SPAM

Started by -Bryan-, September 02, 2005, 08:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Bryan-

What's up with the SPAM?  I understand support and paying bills, but the fastest way to turn me off to a great site like this is to start sending me SPAM.  Anyone else have an opinion?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Skipper (ripnlips)

I haven`t gotten any

Basseye

I have not received anything either :-\

Just curious Brian.....How do you know it's originating from this site?

I do receive the occasional PM from the site as reminders of contests or special offers. Is this what you are considering SPAM?

Let me know, and if anyone else is having problems let me know; and I will talk to Laurie about it.
Lippum and Leavum
The BASS you save may be mine!!

Dug

The closest thing I  have seen to spam is the great offer on those spinning lures that Laurie sent out, but that's not spam, it's an offer from the sponsors to this site.

Doug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Fishaholic

if it were spam, wouldn't it have come in the way of a regular email, vs. the PM format that you got it in...besides, it's an offer from one of our sponsors who advertises here...it was a heads up on a great offer.

Would you have been upset if you as a member didn't get any notice of this great offer? Just curious.

My viewpoint on spam is that it's like getting unwanted emails which flood your mailbox every day...that's not what this was at all...

That's just my opinion on the matter...perhaps you see it a different way.

MotherNature

I just wanted to jump in here and make sure that things don't get out of hand since I am the one who sent the PM.

I am not in the practice of SPAMing anyone and quite frankly I get annoyed at other sites that do send out tons of emails to their members.

I, on occasion, will send out a PM to the members if an advertiser has an offer that he wanted to extend to the members of this site only. The reason for the PM is because if the offer is posted on the site it is open to the general public to see and take advantage of and sometimes that is not what the sponsor/advertiser wants. So a PM is the best way to handle that kind of situation.

If you do not want to get the email associated with the PM system, you need to go to your profile and make sure that you do not have "send email notifications" checked and that will stop any email from being sent to you. If you did not get an email and are only referring to the PM that was sent to you I apologise but you may get the occasional PM.

If you still want to receive the email notifications about PM's that you get then you are stuck with the occasional PM about a special offer.

On a more serious note.... I have only sent one PM with a special offer in the last two years that I can remember, so this is not a regular practice. You are all members of the site and you have control of your own profiles which give you control of what gets emailed and what doesn't. Please visit your profile and make sure that your settings are correct!

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

Fishaholic

this was the first one I got in approximately 9 months...!!!

some other sites I used to belong to did it on a weekly basis, now that's what I call spamming the membership.

I think you'll find that UltimateBass is the least pushiest site of all the big hitters in the fishing site arena....I for one was appreciative to have received the PM concerning the offer,  ~c~ because sometimes I miss offers that are only posted in the Business-to-Business section.

Basseye

Quote from: Fishaholic on September 02, 2005, 02:02:22 PM
if it were spam, wouldn't it have come in the way of a regular email, vs. the PM format that you got it in...besides, it's an offer from one of our sponsors who advertises here...it was a heads up on a great offer.

Would you have been upset if you as a member didn't get any notice of this great offer? Just curious.

My viewpoint on spam is that it's like getting unwanted emails which flood your mailbox every day...that's not what this was at all...

That's just my opinion on the matter...perhaps you see it a different way.

Fishaholic...

Although I respect your opinion and your input....

This is a Club discussion.

I don't want folks afraid to post because they are going to be questioned by the entire world.

If Tracker received something via e-mail or PM from this site,and he doest want to receive it, it's a problem. We haven't even determined it was the P.M. he is referring too. A lot of us use our .mil address, and that could present a issue if SPAM does become a problem. I, like you, don't consider P.M.'s SPAM, but that is how I feel.

If it is an issue of P.M.'s, It is only a matter of changing his profile  not to notify him of new P.M.'s. (I think) If it is unsolicited e-mails from a board sponsor, that is a problem. I have never received any of this, so I doubt that is the issue.

Please don't feel you are not welcome here, you are. I just ask that you are careful in your verbage not too come across as condescending.

If it does turn out to be a problem, I will talk to Laurie, and we will get it fixed.

Basseye
Lippum and Leavum

Fishaholic

sorry if I offended you with the directness of my response.

it's not condescending, it's merely my opinion...and I believe I stated that it was my opinion.

MotherNature

Basseye,

since you are the moderator for the club board I will let you take care of it. Just let me know if you need me to do anything.

Brian,

if it was the PM that you are refering to I hope that we didn't scare you away ;) It really isn't a regular practice around here and now that it has been brought to my attention it probably won't be a practice at all.

The one thing that I really, really love about our site is that we are not like all the "others" and that we have a great family/community going on. I do have to pay the bills but I have really tried hard not to make it at the expence of the members.

I totally understand about the .mil email addresses and if you guys need some help on that end I have some resources available that might help.

Laurie

Basseye

Quote from: Fishaholic on September 02, 2005, 02:55:56 PM
sorry if I offended you with the directness of my response.

it's not condescending, it's merely my opinion...and I believe I stated that it was my opinion.

Fishaholic,

Please SPAM.....I mean.......PM me with any further opinions on this subject.

Thanks,
Basseye
Lippum and Leavum

-Bryan-

Laurie, no, I am not scared away, I just get a lot of "junk" mail and that just added to it, I didn't mean to start a big tiff.  I do appreciate what you do and the site you provide, this is a fantastic forum and I have really enjoyed it to this point and don't see where that will change.  I understand paying the bills and all.  I will change my profile and would have but I wasn't aware I could until now.  Thanks for all you do!

Fishaholic-I don't know about you, but I am a member of several different boards and this is the first and only one I have gotten a sales type of email from and yes, I personally consider an un-solicited sales pitch email as SPAM even if it's from a great site like this one.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Skipper (ripnlips)

I happen to like SPAM. it`s especially good for breakfast on hunting and fishing trips. Just fry it up with some hashbrowns and eggs. mmmmm, good stuff, LOL

MotherNature

lo I like mine with a little mayo ;)

No problem Tracker03 I am still learning and I hope to keep learning from all of you. I had a bad feeling about sending that PM out knowing that it would go to several folk's email box but I let it go anyway. You don't have to worry about that kind of stuff again cause we have a newsletter that folks can subscribe to and that is where the ads will go from now on ;)

On a more positive note, I am glad that you like the site and I look forward to the Offutt Anglers being here for a long time.

Laurie