Best quality fishing rod?

Started by Herdbull, December 29, 2008, 03:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trent

If you are on a budget like me it is hard to find a  happy medium.All-Star big boy rods make great carolina rig,and jig  rods and sell for 99.00.They are a little heavy at first but you get used to them after a few fish.Also American rodsmith's tournament are very good rods for 79.00.Have not tried the new crucial rods,But will try one soon.

Bassinkorea

I know it's not the cheapest high end rod out there, but like Dug mentioned I think the Carrot Stix has to be one of the best rods for it's price. I own a 7'0" ExH fliipin' stick and the 6'9" Parabolic and both these rods feel like they should be in the $200+ bracket (Don't tell E21 or they'll be putting their prices up  ~shhh ~shhh )
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

flippin4it

For me I would have to say Kistler rods are the one. I own 1 LTX, 4 LTA's and 5 Graphite Plus rods.
Nothing beats a solid hookset!

snapper G

I have not used Carrot stix's yet, but I here they're really good, for the cash. Still quite a bit moola if you ask me!

stevebass

CARROT STYX I have used just about everything made and for the money it is the best rod made  "NUFF SAID" ;D

shawnrd81

I am pretty much with everyone else on here aboutthe carrots. I have not used every rod out there though. I am in the process of switching all my BPS extreme rods (too heavy and do not care for the guides) out and some fenwicks (great crankin rods) out for all Carot Stix. I have held a couple different models of the Mojo bass rods and TO ME they do not seem to be balanced right. G- lomis rods are way to expensive. Kistler are very nice rods too. I have not tried the shimano rods yet but here they are good, but I am very pleased with my Carrots and that is what I will go with. But to each is own you just have to try it out and if it does not feel right to you pm me I might beable to take it off of your hands for you ;D.

djbird420

Falcon.

Great performance and reasonably priced. I've used St. Croix and G. Loomis which were great but not $100 - $200 dollars greater.

They have a good warranty also I have broken a couple over the years and returned them to Academy no questions asked.
Work hard. There are millions on welfare depending on us.

scottemory72

Falcon Lowriders; they're great!  They're sensitive, they're light,  they are high quality, and they won't break the bank!

Olebiker

Falcon Lowriders are the best bang for the buck.  You can buy a lighter rod, but not a better one. 

I know a lot of folks love Carrot Stix, but those split handles are just too small for my taste.

Folks have also mentioned high dollar rods like G. Loomis and Kistler.  Have you ever noticed how many fishermen use them for a little while and then sell them? 

warsawbassman

I am a big fan of St. Croix, and Fenwick. St. Croix Avid's for the price can't be beat. And the Fenwick HMX IMHO is the best sub $100 rod that I have owned.

trent

I agree with OleBiker and Scottemory72 falcon lowrider's are also excellent rods for the money. ~c~ 

Choke Canyon Boy

Quantum tour edition rods are imo as good as any of the stated rods. They run about 199 have premium components are stiff yet sensitive and have some serious backbone. I put my tour rods against crucial, carrotstix etc.

JEVSkeeter

Quote from: Dug on January 05, 2009, 08:58:55 AM
Thanks JEV, that's great to know.  I have looked at the website several times to see if they sell anymore spiral wrapped rods, but just can't tell.

Dug

Dug,

We are in Richmond VA right now at the show and Jim Grandt said he will still build the spiral wrap guides if you want them. It is not a catalogue offer however, everything Jim does from blanks to custom rods are built here in the USA.

J.E.

James 4:8,
Skeeter Boats Demo Team,
Yamaha, Minn Kota,
Humminbird, Navionics, Luck"E"Strike, Stay-N-Charge, BassWishes Tackle

Dug

Thanks,  next time I am looking to buy a new rod I will definately shoot them an email inquiry.  Remember though I got a heck of a deal on the one I have now! So it's hard to pay retail.

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Richard Cooper

in the search for the best quality rod i feel that you need to look no further than kistler rods.  I have been using kistler exclusively for over 5 years now, and i will never use another rod.  They have a rod for every technique as well as budget.  They also have some really exciting new things for the 2009 season.  check them out at www.kistlerrods.com
Richard Cooper

Kistler Rods, Albackore Tackle Storage, Kidlizard Bait Company, Tripple Fish Lines

JEVSkeeter

The best rod in the world is the one you caught the last fish on. Rods and opinions are like cars and opinions.........

Educate yourself. Find out what the rod you're throwing is, and how it's built. Is the rod your buying from a manufacturer or a builder. Are the blanks imported which can have large variations from blank to blank of the same action. A 7' MH may not throw, feel, or fish anything like the last 7' MH that you purchased. Is the blank glass, graphite, carbon fiber, tungsten, or an organic composite. Remember warranties protect the persons who manufactured or built the rod you purchase, not you, so read the actual warranty.

Decide which one fits your methods and techniques, decide the price range you're willing to dive into, then buy the best you can afford.

