it. I have had it for over 2 years now and except for a couple of broken twitching bar springs, the reel works good.

It caught and landed my biggest bass to date of almost 6lbs through some light cover without any issues.

The drag on the MF is not the best, but you get what you pay for. I now use this reel primarily for fishing wacky rigged senkos, as the 7.1:1 ratio is perfect when using the twitching bar for retreiving at 7 inches per twitch.

Quote from: brianjr45 on March 22, 2010, 04:30:53 PM
just got a daiwa megaforce as my first baitcaster. i like it so far but wondering if u guys have any suggestions on a better real. or have u had any experiences with this one.

Since you mentioned that you have already bought the reel, I would say use it and enjoy it, it's a great reel for a first baitcaster.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Pro Reel

You already bought it. ~cf If you had asked before you bought it, I would have said that the reports on that reel lean heavily to the bad. Some people get a good one and it works just fine for them. Several have problems in the first few uses. If you need or just really want the twitching feature, I would get the Viento. It's built better. But still, the twitching mechanism is a nifty feature that most guys find they don't use like they thought they would. Therefore it's just extra parts that require extra service. If you are looking for a good solid reel in that general price range, try a BPS Extreme or BPS Pro qualifer. No twitching bar but a good reel with aluminum frame for an affordable price.

tim4081

I, too, bought one.....thought the twitchin bar was a neat idea but found I didn't like it and then after a couple of weeks it started clicking and then the  reel locked up.  I tore it apart and eliminated the twitchin bar completely and now its a decent working reel.
Attitude predicts altitude.  How high will you fly?

stratos bandit

I had 2 of the first models....I believe they have 5 bearings.  For $60 I thought it was a decent reel...never had any problems with them.  Use them almost exclusively for plastics/jigs.  I saw in BPS that the newer model, with 11+1 bearings was on sale for 59.99 (reg 99.99) so me and 2 buddies all got one.

Overall reviews were 4.8 out of 5....not shabby but there were several reviews about it locking up, the twitching bar not working, grinding gears, etc.

My first cast made the grinding gear noise. Once the bait hit the water, the reel would not engage.  Finally, after 5 min of figiting with it, it engaged.  Made a couple successful casts and then on the next cast the reel would not engage again.  Was not locked up this time, the handle would spin but would not turn the spool....the twitchin bar would turn the handle but not the spool.

All 3 reels were returned to BPS 4 days after receiving them.

bassadict69

I sure hate hearing this...I bought two of them at the Spring Classic at Bass Pro!  ~rant

fishyrascal

got one i love it use it for flipping guys alot of the problem with the twitchin bar sticking is due to the screw working loss that holds the spring in if you check this periodically when you oil your reel you will see them last alot longer this is my third year with the same reel the only prob i have had is i had to replace a worm gear part and i fish about every day

netmansc

My wife bought me one 2 years ago for Christmas and I havent had any problems as of yet.  It sees regular use almost every trip for my light plastics.  Dont think I have used the twitchin bar yet except just out of boredom on the slow days.  For me I would not have bought but I do appreciate that my wife thought enough not to buy something completely useless.

stratos bandit

Quote from: netmansc on March 26, 2010, 02:17:23 AM
My wife bought me one 2 years ago for Christmas and I havent had any problems as of yet.  It sees regular use almost every trip for my light plastics.  Dont think I have used the twitchin bar yet except just out of boredom on the slow days.  For me I would not have bought but I do appreciate that my wife thought enough not to buy something completely useless.

I think it's the newer, 11 ball bearing reel that has had more problems.  I have 2 of the "older" model and have had no problems with them. (knock on wood!!)

Wiscobassin

I have one and I took the T Bar off because it was sticking and clicking... Now it is a ok reel... I use it on and then for top water and jerk baits... Not my favorite tho... If I were you and the bar starts messin up... Take it off... its not hard at all to do it! but make sure you lube it all up after your done with takin it apart!
Big Bass Bait Pro-Staff, Fishing Hot Spots Maps Staff, Rippn-Lips Tackle Pro-Staff, Bassfury Apparel Pro-Staff, Ardent Team, TurboSet Pro-Staff, The Rod Glove Ambassador