The Bench ongoing thread

Started by bigjack, March 21, 2010, 07:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjack

For one of my longtime clients that is giving it as a wedding gift. I did an almost identical layout with UM colors for him a while back

SiC Micro guides
Split EVA grip
No Fore
Barber pole fore wrap
G-style Rear

all I did today was seat everything I need to epoxy the CKW and ad the ramps and do the G-Grip
187 In Progress Rods
Team 187 In Progress
Big Hammer Swimbaits
North Fork Composites
Bullard Int
Team Strike Eagles

bigjack

god ol' fashion hurry up and wait because I have ran out of color preserver so production is at a stand still
187 In Progress Rods
Team 187 In Progress
Big Hammer Swimbaits
North Fork Composites
Bullard Int
Team Strike Eagles

bigjack

I made a design for a weave today.

Salt water style Swimbait I refined it and came out with a 21X81 weave that I can alter to get any color pattern

187 In Progress Rods
Team 187 In Progress
Big Hammer Swimbaits
North Fork Composites
Bullard Int
Team Strike Eagles

bassindude

Well, I finished the wrapping phase, all thats left is the rod finish.  Those decorative but wraps are a lot harder than i realized.  After reading a few pages, I was lost.  So i just started winding on thread in a basic diamond pattern.  I learned a few things about spacing, and ill be able to carry that over to the next rod, but this being my first, im pretty proud of it.  It is really difficult to take pictures of a rod, something I never thought about until I did it.  Here they are.

Jim ><///'>><///'>

bigjack

nice thread work.

I epoxied the Tiger wrap but since it is so cold the darn epoxy is taking forever to dry.
187 In Progress Rods
Team 187 In Progress
Big Hammer Swimbaits
North Fork Composites
Bullard Int
Team Strike Eagles

bigjack

some new stuff for Team 187 which is one of the 2 teams I fish on

ACID WRAPED Shikarii 700 with a ckw, weave and a tiger

Then I received this shipment with 20 assorted North Fork Composite blanks that were donated to the North Broward Prep Fishing Team from Gary Loomis and his company.

I wrapped a seeker cjbf70H for a guy who's son is returning from Iraq with shrapnel
here is when I was working on the CKW for it

[attachment outdated - deleted by admin]
187 In Progress Rods
Team 187 In Progress
Big Hammer Swimbaits
North Fork Composites
Bullard Int
Team Strike Eagles

Dug

Nice work Jack.  What is the book you are using for reference??  Thanks!

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

biglunkerberry

big jack you do spiral guides? if so how much for a rod to be done?

bigjack

Quote from: Dug on May 08, 2010, 08:13:00 AM
Nice work Jack.  What is the book you are using for reference??  Thanks!

Dug

Dug I do not own any of the books, I learned at one of the Southern California tackleshops and I have gone on by myself from there.

more pics to come tonight or tomorrow.
187 In Progress Rods
Team 187 In Progress
Big Hammer Swimbaits
North Fork Composites
Bullard Int
Team Strike Eagles

bigjack

some more stuff for team "187" and for "just snookin"

187 In Progress Rods
Team 187 In Progress
Big Hammer Swimbaits
North Fork Composites
Bullard Int
Team Strike Eagles

Dug

Quote from: bigjack on May 13, 2010, 08:55:55 AM
Dug I do not own any of the books, I learned at one of the Southern California tackleshops and I have gone on by myself from there.

more pics to come tonight or tomorrow.

Jack there is a book open in the 4th post from the top.  That is what I was asking about.