Good Luck!

Skeeter Boats Demo Team,
Yamaha, Minn Kota,

harpoon

Ok Noob here, to this forum and to fishing. I started fishing again a few years ago when my kids were old enough to bring them and teach them what little I know.
I just bought a fishing boat and wanted to get more serious this year and after reading this thread my head just about exploded off of my shoulders.  ~b~ soo many different makes and models and wow these are expensive.

My experience has been to go to Walmart and just grab a set that looked adequate, I never knew about all the different aspects of a rod, like the tip sensitivity, grade of the rod ( medium/heavy), the different lengths. etc.

There are rods specific to what reel you are using?  spinner or caster??  and what the heck is the difference between them?

Some have said to go and try out some rods to see what feels good. Again, the only place I know of around me would be Walmart. What types of places are you referring too?  I live in Massachusetts just below the NH border.

So I guess any decent name brand rod would be much better then what I have been using, I basically do small to medium lake fishing with fake worms and some small lures. but have been reading alot about crank bait.

Can you point me in a direction for a medium level rod that is sub $100.00

Also is the money better spent in the rod or the reel?  I am seeing that those can be very expensive as well.

And if you want to open this up to the differences if these that would be great as well, I guess I would like to know why I would by one type over the other.

thanks alot guys and keep in mind I am very new here hence all of the questions.

I appreciate your input.

Harpoon

Holden

I don't fish rods that aren't made in the United States anymore.

People can bicker and bicker all day about how sensitive and how light their favorite rods are, but in the end all its all about the person. One fisherman might pick up a Loomis and think its amazing. Another fisherman may pick the same rod up and not like it very much compared to his Shimano.

Its all personal preference. And quite honestly, I can't tell the difference between 3/4 of the higher quality rods these days. I've fished most of the brands. Shimano, Quantum, All Star, Fenwick, Loomis, Kistler, Etc. and there plenty of things I don't like about each brand.

I would just say that I am very pleased with my St. Croixs. And my e21's as well. ~flag
Holden Roberts - 2007 BassTracker ProTeam 175 - MD State Team - 08 Potomac Rally Champion - BCS Customs Jr. Pro Staff
http://www.citrusstick.com
http://www.bigsowbaits.com

coldfront

another great question Herdbull.  Sure to keep us occupied for a few days waiting for the ice to melt  ;D

My idea of a 'best' rod would have the following features
1.  Graphite blank:  IM-7 or better
2.  exposed blank under the reel seat so my second/third fingers can be in direct contact with the blank
3.  no foregrip; screw down seat lock.
4.  butt weighting system
5.  dark matte color finish on rod blank
6.  black/dark non-reflective rod guides
7.  lifetime warranty, over-the counter policy

I've actually put these in order of preference for me...

Most rods out there meet over half these criteria...several go 5-6...a few will hit the 'full monty'

My personal choices are Cabelas XML series and/or Shimano Crucials...available for less than $130 typically...

But I keep looking at St. Croixs...and a few others...just can't seem to shake the baitmonkey...

Every rod 'championed' is a good, probably great, rod...but I know what I buy when it's my money.  Most important, I know 'why' I buy what I buy.   :-*

techo

Hey JE!  Capt Don is bringing me a rod from Chicago in March I think.  What reel are you pairing them with.  I am leaning toward the Pfleuger President.

JEVSkeeter

Techo,

Good to hear from you! Capt. Don and I just got back from Richmond VA. and Chicago last week. We were stuck in Chicago an extra two days though. We were on approach to Springfield Monday night when they turned us around and sent us back to Chicago. Capt. Don just had his power turned back on after the ice storm today. Both of us are using the Ardent reels more and more. I have five some where in UPS's system right now including the new F500. I like the Pfluger President and the Patriarch also.

Let me know what shifts you're working, I'll buy you a donut!   :fishy

Check out the new Bassmaster Mag on page 8. That's me on the front of the Skeeter with Billy holding the fish I caught just before the picture was taken.

Skeeter Boats Demo Team,
Yamaha, Minn Kota,

stevebass

techo

Day shift all week.  Can meet for coffee anytime.  Want to pick your brain on available ZX's anyway.  I will have to drop Capt Don a line.  I thought he said the rod wouldn't be here until March.  Might be fun to have it this coming weekend.

RyanD

i will have to agree with holden on ths one american made rods are the way to go. i fish falcon, they have great warrenties and are made here in the USA, and nothing makes me happier than to spend that money on a american made rod.

mauro

Quote from: callmeKVD on December 30, 2008, 08:24:44 AM
check out the new st. croix mojo rods... for $100 and the warranty that st. croix has, they're a great buy! all the features of really expensive rods without the price.

I've fished the Mojo MHF and the Crucial MHF, there's no comparison, the Crucial is much more sensitive and lighter in the hand.

I will say the Mojo is a great value and I'll probably pick up a Mojo crankbait rod only because it's $59 less than the Crucial.

M.