Iaconelli

Started by RichmondVa, February 20, 2010, 10:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichmondVa

I have noticed that Ike has a couple of different sponsors.  He's using Garcia reels and a new rod manufacturer.  Does anyone know who makes the rod he is using?

Homerthumper

I thought Ike was sponsored by Daiwa?
Enjoying God's creation!!!

-Shawn-

He changed to ABU this year.

RichmondVa

Any info on those new rods?  I haven't seen them out on the market.  They are a pearl color w/black wraps and black foam split grips. 

J B

Quote from: RichmondVa on February 20, 2010, 11:27:01 AM
Any info on those new rods?  I haven't seen them out on the market.  They are a pearl color w/black wraps and black foam split grips. 
They are Abu Garcia Veritas they will be out in September and will sell for $99.95.They are BMW white very nice rods.My friend was sent 9 of them.Only a few of the ABU Garcia pro staffers have them for now.

Tritonrob

Ike was sponsored by Diawa till this year.  He signed exclusively with Pure Fishing which ABU Garcia is one of the companies. 

Joshawa

September seems like an odd time to release the rods. I want to give one a shot but I'm not going to wait until the season is almost over.
-Josh

**2009 UB Fantasy Baseball Champ**

RichmondVa

Thanks for the info.  The local tackle shop here usually gets sample product a little earlier than most.  I'll keep an eye out for it.

clarker2000

Forgot where but I just reading about it last night.  Go to tacklewarehouse and the find abu garcia or some of the other rods.  Then click on review and it takes you to a takle review site. It give a very good review to those.  Abu Garcia is the brand and they are supposed to be cheap $$$$. 
Owner/Sales/Installer at www.Reservoirboatworks.com

Tritonrob

Was one another website and they mentioned they are suppose to retail for around 100.00 bucks

CraigP83

He wasn't using those white rods on day 3 of the classic.

Joshawa

Quote from: CraigP83 on February 24, 2010, 01:20:51 PM
He wasn't using those white rods on day 3 of the classic.

I just went back and checked the tape. He still had about 5-6 of them on his deck. But when he was throwing the lipless crank he had a Revo winch on a black and yellow rod.
-Josh

BKBASSER

Thats a Fenwick Elite Crank Bait rod, ( oh my , he used a rod not from his sponsor, at least its another Pure Fishing Company)and you guys are getting all worked up because some pro is using a rod,now you are convinced that your game will improve using the same rods and baits as all the other pros. It's all a gimmick, the whole thing to sell equipment,.The sooner you realize that , the sonner those other guys will have to work for a living like you fellas. I aint a hata of anyone in particular just the whole BASS/FLW crap to pick everyones pockets. NOT MINE!!!!!!!!!!!! ~rant
If it involves more than drinking coffee and fishing, I aint interested.

Joshawa

Who's getting worked up? People are curious because they haven't seen the rod yet, the fact that it is going to be at the $100 price point has sparked some interest. I wouldn't consider making a decent rod at an affordable price a "gimmick".
-Josh

NMFishFinder

I agree, no gimmick, what I think is neat is that a pro is using a rod that everyone can afford. I also think that BASS and FLW are as real a job as most, they had the talent and chose to go into a career of fishing, some play football, some are docs, some work in the factory. It is the way the world works.

Johnny A

If you want some first hand information on the rod, I'll be more than happy to help.  I also have a post on the rod forum with a quick sketch review.

BKBASSER

Quote from: Joshawa on February 24, 2010, 04:40:03 PM
Who's getting worked up? People are curious because they haven't seen the rod yet, the fact that it is going to be at the $100 price point has sparked some interest. I wouldn't consider making a decent rod at an affordable price a "gimmick".

