Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Braided line  (Read 4529 times)

buzzbait22

• Smallmouth
Braided line
« on: April 26, 2010, 07:46:21 PM »

I have never used braided line before and got some questions.  Can you fish just about everything in your tackle box with braided line?  I know its mostly used for fishing heavy cover.  I was wondering if you could fish everything with braided line, because of my wife's uncle who all he is fishes with is braided line on his spinning rods.  He doesn't used baitcasters which is all I got.  I fish mostly reservoirs and some lakes which none of them are clear.   

docav

• Ultimate Basser
    • http://dougcavin.com
Re: Braided line
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 08:05:54 PM »

IMO no would be the answer. i personally dont think one line, one rod action or one reel speed is the way to go. there are times it may work but overall i think you are better off using certain types of line for certain types of fishing. he is a break down of how i have some of my rods set up. doug

drop shot 6-8lb fluorocarbon
crankbaits 10-12lb fluorocarbon depending on depth
plastics 17lb fluorocarbon
flippin 17-20lb fluorocarbon but i did use 65lb braid this past weekend
square bill cranks 17lb ACT copolymer
topwater 17lb ACT copolymer
spinnerbaits 14lb ACT copolymer
shaky head 12lb fluorocarbon
swimbaits 20lb fluorocarbon
frogs and chatterbaits 65lb braid

tim4081

• Largemouth
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:56:52 PM »

Different lines work better for different types of lures/presentations.  There are alot of different opinions on what works best for what so I'll just give you what I use.   

I have braid on a couple of spinning reels for fishing shakey heads and weightless plastics (8lb fireline or 10lb. power pro)....although I'll switch to FC (I like InvisX and Berkley 100%)  for clear water or where abrasion is a concern.  I like Yozuri Hybrid 6 lb.for drop shotting.  I also use braid on baitcasters (Power Pro) for jigs and for flipping plastics.  I use Pline fluoroclear for cranks and jerkbaits (it sinks and is a bit more sensitive than mono) while mono gets used for spinnerbaits and top water.

Not saying my way is right its just what works best for me.  Experiment a little and I'm sure you'll find certain applications where braid works best for you.
Attitude predicts altitude.  How high will you fly?

Baron49

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:58:15 AM »

Everyone you talk with will have a different answer to this question.... lo

I use fused line on my spinning reels (Fireline) as it has a bit more memory then standard braid and stays on the spools with out unraveling.  Been using 10 lb for dropshotting with a fluoro leader, shaky head fishing I tie directly to the jig head, for working in and around boat docks and cover especially with skipping a bait will use 14 lb Fireline.

For fishing with baitcasting outfits with jigs, worms, beavers, creatures in clear water have found 30 lb Power Pro  (8 lb diameter) works very well and have seen no loss of strikes,  in fact due to the greater sensitivity have had a remarkable increase in hook ups.  In thick vegetation like hydrilla and milfoil I move up to 50 lb Power Pro (12 lb diameter) and for the really nasty thick stuff will go to 65 lb Power Pro (17 lb diameter).  For buzzfrogs and floating frogs braid is the only way to go.  On spinnerbaits, swimming jigs, and chatterbaits started using braided line and again found better hooksets and more landed fish.

Have been experimenting with braided line for crank baits and still not sure that it works better then good old co-poly.  I do like braided or fused line when fishing a jerk bait and have found with soft swimbaits braided line excels with better hooksets when fishing 4.5 to 8 inch hollow body baits with large 6/0 to 8/0 single point swimbait hooks.

Right now all I use mono for is topwater, shallow running crankbaits and 17 lb Berkley XT when fishing hard swimbaits.

This is just a brief summary and only one man's opinion.  Try some braid, experiment and see what works for you.

Alex D

• Smallmouth
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:44:11 AM »

Here's my breakdown:
mono -
swimbaits, spinnerbaits

Flouro -
dropshot, crankbaits, worms, jigs

Braid -
topwater (including frogs), sometimes a CRig mainline, flip/pitch, heavy grass applications, lily pads

Creel Limit Zero

• Life Member
  • Go Terps!
    • Evinrude
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 12:55:28 PM »

yeah, there are a ton of answers to this, a lot of it has to do with your confidence you have in the line too.

