Need a high end crankin rod.

Started by Bassburner15, January 14, 2009, 07:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassburner15

I'm looking for a high end crankin rod. I will use it for #5 crank baits and some top water.Or will that not work for both? Any suggestion would be great.I don't want to spend any more than $250 for the rod.

ss454

Loomis makes the best cranking rod I've ever used for what you're looking for.  Either the 7' M or MH should work perfectly for what you want and the price is right at your limit.
If you build a ramp...I will come...

Bassburner15

Hmmmm I was thinking about a G loomis but I have never used one or know much about them.I was thinking maybe Crucial.Maybe not.I don't know.

Bassinkorea

I have a 7'0" Crucial for my cranks and deep cranks like DD22's and it is a great rod for this technique and at a great price  :-*
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

ss454

The Crucials are great rods and I have a Falcon Expert 7' M cranker that I love but the loomis is on another level IMO.  They're very parabolic but with solid backbone.  My Expert is very similar to the Crucial but feels a little better to me.  For topwaters you'll want more flex than the crucials give so you can walk the dog better.
If you build a ramp...I will come...

cwenbass

I hear the crucials are nice, but I have 2 loomis cranking rods that are great. The CBR 845 is very diverse. i can use that for lures that go from 4-16 feet. A little tough to the throw the 4 ft. deep and a little hard to throw the 16 ft.ers, but llures that go everywhere in between are no problem.

topcat

I use Falcon Cara's for all my crank bait needs they cost around 160 bucks but they are worth every penny and they are the bestcrank bait rods I have ever used....I own the Crucials and the G-loomis and neither IMO is as good as the Falcon Cara crank bait rods......

Topcat

Bassburner15

Crucial and G loomis were the two rods I was thinking of before I posted this.It's funny how you guys say the same thing.

I guess I'll just have to go to BPS and feel each one out.

texlwedge

Before you buy, you should check out the Kistler LTA series. Lightest, most sensitive rod I've ever used, and I've used a lot over the years. www.kistlerrods.com Either the LTA's or the LTX series would fit the dollar amount you are wanting to spend. Check out the Alton Jones lineup as well. I also have two of the Magnesium series. These have the split grip which I tend to like better. If you prefer the split grip, you can get the LTA in a split. Talk to Ryan Smith at Kistler if you decide to call them or put an email to his attention. Tell him Allen sent you.
A bad day on the lake beats any day at my office!
Member B.A.S.S.   ABA Chapter 119
Pro Staff Deep South Rods
Pro Staff Minda Lures
Pro Staff Azuma Fishing KaRu Lures

hesjustbassin

If you are looking for the best, then forget about any factory rod and have one built on a seeker blank by George Roth. There is no comparison between this and anything else period.
'Insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting the different results' Albert Einstein.

scottemory72

I agree with Topcat; Falcon rods are the best rods I have ever used and they won't break the bank.  I use Lowriders, but I'm switching to Caras this year.  If you call Falcon directly and ask for a catalog they will send it to you immediately.  They are extremely nice to deal with and they believe in customer service.  That's not even mentioning how great their rods are.  I love to fish crankbaits and theirs is the best.  I can't wait to get my hands on their new Cara crankin' rod!

coldfront

Quote from: ss454 on January 14, 2009, 08:42:30 PM
The Crucials are great rods and I have a Falcon Expert 7' M cranker that I love but the loomis is on another level IMO.  They're very parabolic but with solid backbone.  My Expert is very similar to the Crucial but feels a little better to me.  For topwaters you'll want more flex than the crucials give so you can walk the dog better.

on another subject (rod length)...for those topwaters...where I like to make the 'downward' snap to either walk or spit, that 6 to 6.5 foot rod doesn't bang into my boat gunwales nearly as much as the 7 footers...

But those 7 footers are surely 'wanted' for the leverage on the cast and increased distance...

Just another thought to toss into the mix

beast96z

I'll play the advocate and ask why you want a "high end" cranking rod???? To me, anything more than a Crucial would be a waste, but I'm not a big cranker. What is a high end crank rod going show me that a BPS crankin' stick can't do? :-\

pawpaw

What Beast said. Except for ease of casting and maybe light weight and a fairly soft tip , what do you need in a cranking rod?
I don't mind not knowing all the answers, but I keep forgeting the danged questions.

Bassburner15

Quote from: beast96z on January 15, 2009, 04:44:22 PM
I'll play the advocate and ask why you want a "high end" cranking rod???? To me, anything more than a Crucial would be a waste, but I'm not a big cranker. What is a high end crank rod going show me that a BPS crankin' stick can't do? :-\

Thanks everyone for all the info.I think I'm going to go with the Crucial 7' M.The only thing that I wish it had was a split grip.

beast96z

Quote from: Quartersticknick on January 15, 2009, 07:12:54 PM
Thanks everyone for all the info.I think I'm going to go with the Crucial 7' M.The only thing that I wish it had was a split grip.
You could get the Carrot Stick if a split grip was a must. I prefer Shimano though.

Bassburner15

Well I picked up a Crucial with a CuradoE. i played with it in the back yard.I was very impressed with it.I can feel it hit every little bump.I can also feel it slide through the grass.I'm happy I went with the Crucial.

Now I just need to get another MH jig/spinner bait rod.I was looking at the Gloomis GLX.Any thoughts on that?

Bass Trombone

A question for all you Cara Crankers out there:  Which Caras do you recommend, and if you don't mind, why?  I am upgrading my rods to Caras and would appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks,
Bill

Bassburner15

Quote from: beast96z on January 15, 2009, 04:44:22 PM

BPS Crankin stick is $80 now.They weigh a ton. BPS stix in a M is just has heavy as a Crucial H.not much sensitivity in that stick at all.IMO They used to be like $39. Since they were selling a ton of them cause the price,they jacked up the price. To me that rod is not an $80 rod.

Baron49

Another suggestion might be to contact George Roth, one of the staff here on UB.  If you can afford a high end rod having a custom rob builder to help you with exactly the rod you are looking for might save you a lot of time and trouble.

supermat

Quartersticknick,
  Glad you found a cranking rod you like! As for the jig rod... I am a VERY picky guy when it comes to jig rods. What kind of jigs/cover are you wanting to fish? I've got to tell you that I handled the new line up of Dobyns Rods over the weekend (generation 2) and they are INCREDIBLE! They blow the first generation completely out of the water! For an all around jig rod they just put out the 784 Mike Long. That is a 7'8" 4 power rod that is so light you'd think it was 6 feet long and so sensitive you're going to set the hook on the first 10 grains of sand you drag across! They'll be in stores very shortly, do yourself a favor and hold one before you make a decision.
www.bassinguide.com
www.tacticalbassin.com

Bassburner15

Hmmm interesting! How much do they cost?

supermat

Not sure on the exact model prices but I know the Champion Extremes (the high end line) range from $299-$329 and the Champions range from $199-$239.
www.bassinguide.com
www.tacticalbassin.com

Bassburner15

Quote from: supermat on January 18, 2009, 11:04:58 PM
Not sure on the exact model prices but I know the Champion Extremes (the high end line) range from $299-$329 and the Champions range from $199-$239.

How are they compared to a Gloomis GLX or a Cumara?

supermat

I'm no expert but during my time at the show I heard A LOT of people compare them to the GLX in feel and I heard the term "enthusiast" in reference to the styling.  8)
www.bassinguide.com
www.tacticalbassin.com