Quick question on frog lures???

Started by Yeaperous, November 14, 2009, 10:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeaperous

that's very true, once they jump for it, pretty much its in the mouth since their mouth is so big...

Yeaperous

so does the frog work best in the spring time where real frogs start reproducing or does it work anytime you see moss and lily pads???

OutdoorFrontiers

Quote from: Yeaperous on December 04, 2009, 04:39:36 PM
so does the frog work best in the spring time where real frogs start reproducing or does it work anytime you see moss and lily pads???

I start using frogs and toads as soon as the weeds start emerging and I start seeing frogs and toads!  In northern Wisconsin, the water temps were still in the 50's.

And then I use them until the weeds start dying back in the fall.  Here in Tennessee, I was still using them in the middle of October.

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

Yeaperous

places i go to doesn't really have any moss or lily pads but then the fish are there, i usually use spinner bait, buzz bait, swim bait, and zara spooks...any advice for open water fishing???

Bassinkorea

Cast the frog along the bank and retrieve it back parralell to the bank. Is there any grass or cover alnog the banks of the water you fish.
When I'm fishing during the summer months I can always hear frogs in the grass along the banks.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

bassindude

Do you use the same knots on braid as you do on Mono?
Jim ><///'>><///'>

Bassinkorea

Quote from: bassindude on December 05, 2009, 09:31:43 AM

I do not. For mono I use a clinch knot, and for braid I use a triline knot as braid tends to slip if I use the clinch knot. I know many folks here like to use a different knot than me  ;D
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

OutdoorFrontiers

I use either a Palomar Knot or an Improved Clinch Knot.  BUT.....  with a slight modification.

If you tie an Improved Clinch with mono and do the standard four wraps of the tag end around the mainline, it'll hold.  Do that exact same knot with braid and it'll slip sure as heck.

So I still used the Improved Clinch, but do SEVEN wraps of the tag end around the main line.

Steve

coldfront

Quote from: bassindude on December 05, 2009, 09:31:43 AM

I've used palomars on mono, flouro and braid...

will use improved clinch knot on 8# test mono or lower...

Never had a knot slip on me...

andy52887

When using buzzing frogs i throw the Stanley ribbit and i do the same as frontiers but i had 3 trips here on a local lake catching over 50 fish a day and i always throw owner 3/0 just the offset worm hooks but you have to let the fish take it and you will get a good hook up.But the horny toad may be a little longer that would require a little larger hook.
Stanley Field Staff (www.fishstanley.com)

Yeaperous

yeah that's what i do, throw buzzbait and zara spooks along the bank...never tried the frog that way though because not sure if it will work, oh and its just rocks no weed or plants around the bank...well uh, i still need to buy me some stanley ribbit frog because i heard it was great...

OutdoorFrontiers

Quote from: Yeaperous on December 07, 2009, 04:15:28 AM
yeah that's what i do, throw buzzbait and zara spooks along the bank...never tried the frog that way though because not sure if it will work, oh and its just rocks no weed or plants around the bank...well uh, i still need to buy me some stanley ribbit frog because i heard it was great...

Actually, there was a period of time this fall where I did quite well on a rock/gravel shoreline with a Zoom Horny Toad.  This particular bank drops off quite quickly into deep water.  I threw the Toad right up on shore and gave it a hop into the water.  Before the lure would make it two feet from dry land, a bass would grab it!

I learned long ago that bass don't read the same magazine articles that we do, especially the ones that say you have to fish frogs in the weeds!

Steve

Baron49

Quote from: OutdoorFrontiers on December 07, 2009, 10:23:35 AM

I learned long ago that bass don't read the same magazine articles that we do, especially the ones that say you have to fish frogs in the weeds!

Steve

Been using Ribbits, Rage Toads and Horny Toads for Smallmouths in clear open water over rocky points, humps, and shoals for years.  It is possible to call them up from 20+ feet on calm days in very clear water.

bassindude

[/quote]

This supprises me.  THe few times I have used light line i could not get the improved cinch koot to hold, and had to use the palomar. 
Jim ><///'>><///'>

coldfront

Quote from: bassindude on December 08, 2009, 06:54:59 PM

This supprises me.  THe few times I have used light line i could not get the improved cinch koot to hold, and had to use the palomar. 

one thing I do keep in mind...I won't 'tie' to say, the eyelet of a spook with that light of line...the guage of the eyelet is so thick that a clinch know has a hard time holding...I think it has to do with 'angles' and relation to line wraps etc..

the improved clinch knot I use has 5-7 wraps, goes through the loop just ahead of the eye of the lure and back through the 'outside' loop...moisten with saliva (interesting thought process in light of recent 'blue-green algae' scares as well as e.coli)...i'm fishing either Trilene XL, Trilene 100% flouro with these weights.