Nice work on that last one

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

bassindude

I believe that was my post. The book is from Dale Clemens, "Advanced Custom Rod Building"  His first book, the one with the beginer stuff was called something like Fiberglass rod building, Not real certain of the name, but it had Fiberglass in the title.  If you google his name Im sure you will find them all.   Hope this helps.  It is Quite fun building them, but it is quite a bit of work.  The one main thing I learned from my first rod, and something I gleened form Dale's book was that the generic guide spacing is not very accurate.  When I first taped my guides on with the recomended spacing, and then added the reel and did the testing, The line rubbed aginst the blank in several places.  By following the guidelines from the book, I was able to eliminate that problem, and create a rod that I feel deserves the title Custom.
Jim ><///'>><///'>

Dug

Quote from: bassindude on May 28, 2010, 10:37:42 AM
I believe that was my post. The book is from Dale Clemens, "Advanced Custom Rod Building"  His first book, the one with the beginer stuff was called something like Fiberglass rod building, Not real certain of the name, but it had Fiberglass in the title.  If you google his name Im sure you will find them all.   Hope this helps.  It is Quite fun building them, but it is quite a bit of work.  The one main thing I learned from my first rod, and something I gleened form Dale's book was that the generic guide spacing is not very accurate.  When I first taped my guides on with the recomended spacing, and then added the reel and did the testing, The line rubbed aginst the blank in several places.  By following the guidelines from the book, I was able to eliminate that problem, and create a rod that I feel deserves the title Custom.

Oh yeah sorry about that, it was  your post. Thanks!!

Dug

bigjack

here is a st johns cross I will close in the morning, it is my first true Diamond
187 In Progress Rods
Team 187 In Progress
Big Hammer Swimbaits
North Fork Composites
Bullard Int
Team Strike Eagles

bigjack

187 In Progress Rods
Team 187 In Progress
Big Hammer Swimbaits
North Fork Composites
Bullard Int
Team Strike Eagles

bassindude

That is SWEEEET!   Nice thread work.
Jim ><///'>><///'>

bigjack

not much wrapping lately I went on an 8 day fishing trip and was the best man for my dad today so sometimes there are more important things then all of this fishing stuff.
187 In Progress Rods
Team 187 In Progress
Big Hammer Swimbaits
North Fork Composites
Bullard Int
Team Strike Eagles

bigjack

Summer is just about over and I have had a great break from rod building, but I am back in the saddle to work on about 5 rods in the next week more to come.
187 In Progress Rods
Team 187 In Progress
Big Hammer Swimbaits
North Fork Composites
Bullard Int
Team Strike Eagles

GermanKnight

You are very talented. I love your butt wraps. I plan on doing something similar to my casting rods.

Im spiral wrapping em, and will be doing a little less bling to my spinner rods, just going for a nice smooth rod with those. again you are talented at weaving and wrapping.

Wish you were close, we could have a shop get together or something and chill.

Cya buddy

-Big Al
Denali custom rods.

bigjack

Right on Al I cannot wait to see some of your work. I am just finishing a diamond that is going to be my best to date it should be done tonight or tomorrow.
187 In Progress Rods
Team 187 In Progress
Big Hammer Swimbaits
North Fork Composites
Bullard Int
Team Strike Eagles

GermanKnight

Quote from: bigjack on August 14, 2010, 01:44:54 PM
Right on Al I cannot wait to see some of your work. I am just finishing a diamond that is going to be my best to date it should be done tonight or tomorrow.

you know where to find me, i am there more often than not.

you seem very very cool. I need a building partner haha

What blanks do you like, i am getting some lamiglass, and batson rx8's
Denali custom rods.

bigjack

that is a question I cannot answer because I am sponsored by North Fork Composites, but if you liked Gray Loomis's old stuff you will love the new blanks
187 In Progress Rods
Team 187 In Progress
Big Hammer Swimbaits
North Fork Composites
Bullard Int
Team Strike Eagles

bigjack

I got asked if I could do a Stars and Bars cross wrap so I toyed around and came up with one that works this is one I did to test is and I liked how it came out so it is going to stay I closed it tonight so these pics are before it was burnished or closed
187 In Progress Rods
Team 187 In Progress
Big Hammer Swimbaits
North Fork Composites
Bullard Int
Team Strike Eagles

bigjack

and a CKW vid to top the night off

187 In Progress Rods
Team 187 In Progress
Big Hammer Swimbaits
North Fork Composites
Bullard Int
Team Strike Eagles

JMGullo

Bigjack I love the stars and bars!!! What would something like that cost?? Do u build rods for anyone??