Mono - throw that stuff out...   ~roflmao

copolymer - topwater, spinnerbaits, traps

fluoro -
dropshot, cranks, deep jigging and deep T-rig

Braid -
Frogs, punching, heavy cover jigging and plastics.  C-Rig, except for leader.
Reservoir Boat Works      Anglers Express               Evinrude

Joshawa

• Ultimate Basser
  • Zinc Saucier
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 02:01:32 PM »

Since I fish a lot of stained water I have stayed away from Fluoro for the most part. I use it on my Walleye rig and tie leaders when I need to. Most of the time I use either heavy braid (50 lb PP for Senkos and Shocks and 65 lb PP for Jigs) or light braid (10 lb Suffix Braid for Shaky Head and drop-shot), this is something new I am trying this year.
-Josh

**2009 UB Fantasy Baseball Champ**

stratos bandit

• Largemouth
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 05:05:47 PM »

My answer is yes, you can fish anything with braided line.......however, it is not the best choice for all baits and water clarity/conditions.

buzzbait22

• Smallmouth
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 06:41:09 PM »

Guys thanks for the info.  As you can tell that I don't get to bass fish alot like I want too.  I still call myself a newbie.  Im defently loaded with questions.

RoLo

• Smallmouth
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 09:25:42 PM »

Can you fish just about everything in your tackle box with braided line?

In my opinion...Yes.
I've spent most of my fishing years using monofilament line (nylon & copolymer).
Today however, all my spinning reels are spooled with 'Berkley Fireline Braid'.
I really like the fine diameter of braid, the fact that it has virtually no memory (limp)
and is essentially non-stretch. We use braid for throwing everything from unweighted soft-plastics
wieghing under 1/8oz to swimbaits weighing over an ounce.

Roger

It's not about WHO is right, it's all about WHAT is right ;-)

coldfront

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 10:44:34 PM »

This is just a brief summary and only one man's opinion.  Try some braid, experiment and see what works for you.

and one more guy's opinion:  each line type has characteristics that are 'good' or 'not so good' depending upon the application you use it for...

Mono is least dense, tends to float...and has 'stretch'...that stretch can be 'bad' on long casts when trying to get positive hook sets...but 'good' in some applications where that stretch can actually act as a positive shock absorber...

Braid also floats...and has the highest visibility and least stretch (no stretch)...

Flouro is more dense, tends to sink, has some stretch and typically is way more abrasion resistant than mono...

Each of these lines, when paired with various rod lengths/actions works 'better' or 'worse'...

I know guys who fish braid for everything and 'on' everything...they do quite well.  It can be done...but there are probably better 'tools' for certain applications...

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 09:54:25 AM »

I agree that you can't fish every presentation with one line, but ......

All but a few of my reels have Braid and I use 6 or 7 feet of what every particular line I want to use as a leader.

I don't fish bass like I used to, so now I just use braid for the salt water fishin I do.

There are some advantages and disadvantages to what I did.

One of the advantages was that I could do just about any presentation I wanted with fewer rods, a Medium power, MH power, and H power in about 7 foot or so just about covered every presentation I did, I just changed the leader.

It was cheeper in the long run, because braid is very durable and lasts a long time, thus there was less replacement cost. When using leaders, the cost of using expensive lines was less because the amount you used was much less than spooling a while reel, and thus a spool lasted longer.

The biggest disadvantage is that added knot, it can become a weak link, especially if you don't keep an eye on it. Some lines that I used as leader material would be cut by the braid in the knot after a while, so you had to retye the leader knot once in a while.

And there are times I didn't use any kind of leader, just straight braid with no negative effect. I used barid in Florida where most of the water was stained, with a once in a while crystal clear lake or salt flat, and didn't find any negative result.

Sorry for gettin so wordy, but in short, heck yea you can fish braid for just about everything.  ~shade
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

RoLo

• Smallmouth
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 04:54:43 PM »

And there are times I didn't use any kind of leader, just straight braid with no negative effect. I used barid in Florida where most of the water was stained, with a once in a while crystal clear lake or salt flat, and didn't find any negative result.

