Quick question on frog lures???

Started by Yeaperous, November 14, 2009, 10:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citruscrush

I use the spro frogs especially the popper frog.  They are 9 buck apice but they hold upwell and have caught me some big fish i caught a 7 and a 9 this year on them.  I use 50 lb power pro with a flouro leader. i use the uni-knot on the powerpro and it holds very well

Yeaperous

i guess 50lb braided line is the best since everyone use it, im actually using a 30lb braided power pro line, dont know if it really makes a difference - tell me if it does because i dont wanna lose a fish or my lures...

OutdoorFrontiers

When I'm frog/toad fishing, it's in heavy cover 99% of the time.  That means I have the drag cranked down tight and when I have a strike, I want to get the fish turned, heading my way right from the hookset.  I found I can't do that with 30 pound braid.  I use an American Rodsmith H3 Titanium pitching stick and would pop the 30 lb. line too often on hooksets.  That doesn't happen nearly as often using the 50 lb. 

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

Yeaperous

50lb seemed too big that's why i bought the 30lb but yeah i might just put a 50lb on a spool just in case the 30lb doesnt work out good...so you have the drag on tight, i always loosen it alittle for a big one but i might try that, dont wanna break my line though...

OutdoorFrontiers

Quote from: Yeaperous on December 18, 2009, 08:10:20 PM
50lb seemed too big that's why i bought the 30lb but yeah i might just put a 50lb on a spool just in case the 30lb doesnt work out good...so you have the drag on tight, i always loosen it alittle for a big one but i might try that, dont wanna break my line though...

Would you consider twelve pound mono too big?  Fifty pound PowerPro is the same diameter as twelve pound mono line.

And yes, I have the drag cranked down just as tight as I can get it.  I don't want ANY line slipping as long as the fish can be horsed from the weeds.  Once the fish is out of the weeds, if it's a biggun, I can freespool the fish if I need to.  I've done this with thirty pound muskies, why wouldn't it work with a six to ten pound bass?

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

Yeaperous

alright, ill do that then, ill put the drag on tight...and if a 50lb braided line can get a 30lb muskie, then of course a 30lb braided line can get a 10lb bass... :-*

Baron49

Quote from: Yeaperous on December 19, 2009, 03:14:20 AM
alright, ill do that then, ill put the drag on tight...and if a 50lb braided line can get a 30lb muskie, then of course a 30lb braided line can get a 10lb bass... :-*

I think you are missing the point here on the braided line.  You buy braided line based on the line diameter NOT the pound test!  30 pound test Power Pro is about equal to 8 pound test mono in diameter.  What happens when using too small a diameter braided line in thick cover is it starts to fray very quickly and will break.  50 pound test Power Pro is about 12 pound test diameter, I use this for fishing buzz frogs in sparse cover.  65 pound test Power Pro is close to 17 pound test diameter an is what I use for floating frogs in really thick stuff.  Some of the Elite Pros use even heavier pound test braid when fishing for lunker bass in thick cover.

As far as Musky fishing goes I rarely ever use less then 65 pound test Power Pro!  I do not want a bass, musky, or any fish for that matter to end up swimming around with a mouth full of hooks because I did not use the proper line test for the conditions I was fishing.

coldfront

Quote from: Yeaperous on December 18, 2009, 02:12:43 AM
i guess 50lb braided line is the best since everyone use it, im actually using a 30lb braided power pro line, dont know if it really makes a difference - tell me if it does because i dont wanna lose a fish or my lures...

I fish it on 30# suffix braid.  Tried the 50-60# stuff...it cut down on my casting distance ...

I find much more success with longer casts (30-40 yard casts  ~bb)...and with a heavy action long rod and braid...no issues setting hooks (my 'set up' gets me successful hook ups on the HT to the same percentage as jig or T-rigged worm fishing...well over 90% 'strikers' are hook ups)...

I fish it in heavy cover...over dense weed matts...no worries on my end.

Like with all choices, there will, however, be trade offs...pros/cons to heavier vs lighter line...rods...etc.  Just think about what you're doing and which approach makes the most sense for YOU...

Yeaperous

i did get the 30lb line equals to the same diameter of 8lbs but i thought it would still be strong, i thought it was a strong line but small diameter only...well, i still got alot to learn so keep the advices coming, thanks all... ~roflmao

coldfront

Quote from: Yeaperous on December 21, 2009, 03:47:04 AM
i did get the 30lb line equals to the same diameter of 8lbs but i thought it would still be strong, i thought it was a strong line but small diameter only...well, i still got alot to learn so keep the advices coming, thanks all... ~roflmao

good point Baron...the 30#suffix I use has a diameter similar to 12# line...hadn't looked at the Power Pro strength/diameter relations...

here's an interesting piece of information from a 'different' site...

Here's some data for the lines you mentioned:

I didn't see any 'work' that was done on the heavier poundages...sorry.

Baron49

Checked out a most of this before finally deciding on Power Pro for my braided line needs.  Wanted the most pound test with the thinest diameter possible.  With the 50 pound Power Pro (12 lb test diameter) have had no problems getting a lot of casting distance with even the lightest of buzz frogs like the Stanley Ribbit.  Plus still have a strong and durable line to haul those big hogs out of moderate cover.  The added weight of the floating frogs makes casting the 65 pound test Power Pro (17 lb test diameter) just as easy and you will need the added strength to get a big bass turned in thick heavy stuff.  Both the 50 and 65 pound test Power Pro hold up quite well before needing to retied due to fraying.

IMO....30 pound Power Pro (8 pound test diameter) is an excellent choice for fishing texas rigged plastics, small swimbaits, and big crankbaits in light to moderate cover.

Yeaperous

well ill just keep the 30lb line for crankbaits in stuff and put the 50lb line on the other spool just in case i start frog fishing...thanks by the way...

Yeaperous

right now i cant get anything with the frog, anyone else getting anything with frog or are people using worms or crankbaits???

BHubb

Yeaperous, It's been slow with the frog, I only caught 2 last week fishing a power plant lake but the small one was 3.4 and the other 3.7.  Both were hiding under an old grass mat and I couldn't resist throwing the frog over.  I caught a few more on a finesse worm but slow day overall.  I tried throwing a crank most of the day off of windy points but didn't get any hits.  Hope the weather turns and the fish start gearing up for the spawn later next month.   

Yeaperous

well congrats on the frog fishes...anyways, i guess worms are best for now since they sink way down there...still waiting til the end of january or middle of february to frog fish again, getting bored these days just using worms and crankbaits, cant see that top water action bite you know...

fishinjim

a little mention in regards to braided line size...

as far as strength and durability goes, i've never had a problem with 30lb power pro.  as many a bent hook will attest to, i've maybe broken off 30lb once in the past few years.

the reason i fish mostly 50-65lb power pro now is to have the extra line diameter on the spool.
the smaller diameter braids (30lb and under) have a tendency to dig into themselves on the spool when dealing with any kind of serious weight on the line... ie... big fish with 5lbs of grass surrounding him.

doesn't effect ya much when reeling in a fish or log, but when you go to make that next cast, it can be a real pain. 

Yeaperous

yeah, the 30lb line is nice, i love it..nice casting, great line strength, but i guess alot of people prefer 50 and 65lb line...it helps alot more though when fighting around weeds...thanks for the heads up...

Yeaperous

just got my new fishing license for the year and went frog fishing in the delta with my dad and caught couple of largemouth and smallmouth and a pike minnow...have some pictures of the frog still in the mouth but didnt put it on the comp yet, wait and see.... ~gf