Little Patuxent River - Savage Fishing Reports

Started by Creel Limit Zero, October 28, 2005, 10:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Creel Limit Zero

Fished Little Patuxent River 3:00-5:30 PM on 10/27/05.

River was still had a good flow to it with all the rains we have had.  Water was pretty clear, up to 3 feet in some areas.  River had just been stocked with 825 rainbows over the past week.

Fished with streamer flies for the 2+ hours.  Started out with a black ghost in #8, and did well, 2 rainbows one 12 inches, one 15 inches.  I also saw a golden trout pretty active.   ~c~  Pretty exciting to see some of these in there, I didn't think they stocked any goldens in this river this fall.  Second cast to the golden I got him to follow the streamer to a better location I knew I could get the fly close to him.  I cast it right in his line and let it flow down stream to him.  Just as it was a few inches from his inspecting nose, I gave a quick 6 inch pull on the line that I was sure he was going react to, out from behind the rock the golden was at came a nice rainbow to steal the fly from the golden.  I was happy to catch another rainbow  ;D , but frustrated I didn't get the golden.   :'(  This was another 15 inch rainbow, but this one was much more feisty than the other 15 inch rainbow.  So it moved the golden quite a ways from where I almost had him, plus it was a little spooked.  After a nice fight with the rainbow, I landed him and my fly was torn up.  I didn't have any more black ghost's,  :'(  So I tied on a grey ghost, hoping it could still be effective.  I managed my way downstream to where the golden went to without spooking it, and started casting towards him.  I got him to follow it on three short pulls of the fly line, and then it took the fly in, I tried to set the hook, and with two shakes of it's head he threw my fly.   :'(  It had to have tasted the hook point too, the way it was shaking it's head.   >:( ~xyz ~xyz  I was so angry I didn't set the hook. 

Well I continued on trying to coax this golden into biting, but it had nothing to do with the grey ghost now that it knows it bites back.  So I tied on a Mickey Finn, also in a #8.  Actually got the golden to follow it, and then from no where a small mouth bass came up and take the Mickey Finn.   :'(  Again, how can you be mad about catching a fish, but I wanted this golden trout.  Never caught one before, and only the second one I've ever seen to target.  Landed the SM bass, it was an 8", but still fun on a fly rod.   ;D

After the golden got spooked again by another fish battling another streamer fly, I didn't think it was going to go after another streamer.  I tried anyways.   ::)  After 7-8 casts right by the golden, there was almost no interest, it did come by and look at the streamer once, but it turned away quickly.  Since the trout was still downstream from me, I decided maybe I'll try and tight line nymph him.  I tied on a #18 beadhead prince nymph.  Cast right to him and let it flow downstream while sinking.  Right before the trout I pulled up on the line to raise the nymph towards the surface.  I thought it was perfect, but no go, not an interest whatsoever.  I tried several more times, but nothing.  I had to go, promised I would be home for dinner.   :'(

Still a good outing 3 rainbows, 2 good sized and a smallmouth.  There are certainly a good amount of stocked rainbows in here.  If I didn't target that  ~xyz golden for so long, I probably could've caught many more. 

Lipripper

Great report Creel and it looks lik eyou had a great day out there  ~c~ ~c~ Too bad about that Golden  :'( :'( but guess it just wasn't ment to be  :'( :'(

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet