Champion 184 SCR

Started by RonB, December 30, 2009, 12:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonB

I'm looking at possibly buying a used Champion boat. I dont know mch about Champions but I will post his add minus the huge blurb about lowballing him.  Could anyone look this add over and give me an idea if this sounds fair, or let me know if anything doesn't souns right, or maybe give me a hint as to other questions I should ask before attempting to buy this boat.

here is the add...

1992 Champion Bassboat, Excellent Condition, Kept in Barn its whole life, 45lb Motorguide Wireless Trolling Motor, 3 Fishing Seats (1 is a "butt seat")

The boat is resting safely in my insulated steel building .It has an Eagle GPS Fish Finder on dash that reads 56mph as the top speed that I've gotten it to. I have a feeling that with a different prop and maybe some adjustment on the jack plate, it can go faster. Regardless 56mph is very fast, and I'd say that this boat is tournament ready for the spring!

So here are some facts that you probably want to know:

19' SCR Model single console
1992 matching 175hp Mariner Outboard (same a Merc) starts and idles great
Heavy Duty single axle trailer with good rubber and surge brakes - lights work
Rebuilt the Trim pump this spring, will last many years
Eagle GPS on Dash
No fishfinder in front, as I replaced the trolling motor and didn't have time to replace with another one
Lights throughout the boat compartments
Carpet is good shape for age, a little minor wear but not in need of replacement
Seats are in EXCELLENT shape! No tears in upholstery
Hotfoot Pedal throttle, very easy to get used to and works excellent
Navigation Lights, Fire Extinguisher, and other safety equipment come with the boat
TITLES ARE IN HAND!!! - No waiting or searching
Registration good til 2012
Prop in great shape, some paint has worn off but no dings at all!!
Two Batteries, One Start/Deep Cycle, One Deep Cycle, One is less than a year old the other is one year old
Dual Bank battery Charger
Huge Livewell
33 Gallon Gas Tank!!!
Gets very reasonable gas mileage if not WOT all the time
Oil Injection* (I use both the oil injection as well as mix the oil in the gas, I'd rather it be a little rich and smoke a LITTLE when idling than risk blowing up a motor!
Water gauge and water pump just replaced - great 16psi water pressure under load

One of the things that I really appreciate about this boat is the deeper hull, it cuts through the water well. When I was asking around about the boat it was described as: "A boat that will handle the waves well, takes off a little slower than the faster, more shallow-hulled boats, but when returning back to the dock later in the day when all the recreational boaters are out, it can go faster because it won't get thrown around as much." That alone sold me on this.

Thanks,
Ron

Buzbait88

sounds like a good deal to me.  I love my 93champion and it has been a very solid boat for its age.  Champion is the best riding bassboat on the market.  I'm sure you'll love it.  Mind telling me what his asking price is?
THE VIBRASHOCK IS BACK!!
KaRu Lures
KaRu Facebook

RonB

Sorry, I thought I had that in there. he is asking $4700.00.  he did post a huge blurb about offering low offers being inconsiderate and disrespectful.  that blurb doesn't matter too me much, when I see the boat and if I like it, I will offer what I am willing to pay..he can only say no.

Can you tell me if the rod locker on this model will hold a 7'6" rod?
A champion dealer in Ohio also told me this model is way more front deck and not as much back deck...in fact he said he believes the back deck only has the live well and hatches for batteries and fuel tank..no storage.  In the club I am in, you are supposed to give the co angler one compartment..so that is a concern.

Other than the trolling motor being too small..everything else sounds good to me...I am hoping to be able to see it Friday or saturday morning.

Thanks,
Ron

fishinfranklin

Ron not sure if its the same but heres a picture of my ole 94, 190scx elite back deck and it had two rod holders up front, big enough for 7'8" rods,, Champions are known for there ride!!!

[attachment outdated - deleted by admin]

Buzbait88

Yes Ron, the rear deck is a little smaller and won't have any storage compartments.  It appears that 94 is the first year they did that cause my 93 doesn't have any storage back there.  Not sure about the 7'6" rod fitting in.  4700 seems like a decent price.  I'm trying to sell my 93 180 for 5500 but it has a brand new trolling motor and it has some scuffs and scratches and cracked seats.  So if the boat is in good condition it sounds like a fair price to me.
THE VIBRASHOCK IS BACK!!
KaRu Lures
KaRu Facebook

RonB

Thanks for the replys and picture!
I am just waiting for the seller to email me back with a time I can see it.  He replied to my first email and stated he still had it and a general location where he was...about 30 miles from me.

I hope its as nice as he says...I have a nice spot in the barn all ready for it.

Thanks,
Ron

RonB

I spoke with the seller this morning and am going to see it Friday morning.  I did ask for was told the model number is 184 SCR...meaning the boat is 18'4" , not 19 as first advertised.  I don't know if the 184 is less wide than the 190 either. He did say price was very flexable.

I'm taking a flipping rod with to see if the rod will fit in one of the dual rod lockers. I'm hoping it will fit because I couldn't spend the money on a boat that I cant lock up my rods in.
The main things I was looking for was rod storage, stability side to side and big water safe....My club has in the past gone to Erie and while I have no intention on trying ride out 6 to 8 footers in anything less than a big charter boat....I would like to be able to get back if something blows up somewhere.

I have never operated a boat in anything bigger than Brookville Lake Indiana, and I have never owned a bass boat bigger than my 16.6 I have now ... and with the little experience I have...well, I'm trying to learn.

