Boulder/Longment/Fort Collins Bass Fishing Report

Started by hartzejr, September 09, 2005, 03:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hartzejr

Hello all. Brand new to this site but seems to be attracting some Front Range bass fishers! Good to see.
I grew up in Colorado fishing for trout in the mountains (from Leadville originally).
I've been in Boulder (mostly) for almost 5 years now. Lived in Fort Collins for a summer as well. I've managed to find some great fisheries for bass ranging from Boulder and up to the fort. Recently nailed a 20-22 incher up in fort collins. Floated a pond w/ my belly boat for about 7 hours, getting the big guys at about hour 5 and not a whole lot more action to tell you the truth. But my goal that day was to get a hog... So if anybody is interested in heading out somewhere in this region let me know. Gotta be willing to put in a long day though.
Hitting up Sawhill and Walden Ponds this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

-Jeff

left_turn56

Good luck...I really enjoy those ponds! Welcom to UB.

Where are we going...and why are we in this hand basket???

Josh Hinchberger

Hey Jeff,
My name is Josh and I live in Boulder and am an avid bass stalker. I usually fish Walden, Sawhill, lonetree, and pella crossing. Spring fishing has been somewhat productive at walden if you havent experienced that already, black and blue jigs with black swimmin trailers are hot right now as I have landed three 4 pounders so far. anyway shoot me an e-mail if you would like to head out to walden sometime.
Josh

jigginpig

so was it 20" or 22"? PoPo

sorry, just had to...great fish, huge for our area!

joe4theavs

I caught a nice 5-6 pound bass last Friday at Walden/Sawhill! 

I can't wait to go back for some more!

See pdf below

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time is never wasted, when your wasted all the time!

joe4theavs

Not sure why I'm posting here cause it doesn't seem like the Colorado people are active on here!

I went fishing Sunday morning, 6/4 at McCall.  Caught a couple of nice bass in the morning then took a little trip just south to Sawhill/Walden until noon.  (Sawhill/Walden was only 10-15min away!)

To get to McCall you take 1-25 to exit/highway 66 west and then just past 76th on the left.

-Joe

erik

Hello!

Glad I found this site.

I went out to Sawhill yesterday (6-7) at the crack of dawn to get some fishing in before work.

Haven't fished for years.

Took the fly pole out and caught a couple of small bass on a wooly bugger.

Fished right of the shore letting the fly sink into the murky water near the plants growing under water.

Meanwhile, there are some big bass jumping out in the middle of the pond.

Sawmill is 'no boating.'  Does this mean no belly boats as well?

-e

k0diak

You cannot have ANY kind of watercraft out there...but who needs bellyboats...the fishing is GREAT from shore!..those ponds are small enough...nice report by the way! :)
Heres mine from 6-6-06

Tight Lines ;)

Oh and Joe...keep those posts coming...you would be surprised by how many people from Colorado visit this site ;)

"The only thing better than fishing, is talking about fishing."

joe4theavs

Awesome!  Way to go!  I can't wait to go back out there soon.

Which Sawhill ponds do you like to fish out of?  I've been having great luck at the Walden Duck Pond.

-Joe

ERIK

I got out Walden ponds --  I had never been out there.  Water is really clear.  I was at the duck pond I think.

I had about 30 minutes before work and just wanted to 'scout it out,' but I brought my fly pole just in case. 

Not a whole lot of space for back casting--I am guessing most fisherman on this lake use a bait cast or spin cast set up.

Anyway, I hiked over to the lake west of duck pond and checked it out, and then headed back for work.

But on my way as I was walking along the bank near the NW corner of Duck Pond, I saw about 5 fish crusing along.  Definately not blue gill.  And I didn't think that bass 'schooled' and 'cruised'...  were those possible lake trout?

So I scrambled down to the bank and roll cast but they had already gone.

I am probably going to buy some lures and use the spin cast rod.  what kind of lures are people using?

-e

joe4theavs

I've had great luck at the Duck Pond....I've used some topwater lures, but had the best luck with dark colored plastic worms.  I try and get out there as much as I can.  If you see a white honda passport, you'll find me fishin on duck pond or close, just say Hey Joe!

Some of the smallmouth there will school together and cruise with each other looking for food.  However the big hogs are loners and you'll find them deep early morning or late afternoon in the weeds.

mkorpal

Hi, I'm Matt. I have been flyfishing for the past few years but have decided to get back to bass fishing. Right now I am living in Denver, but will live in Ft. Collins for the next few years. I am looking to make a list of places to try when I move up there. I am looking for lakes/ponds that are within half an hour and are free to fish (no state parks). The only place I have fished up there is Horsetooth, so I'm not too familiar with the fishing there. Also, where exactly are those Sawhill ponds you have been talking about and how far of a drive is it from Ft. Collins. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Matt

ekubec

Matt,

Sawhill / Walden are a group of about 18 ponds, located just north of the RR tracks that are just north of Valmont and 75th, on 75th.

I have had a lot of luck stalking small mouth bass along the shore of sawhill pond 1-b using a fly rod and a wooly bugger.  The bass are only about 8 to 10 inches, but are fun nonetheless.  When the lighting is right, I have been able to sight fish. 

There are bigger bass in Duck pond which is walden.  I have not landed a bass there yet, although I got a hit last night, and had one on for about 20 seconds on saturday.  I was using a plastic worm with two hooks.

-e

ednadolski

What do folks like to use at Pella Crossing?

I was there a few weeks ago, bank fishing as I have no boat.  Used plastic worms but only caught weeds all morning, while the two guys 100-150 ft. out from me offshore on their bass boat were were reeling 'em in left & right. 

(Yep, was a bit of :bang  ... being a beginner, it wasn't the most encouraging experience...  :) )

BTW any other ponds that are hot lately?

Thanks,
Ed

joe4theavs

Hi Ednadoiski,

Its probably easier if you post a new subject instead of using these older discussions.

Anyway, Pella is very productive but a float tube is definitely the way to go.  Shore fishing can be a challenge sometimes there. 

Topwaters, spinerbait and worms are all working right now.  I've been having a great season with minnow looking lures/bait or try using a 4inch  worm with a tail.  Dark colors are working well or watermelon. 

Walden and sawhill ponds are doing very well from what I hear. 

ednadolski

Thanks joe4theavs.   I just got me one of those 9' inflatable boats & some of those lures you mention, I think I'll give Pella another go within the next week or so  (I can almost hear the bass snickering already  lo )

Ed