The rod you all are asking about, that Iconelli was using is a Fenwick Elite Crank rod, its the one in the picture originally that I saw, it was not an ABU rod, the 2 color rod was a Fenwick and yes there is a feeding frenzy starting over the yet to be released rod.Check out the 4 or 5 top forums they are all abuzz about the upcoming Verat How ever its spelled. I have nothing against ABU , they are the only bait casters I use, Iconelli has them, because he is being paid to Carry and use them, look how folks are salivating, good move on Pure Fishing, getting him exclusively. Just because he uses them does not man it will make nay of us better fishermen.Thats is where the gimmick and herd mentality come into view
I would rather be the wolf than a deer in a herd

pawpaw

Quote from: NMFishFinder on February 24, 2010, 05:19:16 PM
I agree, no gimmick, what I think is neat is that a pro is using a rod that everyone can afford. I also think that BASS and FLW are as real a job as most, they had the talent and chose to go into a career of fishing, some play football, some are docs, some work in the factory. It is the way the world works.
I have never been around many of the pros, but I did see Ron Sheffield on Rayburn one time. It was raining cats and dogs with lightning and he was launching his boat by himself. Not a whole lot of working people have to work in these conditions. This was during the practice period for a BASS tournament.
I don't mind not knowing all the answers, but I keep forgeting the danged questions.

Joshawa

I wasn't talking about the top 5 other forums you visit, I was talking about this one...this post in particular. I understand that you have a distaste for the way companies use pros to sell their wares and I understand that you don't buy into any of it, you have made that abundantly clear on multiple occasions.  

I'm sure you will be hard pressed to find someone on this site that thinks just because a pro uses a product, it will make them a better angler. The fact that the rod costs under $100 is a big deal to a lot of people, because Joe Weekender can afford one.
-Josh

BKBASSER

Let me introduce myself,I am Cheap Azz  Dominick, except for one rod, a guy wrapped as a present for me ( I dont have that kind of money) Here is my arsenal;
;4 of the new Cabelas Pro Guides at 40 per rod

one discontinued Fenwick HMX, from Gander on Clearance for 32 bucks

I know the restrictions of limited funds thank you ::)

You dont think that folks see the pros and think if they would use the same equipment then you dont get the whole Bass/FLW merchandising schemes, Ray Scott was a savvy business man,. taught these walking billboards a lot , before he sold it . If you think I am lying check out the sales for lipless crank baits , thats what the pros who won used correct??? There is even one company matching or featuring the exact color.Save that for someone who doesn't know the playing field,  :-X

Johnny A

Quote from: BKBASSER on February 24, 2010, 06:27:58 PM
Let me introduce myself,I am Cheap Azz  Dominick, except for one rod, a guy wrapped as a present for me ( I dont have that kind of money) Here is my arsenal;
;4 of the new Cabelas Pro Guides at 40 per rod

one discontinued Fenwick HMX, from Gander on Clearance for 32 bucks

I know the restrictions of limited funds thank you ::)

You dont think that folks see the pros and think if they would use the same equipment then you dont get the whole Bass/FLW merchandising schemes, Ray Scott was a savvy business man,. taught these walking billboards a lot , before he sold it . If you think I am lying check out the sales for lipless crank baits , thats what the pros who won used correct??? There is even one company matching or featuring the exact color.Save that for someone who doesn't know the playing field,  :-X

I don't find the Ray Scott thing amazing as far as bass fishing goes but how did he get tennis players, NASCAR dudes, etc., etc., to wear patches on their clothes?

BKBASSER

Gee I never said he helped all those other sports. I would write, you are a writer, to NASCAR, NBA care of Stern's Office, PGA and you might even try Selig over at MLB, they may be able to give you insight on how they structured their sales pitchers ;D
As for Scott: I am almost 60 years old, I watched him take a weekend sport of some fellas wagering on who could catch the biggest fish, into a multi million dollar merchandising machine. While I abhor this type of corporate sales BS, i am in awe that he seized the moment and now the formula for letting the winners sell the products still works today,. many decades after< I dont know if this is a testimony to him or it just says something about the gullibility of the masses.

BKBASSER

HA!! Look to the right>>>KVD Tested and approved Hooks, how timely as they say in Brooklyn    CASE CLOSED MOOKS,,,perfect ~b~

rgroadglide

I like all the discussion, I am just worried that he will scare away all the fish for the others fishing around him. Maybe that is his strategy.

denis

You know what sucks about the rod pricing?  One of the most expensive rods 450+ is listed at 150ish for the second level pro staffers.  SO they are still making $$ on it just not as much.  One of the most expensive reels out there is about 80 bucks to the higher level but not paid to fish guys.

Kinda makes you wonder what they 100 or less rods cost, when you factor in that most of those places say send in 25-50 bucks and get a new one when you break it