Shimano Citica... worthy baitcaster or no?

Started by HammytheFisherman, March 24, 2009, 10:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HammytheFisherman

So I have decided that I am in the market to purchase 2 new baitcasters before the bass season gets into full swing here in Maryland. I currently have 3 Quantums and a Revo and am looking for 2 others so that I can retire the 2 BP baitcasters that I got off ebay last year. A lot of my buddies swear by Shimano reels, but I don't have the money to put forth towards a new Curado and even the used Curado's seem to carry their value.

Now the other day while at BP I looked at and held the Citica and it seemed to be a decent reel, but I just wasn't too sure about it. Compared to my Revo and Quantums it just didn't seem as well built (and again this could be my lack of experience with them). Are the Citica's a decent baitcaster for the price? I would like to give them a shot, but wanted to get some opinions. If anyone might have some spare baitcasters they are looking to get rid of... let me know. Oh... I'm looking for LH models too as I have been phasing out my RH's.  ~shade
-Team Outcast

Lee Smith

I fish Curado's, my partner uses the Citica's, He loves his!  Gives me  >:D over paying the extra!
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

crankenstein

For the money, I don't think you can find a better reel than the Citica. I was a little leary of it only having four bearings but it's as smooth if not smoother than most reels with twice the bearings. Casts great, low weight, palms well.

Jarhead7138

I have a citica, won it a couple years ago as a door prize at a tournament, and by far one of the best reels I own, very smooth, once you get it dialed in very user friendly, very few backlashes even when casting into a good wind, in fact liked it so much went out and bought another one for this year for a new rod I got for xmas, very reliable and for the money I say its worth it
I only work to support my fishing and hunting habits
Help Support our UB site, become a Charter Member

OutdoorFrontiers

I had a Citica, it was a nice enough reel.  I ended up giving it to my son in law though.

A good value reel for bass fishing is the Shimano Cardiff 100.  I like to palm my reels, because I don't have large hands most of my reels are low profile designs like the Curado and Chronarch.  I was sent a Cardiff 100 as a gift, and even though it's a round reel, it's very comfortable to palm.

It's smooth, quiet and has a good drag.  I've been beating up on this reel for five years now and it's still as smooth as the first time I used it.  For $99, it's a great reel.  Take a look at those too.

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

BIG PAPA

I have many citica and many curados, can't really see much difference.

Mike Cork

The citica is definitely worth the money. The new E models are a home run in my opinion.  ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

TightLinez

The couple casts I made with mine felt great, then I set the hook on a fish and the drag got stripped out- on Sugar Lake Mexico! ::)
I've asked around and no one else has had that problem.

AJ

i bought a used one then turned right round and bought a new one within week or 2

i likem better then my quantum pts

HammytheFisherman

Thanks for the insight guys. After reading all the positive reviews I went ahead and got me a 200E online for $101 shipped. Hopefully it arrives quickly so that I can spool it up and do some reviews of my own! ~c~

Thanks for the Cardiff idea Steve... I'll have to look into those as well.
-Team Outcast

Joshawa

My dad has used the same one for about 8 years. He loves it and I'm sure he would recommend them to anyone.
-Josh

**2009 UB Fantasy Baseball Champ**

topcat

Quote from: TightLinez on March 25, 2009, 12:03:42 PM
The couple casts I made with mine felt great, then I set the hook on a fish and the drag got stripped out- on Sugar Lake Mexico! ::)
I've asked around and no one else has had that problem.

I had the same experience with my Citica 200E they cast fine but when I set the hook the drag stripped.......two days latter the other Citica 200E stripped....I sent them back to Shimano and they sent me some new ones......Since I received the new ones I have had no problems......Shimano Service Dept is top of the line.....

