Quick question on frog lures???

Started by Yeaperous, November 14, 2009, 10:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeaperous

so i just bought some frog lures, should i use mono, flore, or braid ???

Camden

In my opinion id go with braid. as most frogs have double hooks that are either very close to the body or slightly embedded in the body, they require a harder hookset. mono stretches to much some flouros are pretty good but just not for me.

Yeaperous

Camden

well with braid you can get a very high lbs breaking point.
most people i know generally use around a 65lb braid since its diameter is that of around a 17 lb mono. plus the 65lb helps pull them out of the grass and thick stuff when ya need to.

Yeaperous

thanks for everything, i think im all set for fishing bass now...

Camden

no problem. just remember than on a frog dont set the hook right away. give it about a second and a half tighten the line and then set the hook.

OutdoorFrontiers

Yep, Mohunter is right.  Braid works great for frog fishing.  You need the low/no stretch of braid to get the hooks into the fish as well as controlling the fish to get it up on top of the water and keep it coming your way.  Stretchy line isn't going to give you that control.

I use a lot of 50 lb when I'm frogging, but I have gone to 65 if I'm fishing exceptionally heavy cover or when I think I might be getting into some bigger fish.

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

Yeaperous

thanks both of you, really appreciate it...whenever i need help, ill ask you guys, i think yah know a lot more than the others...keep it coming with advice, ill need a whole lot more to be as good as you guys anyways...

Camden

The one thing to remember is you will never know everything. i learn something new everytime im on the water.

and thanks for the compliment but there are a ton of guys on here that know more than me. lo

Doug C

Here's my .02 cents - first, I have recently (this summer) become addicted to frog fishing, still catching them deep into Nov with frogs, here in north Texas from the banks. I find it very hard to make myself throw anything else now that I've seen so much success with the frogs... wish I had discovered them sooner. Secondly, I totally subscribe to everything the other guys are suggesting. I believe that braid probably is the best bet.... However, since I've been out of a job for the last several months I have not been able to invest in a spool of braid and have been using #12 mono. I'm surprised at how few fish I loose with it, I land nearly every fish that gives me a good strike. Plus I like that it floats too, makes keeping those buzz frogs on top of the water easier (I'd suspect?). Also, another thing that concerns me is that I've yanked the frog out of fishes mouths with the "stretchy" mono on hookset a few times in the past, so my fear is that I may do that more with a non-stretching braid. I just wanted to put this out there so that others don't get the idea that braid is a complete necessity. I'll be switching to it when I can but I've come to realise that it can wait a bit. BTW, I have been fishing lots of vegetation with the mono but NOT lots of stumpy tree type areas - which is where the braid would come in real handy and I have indeed lost a fish that ran deep into the veggies - so there you go.

Doug C

andy52887

I stick with power pro 65 lbs. braid it is more then enough.I live in NW louisiana and we have some really thick cover and i can really pull on them and not worry about a thing.Also another tip if you are just fun fishing buy the exspensive braid and when it starts to change colors pull it off the reel onto a spool and then rewind it so u get twice the use.Braid also floats so it helps when frog fishing.Good luck.
Stanley Field Staff (www.fishstanley.com)

OutdoorFrontiers

Quote from: andy52887 on November 18, 2009, 06:45:42 PM
I stick with power pro 65 lbs. braid it is more then enough.I live in NW louisiana and we have some really thick cover and i can really pull on them and not worry about a thing.Also another tip if you are just fun fishing buy the exspensive braid and when it starts to change colors pull it off the reel onto a spool and then rewind it so u get twice the use.Braid also floats so it helps when frog fishing.Good luck.

You can wait to switch the line until long after the color has faded.  I usually wait until the line is pure white and VERY fuzzy before reversing it onto another reel. 

If you change it around as soon as the color fades, the pitch it when the "back half" fades out too, you're throwing away perfectly good line and wasting a lot of money.

I do agree about the braided line floating and helping with the frog fishing.

Steve

TrailerHook

Quote from: Doug C on November 17, 2009, 06:23:25 PM
Here's my .02 cents - first, I have recently (this summer) become addicted to frog fishing, still catching them deep into Nov with frogs, here in north Texas from the banks. I find it very hard to make myself throw anything else now that I've seen so much success with the frogs... wish I had discovered them sooner. Secondly, I totally subscribe to everything the other guys are suggesting. I believe that braid probably is the best bet.... However, since I've been out of a job for the last several months I have not been able to invest in a spool of braid and have been using #12 mono. I'm surprised at how few fish I loose with it, I land nearly every fish that gives me a good strike. Plus I like that it floats too, makes keeping those buzz frogs on top of the water easier (I'd suspect?). Also, another thing that concerns me is that I've yanked the frog out of fishes mouths with the "stretchy" mono on hookset a few times in the past, so my fear is that I may do that more with a non-stretching braid. I just wanted to put this out there so that others don't get the idea that braid is a complete necessity. I'll be switching to it when I can but I've come to realise that it can wait a bit. BTW, I have been fishing lots of vegetation with the mono but NOT lots of stumpy tree type areas - which is where the braid would come in real handy and I have indeed lost a fish that ran deep into the veggies - so there you go.

