Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the best rod for buzzbaits  (Read 11088 times)

RyanD

• Smallmouth
the best rod for buzzbaits
« on: May 20, 2010, 10:18:34 PM »

im fishing alot of buzzbaits right now and i just want to no what you guys think is the best rod for this presentation,

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
  • Ultimate Bass Life Member / LSCR Club Member
Re: the best rod for buzzbaits
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 03:20:47 AM »

I use the Bass Pro Shops Tourney Special IM-7 Graphite Rods Trigger 7ft MH action
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax
G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat 2 Stroke Yamaha 25 outboard

OutdoorFrontiers

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
    • Owner - OutdoorFrontiers.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 06:46:57 AM »

I really like the American Rodsmith H3 Titanium pitching stick.  It's 6' 10", heavy action and really is well suited for not only pitching, but it can really sling a lure a long ways, but has plenty of backbone to set the hook once a fish does strike!

The fact that it's quality construction and good components make is a quality rod that not only fishes well, but will stand up to a little abuse and last a long time.

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 08:57:54 AM »

If your looking to buy be sure to check out site sponsors  :-*

If your just wondering what we use.... Well I like a medium to medium heavy 7 foot to 7-6 with a fast tip. The longer rod is better for getting a good long cast which I feel is important in fishing a buzz bait that way you can bring it by as many stumps, brush piles, grass points or what every your fishing in just one cast. The medium rod with a fast tip will help, I say help, in hook sets versus hook up ratio. A good buzz bait bite can be hard stopping and it's hard to wait to feel before setting the hook  ~roflmao

I use a 734C SH Dobyns Rod with a shimano Curado old greenie but I probably should go up to a E-7?
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 08:40:44 AM »

All my rods are older than dirt, so I can't give you a brand name, but I will agree with the 7 foot or longer rod.

If I was going to get a dual or multi purpose rod, I would go with a heavy rod with a fast tip, this allows for long casts, yet allows you to use it to pitch, into heavy cover.

If it was technique specific, then I would go with a MH for very stumpy areas where you need the horse power to pull em out of the junk quickly. If I was planning on putting braid on the rod, then I probably would go with an E-glass over another composit, although I can't explain why.

In more open water situations, a medium and braid combination is nice because the extra play in the rod helps slow down the hook set and flexes enough to help keep from throwing the hook.

Just about what MIke said, hmmmm, wonder how that happens so much?  ;D
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

coldfront

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 10:29:38 AM »

that 7 foot rod is pretty key...helps cast the bait a 'ways'...and keeps some of the line off the water...allowing better 'planing' and 'steerage' when needed...

I like the MH power rods...with a fast (not X-Fast) tip...needs some flex...and truth be told, I like the same action on my buzzbait rod as I do on my Deep Cranking rod...and I fish them much the same way:  wait for the fish to 'load' before I set the hook.

Lots of great rods out there that'll fill this bill...backbone, little bit of 'tip'...and length to the rod...the rest, as they say, is up to you...

As for rods, I have my preferences...and they're all pretty much mainstream...Shimano, Cabelas, St Croix etc (not leaving anyone out on purpose...)...

Now, if you do what I do:  use this rod for pitching/flipping as well...(I don't have space or $$ to keep 12 rods on my deck...)...the choices narrow a bit...but there are a LOT of rods out there and just about any quality manufacturer will have a good option...

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 09:47:24 PM »

I agree, a 7 ft MH fast tip rod is a good all around bass rod in my book. You can throw many different presentations exceptionally, and some more adequately, and a few more you can get by on.

Especially if you are limited on funds or space.

Throw a medium rod, and a heavy one in, and you can pretty much run most of the popular presentations out there.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Bassinkorea

• UB Nightshift
  • CM Chief Community Diplomat
  • UB for life - UB Life Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 10:25:58 PM »

I have a rod dedicated to buzzbaiting, and it is a Rapala Xcaliber 6'6" MH. A longer rod may be a little better, but I am tall and can keep the line out of the water well enough.

As a side note, I use a Revo SX-HS 7.1:1 reel with braided line.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 24 queries.