Doug C

I like the palomar soo much on everything that I'm going to have to see a bit of slipping (with the braid) before I switch to something else. Incidently I remember this conversation in another thread - and apparently it's better (or atleast acceptable) not to wet the knot before cinching it down when using braid. Supposedly the wax on the braid keeps the friction at bay so that you won't get snap offs at the knot. Sounds good to me anyway.

hey fishinwithfranklin, yep I went through those Big Bite frogs a while back... they caught me plenty of bass too! Got 'em on my christmas list now  ~read

Doug C

Yeaperous

zoom horny toad, where can i get that, never seen it in wal-mart, big 5 or sports authority...maybe im just not looking good enough, well uh, i want some type of frog or toad that floats and dont cost much, any advice on that???

BHubb

I've been picking up the Zoom Horny Toads at Bass Pro and Academy sports.  Have seen a few at Wal mart but not he selection they have at Academy.  I really like them, but have been trying a few other types, no opinions on the others yet but find myself going back to the Zoom.

OutdoorFrontiers

You might want to look a little harder at Wal-Mart next time you're there, I'd be surprised if they're not in stock.  The stores in Rhinelander, WI and Paris TN both carry Zoom Horny Toads.  They've got the colors I want, black, watermelon green and junebug.  That's all I need.

Steve

Camden

I know the walmarts around here wont carry them especially in the winter months. proly gonna have to hit bass pro or something like that.

stonecold

I've been fishing frogs for almost 15 years now.  I started off with some house brand frogs from a place just North of Dallas......and switched to the Zoom Horny Toads when they came out.  I've used just about every frog I've seen....but, still like the Zooms the best.  The only thing I don't like about them, is how easily the legs rip. 
I use 30lb. power pro braid, with a 20 lb. mono leader (P-line.)  I like the leader....less likely to spook the fish.  It's also a lot easier to tie the frogs on.  I use a Blood knot to connect the lines, and a loop knot to the hook.  The loop knot is one I started using about 6 or 7 years ago.  I learned it from watching a guy on a fishing show here in Florida.  He uses it for snook, redfish, tarpon, and other game fish.  I love this knot!  I get a lot better action on all of my lures.  The only time I don't use it.....spinnerbaits! 
The Zoom Horny Toad is great at buzzing, swimming, and one other way.....dropping like a tube bait.  It spirals down, just like a tube.....caught a lot of nice ones that way.  I've also caught quite a few, by swimming it for a couple of feet, let it drop to the bottom.....and occaisionally letting it just lay on the bottom.  Let it lay there....and do something else for a minute....eat a candybar, or something....then, slowly start reeling it in....amazing how many bass will take it like that, and you won't know until you feel them on the end. 
I also like the hook that is made specifically for the Zoom Toad.  The spiral keeper keeps the head from tearing as much.  The frogs last a lot longer that way.
Yes, fisheaters, the days of troublesome  scaling, cutting, & gutting are over.  Super Bass-O-Matic '76 by Rovco-the amazing new kitchen tool.  Catch a bass, remove the hook, and drop the bass-that's the WHOLE bass-into the Super Bass-O-Matic '76.  Adjust the control dial so that the bass is blended just the way you like it.  YES-it's that simple!

coldfront

Quote from: stonecold on December 16, 2009, 07:47:47 PMThe Zoom Horny Toad is great at buzzing, swimming, and one other way.....dropping like a tube bait.  It spirals down, just like a tube.....caught a lot of nice ones that way.  I've also caught quite a few, by swimming it for a couple of feet, let it drop to the bottom.....and occaisionally letting it just lay on the bottom.  Let it lay there....and do something else for a minute....eat a candybar, or something....then, slowly start reeling it in....amazing how many bass will take it like that, and you won't know until you feel them on the end. 

very good points Stonecold...there are a lot of 'other' ways to fish this type of bait.  I like to occasionally 'kill it'...I've watched it when I've pitched it too...it has a 'dieing flutter' to it ... I refer to it as a death spiral...  that can really work on fish sometimes.  And you nailed it on the 'dead sticking' ... that'll work too.

It's sometimes hard for me not to just 'buzz' the darned thing...the hits are so much fun.  Especially when water temps hit 80°F and higher...

stonecold

Hey coldfront.....you got that right.....I love the topwater hit!  You get an adrenaline rush every time.  I've caught almost all of my biggest bass on the frog.  Only problem with buzzin a frog here in Florida.....gators love em too!  Caught a 3 footer last Sunday on a Zoom Toad.....the frog and the hook were mangled!  It was a nice fight though.  First time I caught one dead sticking, I had a backlash on my baitcasting reel.  I got it untangled, and then started to reel it in....and a 6 pounder had already picked it up. 
I love to use the black ones at night.....get some really big hits on em!
Yes, fisheaters, the days of troublesome  scaling, cutting, & gutting are over.  Super Bass-O-Matic '76 by Rovco-the amazing new kitchen tool.  Catch a bass, remove the hook, and drop the bass-that's the WHOLE bass-into the Super Bass-O-Matic '76.  Adjust the control dial so that the bass is blended just the way you like it.  YES-it's that simple!

stonecold

Almost forgot.....I also use the Red Power Pro braid.

Yeaperous

well i live in sacramento california and there aren't many frogs laying in the store, see alot of spinnerbait, buzzbait, rapala, and senkos but never seen frogs...maybe ill just order it online or something...well uh right now i cant get any bass to bite so just waiting til February or something...