lipless crankbaits

Started by Yum, April 16, 2009, 03:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yum

What type line do you throw the lipless crank on MONO,BRAID,OR FLUORO?

Buzbait88

I preferably throw it on braid.  I can feel the lure more and no exactly whats going on with it. I also feel like I lose less fish, because I can really lay into a fish and drive the hooks deep.  When I use mono the rod just kind of loads up with a fish, but in my experience with the stretch I don't really get a good hook set and they fall out.  This is just my opinion and I'm pretty sure its different than what most people will say.
THE VIBRASHOCK IS BACK!!
KaRu Lures
KaRu Facebook

stock28

I generally throw anything with treble hooks on mono line. A little stretch keeps the hooks from pulling out in my opinion.
A bad day fishing is still better than a good day working!

B.A.S.S. lifetime member

Bassinkorea

I once tried lipless cranks on braided line and had too much trouble with it. I would either pull the bait away from the fish on the hookset or the fish would get off the trebles before I could land it.

Now I fish all my crankbaits, including lipless cranks on fluorocarbon line only, 10lb or 12lb.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

v1per

The good thing I like about using braid with my lipless cranks is that if they do get caught up on something I can usually straighten out the hook and get them back or if it's caught up on someone else's old fishing line it usually pulls it out with the lure. Now if it is caught up in some rocks you have to be careful as the line may be rubbing on the rock and it(the rock) will cut through the braid.
Be the Ultimate Bass Fisherman and support Ultimate Bass!!!

Baron49

This is a good question.  Just got back from Florida and used a lot of lipless crank baits this year.  My preference is to throw them on mono like Trilene XT, but this year for the 1/2 oz and smaller ones I tried some 12 lb Pline Cxx and was very pleased with it on my 7' crankbait rod.  However, once I got into the hydrilla I needed to go to a little heavier rod and Berkley 30 lb Fireline to rip the lipless crankbaits out of the grass.  For the big 3/4 oz baits I used  17 lb XT on a swimbait rod and did well with all three combinations.

When possible I do prefer to use mono and a forgiving action rod with lipless crankbaits.  For ripping in the weeds with braid I loosen the drag and use my thumb on the spool to keep from ripping the hooks out of a fish's mouth.

Joshawa

I like to thrown them on braid. You lose a lot less when you can just rip them out of the weeds or whatever structure you get hung up in.
-Josh

**2009 UB Fantasy Baseball Champ**