"Ditto"

I stopped using a leader several years back and tie everything direct to braided line
without any noticeable decline in strikes. When you think about it, bass show little fear of rattleboxes,
revolving blades, guady bristleguards and big treble hooks, so it doesn't seem likely that they should be intimidated
by the sight of a fine filament  :)

Roger
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 04:58:50 PM by RoLo »
It's not about WHO is right, it's all about WHAT is right ;-)

Brandon_Shook

• Smallmouth
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 10:37:12 AM »

I only use braid on heavy cover situations or on a spinning rod for skipping docks.

It's great when you're punching jigs in through vegetation and such, but I don't like the no-stretch factor when fishing my everyday applications. The fact that mono will give me a little bit of a margin for error is worth it to me, so I use it most of the time.

www.strikeworks.com - Use my initials as a coupon code and get 10% off and free shipping!
www.joniandfriends.org

Broskee

• Ultimate Basser
  • Never Give Up
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 03:33:10 PM »

here is something for you, I went fishing yesterday and I hooked up on one. I was using braid on my top water buzz-bait and he got me inline with an old double dock post wrapped it up and I knew that he would still be on cuz the 20lb braid i was using is nearly indestructible. just unwrapped it and pulled him up :D!!

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 07:01:33 PM »

here is something for you, I went fishing yesterday and I hooked up on one. I was using braid on my top water buzz-bait and he got me inline with an old double dock post wrapped it up and I knew that he would still be on cuz the 20lb braid i was using is nearly indestructible. just unwrapped it and pulled him up :D!!

Thats one good thing about braids, but on the other hand, I hooked a 40 something  inch snook with 20 lb Dacron laced braid, and they are notorious of using docks to wrap you up, the barnacles tore that braid to rags. Add 10 or 15 feet of 40 lb floro or good mono leader and he ain't going anywhere.  ;)
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

OutdoorFrontiers

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
    • Owner - OutdoorFrontiers.com
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 07:14:02 PM »

You've already gotten a ton of opinions on the suitability of braid in all conditions so I'll add mine to the mix.

I fish braided line on virtually all of my rods with the exception of a couple ultralight spinning rods that I use for slip bobbering crappie and walleye.  Then I use mono for that.  But I don't like mono at all.

I use 8 or 10 lb. braid on my spinning tackle, 30 lb. braid on my medium duty baitcasting tackle and 50 lb. on my heavy bass baitcasters.  In all instances, I tie directly to the lure and haven't experienced any decrease in my fish catching.

I think braid offers WAY more advantages to mono, co-polymers and flourocarbon lines.  

First of all, there's the whole stretch issue.  Braid is just about "no-stretch" where all the other lines will stretch to amazing lengths before breaking.  While some people like this, I think it interferes with detecting strikes (braid is far more sensitive) and also hooksets.

There's the whole line diameter issue as well.  My 10 lb. braid is about the same diameter as 1 lb. diameter mono.  50 lb. braid is equivilent in diameter to 12 lb. line.  The braided line allows crankbaits and spinnerbaits to run deeper, and I can fish a lighter jig and still maintain contact with the bottom.

Braided line floats too.  I like that because it slows the fall on my wacky rigged stick baits, allowing them a super slow, tantalizing fall that is just the ticket under tough conditions.

The only thing that is a problem is the abrasion resistance if you're fishing in rocks.  Braid just doesn't hold up well in those situations, but it's easy to remedy with a 10 ft. leader of flourocarbon.

I've used braided line from Florida to northern Quebec, in water where I couldn't see down 6 inches, and in water where you could just about read the headline from a newspaper in 20 feet!  Fish don't seem to mind that I've tied directly, so I don't any longer.  I've caught lake trout, brook trout, walleye, sauger, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, spotted bass, perch, crappie, northern pike, muskie and just about everything else, including redfish on braided line.

But you might not have the confidence in the line, so then tie on a mono or flouro leader..

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

Broskee

• Ultimate Basser
  • Never Give Up
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 09:15:33 PM »

Thats one good thing about braids, but on the other hand, I hooked a 40 something  inch snook with 20 lb Dacron laced braid, and they are notorious of using docks to wrap you up, the barnacles tore that braid to rags. Add 10 or 15 feet of 40 lb floro or good mono leader and he ain't going anywhere.  ;)
Well for freshwater that doesn't have barnicles braid is the bomb aside from my other lines of flouro and mono. I use my braid for floating baits like topwater and my flouro for flipping and mono for plastics and such. I am from florida and all o use to do is use braid with leaders for reds. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 24 queries.