Thanks,
Ron

Buzbait88

Its going to be alittle tippy.  Its going to have the skinnier beam.  I think those were 84" beam or something, but the 184 was one heck of a boat.
THE VIBRASHOCK IS BACK!!
KaRu Lures
KaRu Facebook

RonB

I went and looked at the boat yesterday morning. I was impressed with everything. The interior is almost perfect..just one tiny cig burn on the middle seat/cooler cover. The hull looked great with no deep scratches..in fact I could only find one small one near the front where it rubed at some point.
The 175 magnum EFI fired right up with muffs and it was 12 deg outside.  It did take about a minute and half for water to start peeing out...The muffs were small and we had to hold them in place to keep water from spraying out the sides..I'm assuming on the water this will be a lot better.
The only electrical thing that did not work was the horn, and the trim controls on the bow are not hooked up..he said he pulled the cover and didn't find the wires.  Is that an option that might not have been purchased or maybe somebody disconnected n the last 18 years??

It does have an aluminum prop..he said if I was a good diver he could show me where the boat stop going forward when the stainless prop fell off.  Can anyone also reccomend a decent stainless and what pitch do I need ??

I'm also trying to find a flipping deck extension like the one I saw on Buzbait88's youtube video...if anyone knows where they could be found.

I guess now I have to see if the bank thinks the boat is worth the agreed upon price and see if we can agree on interest rates and down payment.

If I can, I'll post a picture

RonB

Here is an interior picture

Jared LeBlue

Dang, that's a well kept boat.
Ardent Prostaff

Buzbait88

I can't see the pic on my phone but it sounds like a great boat. The deck extension came with my boat when I bought it and man its nice if you can find one buy it!  A 24 pitch tempest plus will be your best bet with that boat, but you might want to try 1 first and see what she runs and go from there.
THE VIBRASHOCK IS BACK!!
KaRu Lures
KaRu Facebook

nmanley

The boat look in good condition.

QuoteIt did take about a minute and half for water to start peeing out...The muffs were small and we had to hold them in place to keep water from spraying out the sides..I'm assuming on the water this will be a lot better.

I would not assume this as I've never had my mercury motors, from that time frame, only took 10 or 15 seconds to piss water. It's easy to change the water impeller though. Just drop the foot and it's right there on top.  ;)
Cheap insurance to keep the motor happy too.
Nolan Manley - Daleville AL

Buzbait88

If the motor hasn't been ran for a while it might of had water frozen in the tubing or something.  As long as it pee'd it might not have been a big problem
THE VIBRASHOCK IS BACK!!
KaRu Lures
KaRu Facebook

fishinfranklin

Nice boat!! It was 12 degrees its going to take a little while for the themostats to open.Did you do a commpression test on it?? it fireing right up dont tell me its ok,, I highly recommend checking the commpression before paying for the boat. it can be down a cly or two an the average person will not detect it at idle not under a load.

RonB

The compression from the shop he had it serviced at wrote down between 95 and 105 on all cylinders...from what I have read...thats in an ok range??

Anyway we settled on a price I couldn't turn down and I brought it home yesterday. I had a monthly club meeting last night so I only had about an hour to wipe it down. Lots more cleaning to do...towing it 50 miles down the highway got it pretty dirty.

I am now looking for info on how to check if the motor/jackplate is set right and looking for info on what kind of, and pitch stainless prop I will need. I was told by a Champion dealer in upper Ohio that I should get a 24 pitch prop.  I'm not sure as the dealer also told me that if I am getting 56 mph gps on an alum prop...a. stainless prop will get me in the 65 to 70 mph range.  Everyone else I have spoken to said that is unrealistic and I may be able to around 62 mph.  Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Ron

Buzbait88

I would try a 24 pitch tempest plus on that hull.  It should scoot right along, but not 70.  65 is a doable for sure.  The highest I got my 93 180 with 175 is 63.9 but the 184 is a faster hull.  Most people set the jackplate at about 3.5" below pad and then move up 1/4" at a time until you lose speed or lose water pressure.
THE VIBRASHOCK IS BACK!!
KaRu Lures
KaRu Facebook

RonB

A guy at my club meeting last night told me he had a brand new in the box 24 pitch tempest plus prop that he would sell me for $250.00. I told him to let me find out if thats the one I need and if it was I would buy it.  Thanks for the info!!

Rpn

Buzbait88

Quote from: RonB on January 07, 2010, 09:16:08 PM
A guy at my club meeting last night told me he had a brand new in the box 24 pitch tempest plus prop that he would sell me for $250.00. I told him to let me find out if thats the one I need and if it was I would buy it.  Thanks for the info!!

Rpn

THATS A STEAL!!  I think those things run about 600$ new.  I want to find one to try on my boat and see what happens.
THE VIBRASHOCK IS BACK!!
KaRu Lures
KaRu Facebook

Lea

Great boat!!!   The beam is 86".  As said above, you want to start with that prop-to-pad at 3.5" below.  Adjust both up and down in 1/4" increments to find the sweet spot.  Be sure and watch water pressure gauge (if it does not have one, GET ONE!!)  The 24p Tempest plus should be good.  Aluminum is not.  Hopefully, you got motor manual with the boat.  If not, you can find some great mechanics here who can help you with max rpms, etc...

Enjoy!!!!!! ~beer~