Topcat

HammytheFisherman

Only got to use it a couple times yesterday in the 15+ mph winds, but the Citica seemed to cast like a champ. I currently have it set up as one of my cranking reels, but that might change to pitching with how smooth it felt. I see another one in my near future pending my review in good weather. lo
-Team Outcast

Mike Cork

Good deal, keep us posted of how the reel performs for you :toot:

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

HammytheFisherman

Thanks Cork... now I might be buying one or two more of these reels! lo I haven't messed with the brakes or anything and I can cast a floating trap for miles with minimal effort. If the reel casts that well I CAN"T EVEN imagine how well I could pitch with it. ~shade

Looks like I'll be ordering another one this weekend for pitching and flipping. I also like the overall size and weight of the reel.

Unless I can get my Revo S to work a little better... I might be selling that one on the board or ebay so that I can get my third Citica. I thought the Revo S would be a decent reel but I haven't been all that impressed.
-Team Outcast

-Steve-

My stepson fishes a Citica and I was just on the phone with him a couple min. before I read this post and he was saying he's wants another one. I don't have any experience with them but I've been called bias towards Pflueger...I dunno...Steve
\My Mind is a Library Full of Worthless Information\

Chris

Quote from: Mike on March 25, 2009, 10:39:37 AM
The citica is definitely worth the money. The new E models are a home run in my opinion.  ~c~

Mike

I agree! I bought four of them back at the first of the year and the fish as good as my Chronarch 50Mgs ...honestly they seem more solid. I really sont have a need for  another reel. I am wanting to buy about 5 more.

islandbass

Quote from: HammytheFisherman on April 10, 2009, 04:27:30 PM
Thanks Cork... now I might be buying one or two more of these reels! lo I haven't messed with the brakes or anything and I can cast a floating trap for miles with minimal effort. If the reel casts that well I CAN"T EVEN imagine how well I could pitch with it. ~shade

Looks like I'll be ordering another one this weekend for pitching and flipping. I also like the overall size and weight of the reel.

Unless I can get my Revo S to work a little better... I might be selling that one on the board or ebay so that I can get my third Citica. I thought the Revo S would be a decent reel but I haven't been all that impressed.

I would recommend that you open the sideplate and see how many brakes are off and on. The next one you buy might have them all off or all on or some other combination and it won't "act" the same as your first one until you do and it might make you think that something is wrong. The first curado I bought had all of the brakes off. Let's just say it was the most glorious bird's nest I have even seen. Was a newbie to casting reels back then and so that definitely contributed to it.  ~roflmao  :embarassed:
ARX - IB's Daughter on BC Reels:
"Papi! I like this reel. It is so much easier to use than the other one (the spinning reel) and it is more fun to use too." Now all I can say to that is this;
"That's my little girl!"

upnorth

HammytheFisherman

Quote from: islandbass on April 12, 2009, 01:37:44 AM
I would recommend that you open the sideplate and see how many brakes are off and on. The next one you buy might have them all off or all on or some other combination and it won't "act" the same as your first one until you do and it might make you think that something is wrong. The first curado I bought had all of the brakes off. Let's just say it was the most glorious bird's nest I have even seen. Was a newbie to casting reels back then and so that definitely contributed to it.  ~roflmao  :embarassed:

I opened her up today and she looks to have 3 out of 6 brakes on. I just changed lures on the reel so I will wait to do some practice casts before I start turning them off. The Citica seems to cast 1/4-1/2 oz crankbaits with finesse and distance. ;D Now like I said... my revo is another story... but I just turned all the brakes of on it. ~shade
-Team Outcast

[Please enable JavaScript to see this content]

I bought a Citica E series about a month ago and I love it, it's smooth and casts great. I always leaned towards the magnetic braking over the variable but now that I have tried it, it seems to work just as well. I also ran into some pritty good deals on the older D series Shimanos and pick up a Curado for $75 and a Citica for $50 and I like them alot too but they seem to be a little heavier. They had a ton of them if anyone is interested it is at a Gander in Ohio and the number is 440-934-8222. My dad also ordered a few and he said that the shipping is pritty cheap.

mlakrid

Quote from: islandbass on April 12, 2009, 01:37:44 AM

What he said... I didnt like my Revo-S until someone told me how to turn the brakes off...  ~xyz   ~rant   ~b~

Mike A!
A Bad day on the water is still better than the best day at work!!@!!