What's more important to you?

Started by CraigP83, February 26, 2009, 11:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigP83

Reel or Rod?

For me it has to be the rod. While I do see the benefits of having a high quality reel I think a high quality rod is more important. I do more finesse fishing than power fishing so a lightweight, highly sensative rod is worth its weight in gold to me... Just looking for others point of view.

zamguy

While I have my favorite Falcon Rods, I have to say that a GOOD REEL, is more important to me.  When you have a reel go bad it is way bad.  Have you ever had a reel stop casting more than 40 feet, or have a fish hit only to have the reel stop reeling?  Its not a good thing.  I always have a spare reel or two in my bags when I fish the back of a boat as well as spools of line if that becomes an issue as well.  For the few minutes it takes to change out a reel (and or line) its worth it not to have to fight with a faulty reel.
2016 LCB, 250 Merc Pro XS, Lowrance Electronics
GLoomis Rods  Shimano Reels  Power Pro line

Dug

Yeah I think I have to go with reel as well. 

dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

smokey5186

IMO THE Rod, here in texas I can peel 15ft of braid and tie to the rod and flip, but my rod (kistler LTA) will detect that bite and pull it in.
Where theres Smoke theres Fire

Pferox

I have to say the reel.

I have broken rods and brought the fish in.

I can't say that when I broke the reel.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Dug

Quote from: Pferox on February 26, 2009, 01:49:57 PM
I have to say the reel.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

CraigP83

EDIT:

Would you rather spend more money on a high quality Rod or Reel?

imashooter

I usually save up enough money to get both the rod and reel I want, but if I had to choose, I would have to go with a good reel over a rod. You can land fish with a busted rod, but it is near impossible with a busted reel.

Dug

Reel again.  I have spent no more than 129.00 bucks on a rod, but have spent almost twice as much for a reel.

Dug

Pferox

Reel, if you get a good one and maintain it, it will out last just about any rod you put it on.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

fishen4bass

I'll take the high end reel,although I try to do both.
Work is for people who don't know how to fish!

SWMIBASSER

A good rod puts more fish in the boat than a good reel.....IMO.

Joshawa

Quote from: SWMIBASSER on February 26, 2009, 07:38:20 PM
A good rod puts more fish in the boat than a good reel.....IMO.

I tend to agree. While it it a tragedy to see a sub-par reel on a nice rod, it's better than seeing a nice reel on a 20-dollar 2 piece wal-mart job.

I think I speak for most people here when I say I wouldn't go out on the the water without both, they go hand in hand.
-Josh

**2009 UB Fantasy Baseball Champ**

SWMIBASSER

To clarify earlier I don't think a walmart reel or anything is a good idea....But any of the BPS reels, Daiwa Megaforce etc, are decent reels for a good price.....

Rods you generally get what you pay for.....

My Loomis has an Pflueger Supreme on it, Johnny Morris Elite has a BPS Extreme, Falcon has a BPS ProLite, Pflueger  Tim Horton Crankin' rod has a BPS David Fritts crankin' reel And Rogue has an ABU Cardinal 602.....That's a graphic display of which I think is more important.....

And I'm happy with all those reels. Cept' the Supreme I got all of them on sale.

Bassinkorea

I have had cheap rods and now use decent $150+ rods and have to say that the more expensive rods are better at feeling the more subtle bites. In bass fishing I find that 9 times out of 10 the bass slam the baits I use and these bites are felt through both cheap and higher end rods, so I am going to go with REELS in this one.

As Pferox already mentioned, if the reel brakes the fish is lost......JMO  ;D
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

islandbass

Quote from: Pferox on February 26, 2009, 01:49:57 PM
I have to say the reel.

You should give it a try, ie, fishing without a rod and reel. When I went to Mexico, I learned many saltwater guys (locals) fish this way. It was a blast. No rod, no reel. Just line and your hands. Their rig is similar to a drop shot and you lasso it out. It casts farther than many reels, and when you hold the line in your hands, you will be amazed at how sensitive our hands are. Better than GLX. Your hands are the drag, the rod, and the reel.

To the subject. I'd say I'd rather have the rod. Be interesting to see this as a poll for stats.
ARX - IB's Daughter on BC Reels:
"Papi! I like this reel. It is so much easier to use than the other one (the spinning reel) and it is more fun to use too." Now all I can say to that is this;
"That's my little girl!"

Dug

Quote from: islandbass on February 27, 2009, 03:32:43 AM
You should give it a try, ie, fishing without a rod and reel. When I went to Mexico, I learned many saltwater guys (locals) fish this way. It was a blast. No rod, no reel. Just line and your hands. Their rig is similar to a drop shot and you lasso it out. It casts farther than many reels, and when you hold the line in your hands, you will be amazed at how sensitive our hands are. Better than GLX. Your hands are the drag, the rod, and the reel.

To the subject. I'd say I'd rather have the rod. Be interesting to see this as a poll for stats.

Have a couple handlines around here.  I spent a year and half in Australia and would handline quite a bit.  it's a lot of fun, but still would rather have the gearing of a good reel on the handle of a sensitive rod.

Dug

Pferox

I have fished with cane pole, tree limb, sting and a safety pin for a hook.

I have also fished with a coke bottle, my idea of hand lining.

I still go with the reel, a fantastic rod is just icing on the cake.

What I don't understand is why cheap rods last longer than the expensive ones?

Dug

Quote from: Pferox on February 27, 2009, 06:25:47 AM
What I don't understand is why cheap rods last longer than the expensive ones?

Generally the more expensive the rod, the more sensitive it is because of the higher level modulus which means it's more brittle (unfortunately). 

Dug

iClass

I would rather the rod.  Detection of bite is critical, especially when you start to deal with the mush mouth bass...Not to detract from the value of a quality reel but when times are tough and you have to put fish in the boat, having a $300. reel strapped to a baseball bat just isn't gonna do it.

goodrat79

Good rod, Good reel. ~b~ macintosh or granny smitth
dont get me wrong. A reliable reel is good. And a strong rod is good also.
But its the line that makes all the difference.  I know a guy that fishes for musky with an old mitchell taped to a pool cue and he does better than most guys I see with diawas or shimanos.  Its the line.  get a dependable reel and maintain it.  Get a strong rod.  and youll get all the sensitivity you need with a good line.

SWMIBASSER

That may be true. But you can be sure that he would catch more fish, and lose less fish that are hooked with the appropriate rod/reel setup....