Doug C

Hi, Doug.  The reason you are pulling the frog away from the fish on hookset may be that you are not waiting long enough before setting the hook.  If you react too quickly while fishing a topwater bait such as a scum frog, you can pull the bait away from the fish before they have it fully in their mouth.  I know its hard to do when you see that explosive strike on the surface, but always try to wait just a second or so until the fish goes under with your bait and you feel him on the line before setting the hook.  I think you'll find that you get a lot more hook-ups this way.  Just a suggestion.

As for the answer to the original poster's question, I have 65 lb braid spooled on my froggin' rig for three main reasons.  1)  When fishing a frog, I am generally fishing around thick vegetation such as matted grass or lilly pads and the braid helps you cut through all that stuff and get your fish to the boat when you hook up.  2)  The no-stretch braided line provides a solid powerful hookset to help drive those frog hooks home.  3) Braid floats so it helps to keep your bait on the surface.
ROLL TIDE!

BHubb

Good advice from everyone, I recently started frog fishing (last two trips) and agree the braid makes a difference.  I've been throwing 50lb power pro and have had a lot of success.  Good call on spooling the line to another reel to use the back half before replacing.  This will definitely save a few bucks. 

Besides using the braid, what size hook are you rigging for the 4" zoom horny toads?  What is too small and can it be too big?  Maybe a 7/0 or 8/0?

OutdoorFrontiers

Quote from: BHubb on November 24, 2009, 07:35:09 PM
Good advice from everyone, I recently started frog fishing (last two trips) and agree the braid makes a difference.  I've been throwing 50lb power pro and have had a lot of success.  Good call on spooling the line to another reel to use the back half before replacing.  This will definitely save a few bucks. 

Besides using the braid, what size hook are you rigging for the 4" zoom horny toads?  What is too small and can it be too big?  Maybe a 7/0 or 8/0?

I don't like to get too big of a hook.  All that does is add weight and sink the Horny Toad easier.  I've been using a 5/0 EWG Gamakatsu hook.  I start out hooking it Texas-rigged through the nose, but instead of running the hook point back into the lure body, I bend the toad body and simply place one leg on each side of the hook bend.  This way the point is just riding on the back and is pretty weedless, but it's not being restrained by having to be pulled through the plastic on the hookset.

I missed very few fish last season rigging toads this way versus conventional Texas-rigging.

Steve

TrailerHook

Quote from: OutdoorFrontiers on November 25, 2009, 08:44:20 AM
I don't like to get too big of a hook.  All that does is add weight and sink the Horny Toad easier.  I've been using a 5/0 EWG Gamakatsu hook.  I start out hooking it Texas-rigged through the nose, but instead of running the hook point back into the lure body, I bend the toad body and simply place one leg on each side of the hook bend.  This way the point is just riding on the back and is pretty weedless, but it's not being restrained by having to be pulled through the plastic on the hookset.

I missed very few fish last season rigging toads this way versus conventional Texas-rigging.

Steve

Brilliant! :-*  Excellent suggestion.
ROLL TIDE!

OutdoorFrontiers

LOL, occasionally I do come up with some good ideas, despite what my wife says.... ~shhh

Steve

ex301p

Braid all the way! I use 40lb in open water for I get a little more casting distance with it and 65lb when fishing the slop.

FishingKing84

Yea go braid. Here I gotta place I take the canoe, call it the swamp only thing u can get back there (backwater) with logs, trees and ton of Hydrilla, used mono several outings lost many fish, using snag proof frog, well got 50lb braid, able to rip them right out, makes a world of difference.
Harry W. Peyton II

Yeaperous

great advices, keep it coming, learning more every time...

Doug C

which color of the power pro are you guys buying?

Doug C

fishinfranklin

Doug i have only ever seen green on the shelf and thats all i have ever bought,,an have you killed the rest of them frogs yet??

TrailerHook

Quote from: Doug C on December 02, 2009, 12:40:24 AM
which color of the power pro are you guys buying?

Doug C

I have green spooled onto my bass fishing reels right now, but I have yellow on my saltwater reels I use for reds and specks.
ROLL TIDE!

OutdoorFrontiers

I like the good ol' green.  It doesn't really matter cuz they all turn gray anyway....

And that's when the line starts getting broke in!

Steve

coldfront

Quote from: Doug C on November 17, 2009, 06:23:25 PM
...another thing that concerns me is that I've yanked the frog out of fishes mouths with the "stretchy" mono on hookset a few times in the past, so my fear is that I may do that more with a non-stretching braid..

I did that a lot too...before I switched to braid...now, if they 'bite more than just the legs' I pretty much 'set up on them'...and I'm a bit different than many...I don't give them a couple of seconds with the frog...like some old timers have been known to say '...those bass don't have hands...'  if they get it, it's pretty much going to be 'in the mouth'...