6'8" Medium extra fast- What is this rod ideal for?

Started by Paul S, April 11, 2010, 09:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul S

I have an Avid in this action.  What is this rod perfect for?  Thanks for your opinion. 

garland7

Not sure on the extra fast part, but sounds like a good rod for shallow running crankbits, or some topwater jerkbaits
garland7

Baron49

Have this exact Avid spinning rod and use it for shaky head fishing.  Have also used it for fishing a drop shot when having two rigged drop shot rods were needed.

Camden

I have to agree with baron. drop shots or shakey heads would be great on this rod

coldfront

soft plastics with light wire hooks...

swim jigs?

Pferox

I am not privy to that particular rod, but based on the description I would use it for.........

Light stuff, it is very close to an ultra light rod with the extra backbone.

If it is a baitcaster I would be thinking about a reel that had a very good free spool, and using it for 1/4 oz and under lures of various kinds.

If its a spinning rod, look out, that thing could almost cast a bare thin wire hook by itself. (Almost)
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Mike Cork

Not sure if it is a bait caster or spinning rod ? If it's a spinning rod I like the suggestions given so far. If it's a bait caster I'd go with shallow cranks (less than 5 ft) or it would probably make a great small topwater rod like topedo's and pop r's or a jerkbait rod. I don't think it would have enough strength to be a senko or fluke rod. Simply going by the action given.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Alex D

I personally like it for smaller topwaters - I love a Gunfish 95 on it. It works great for a #5 shad rap and drop shot. It would also work for small jerkbaits - like a 65 size.

Paul S

Thanks for the advice.  I forgot to mention that it is a casting rod.  From the sound of everyone it confirms what I had already thought- it is a versatile light action rod.  I've used it for shallow cranks, topwater, and swim jigs in the past.  I have read a lot of people recommend it for open-water senko fishing.