Started by David_Cooksey, June 02, 2010, 06:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David_Cooksey

Can some one please post a list of which Bait Casting Reels
use this system.

Sincerely
David Cooksey

Baron49

Abu Garcia............Revo S, C3, C4, and most of their other round reels, some of the Revo series have both magnetic and centrifugal.

X17xpress

I believe the Bass Pro Shop Johnny Morris reels have the dual braking system also

Pro Reel

That would be a very long list. Most if not all Shimano reels use a 6 pin centrifugal brake. Most if not all round reels from all the major companies use either a 2 pin or a 6 pin centrifugal brake. The revo S uses a 6pin and a some of the early Skeet Reece revos used a 6 pin. The Revo Winch uses a 6 pin. I think that all the other Revo reels used a magnetic brake. The 2010 STX uses both magnets and centrifugal. Many if not most Daiwa reels use a magnetic brake. If it has an external dial, odds are it is either a mag brake or a dual mag and centrifugal.

David_Cooksey

I am looking for a reel that has a 3 BRAKE breaking system

PRESSURE on the SPOOL, MAGNETIC &  CENTAFUGICAL
all on the same reel w/ a 6 pin set up that may be accessed
to adjust the weights.

David Cooksey

islandbass

Quote from: David_Cooksey on June 03, 2010, 10:30:02 AM
I am looking for a reel that has a 3 BRAKE breaking system

PRESSURE on the SPOOL, MAGNETIC &  CENTAFUGICAL
all on the same reel w/ a 6 pin set up that may be accessed
to adjust the weights.

David Cooksey

All casting reels should have your first wish, the pressure on the spool, if I am not mistaken is called your cast control knob. From that point forward, reels will have
1) Exclusively Centrifugal
2) Exclusive Magnetic
3) A Combination of Both

All centrifugal brake systems are accessible but I can't think of one that does not require to open up one side of the reel.  It appears your choices are in front of you.
ARX - IB's Daughter on BC Reels:
"Papi! I like this reel. It is so much easier to use than the other one (the spinning reel) and it is more fun to use too." Now all I can say to that is this;
"That's my little girl!"

Pro Reel

David is correct. All casting reels have the spool tension adjustment. It is not a brake. It does nothing to slow the spool during the cast. It simply sets the tension of the spool shaft which will let it spin completely free or under tension. The more tension, the more force required to make it spin. Lots of users believe that it's a brake but it isn't. Brakes, either centrifugal or magnetic slows the spool down after the cast starts. Centrifugal brakes apply most of there resistance to the start of the cast, which is where most people will get backlash's. Mag brakes have more braking power towards the end of the cast which is where you will get overrun as the lure slows before the spool does or when it lands and the spool is still spinning. A dual brake system combines both and can be set for virtually thumb free casting. The new 2010 Revo STX has a dual brake. Several BPS reels also have them. The newest Pro Qualifier has dual brakes. A good friend of mine bought 2 of the Pro qualifiers and loves them so much he is selling his Revo SX and his Quantum KVD burner so that he can buy more Pro Qualifiers. I have used his and it casts great, feels very nice to use and it is well built. My only complaint would be that it could use better spool tension washers and a better drag system. The good news is that those parts can be switched out with revo parts for less than 10 bucks. He plans to have me do that at the end of the season. I can't remember for sure which model, but I know I worked on a Pfluger that had dual brakes. I think it was the president, but I'm not sure.

DBrooke

Quote from: Pro Reel on June 03, 2010, 09:46:17 AM
Most if not all Shimano reels use a 6 pin centrifugal brake.

Hmmm I think I'm only using 2 of them on my Curado though  lo
This section under construction.

David_Cooksey

I am looking for a Low Profile bait caster which has all 3 types
of pressure sensors to stop a BACKLASH

Pro Reel

I already listed some. All low profile reels come with the tension cap. The 2010 model of the Revo STX has the tension cap plus dual mag and centrifugal brakes, so does the Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier. If the reel is advertised as having a dual brake system, that means it has mags and centrifugal brakes. It will also have a tension cap. Maybe you could tell us if there is a quality level price range you are looking at and also if there are certain brands you are intereted in? That would make it easier to help you find one in that range and brand. Lots of reels have come out this last year with what you are looking for. The 2010 STX is about $200 in stores and $180 from ebay dealers. The BPS Pro Qualifier is $100 at Bass Pro Shops. I know there are some quantum reels tah have a similar system, but I have not been impresed with the way it was designed, but thats just my opinion. The ones I listed are very easy to access the pins and to click them between on and off so that you can set one or six or anything between, then the mag dial can be adjusted externaly to fine tune the end of the cast. The tension knob should be set to the weight of the bait while the mag dial is at zero.

Baron49

Quote from: David_Cooksey on June 04, 2010, 02:01:43 PM
I am looking for a Low Profile bait caster which has all 3 types
of pressure sensors to stop a BACKLASH

There is no reel made that will stop backlashes 100% of the time but there is something you can use that is very close.  Your THUMB!  :shocking:  Spool a reel up with some cheap mono, get a practice plug and head to your back yard and start practicing.  I learned how to baitcast with old "KNUCKLE BUSTERS"  These reels had no cast controls or brakes, all you used was your thumb.  There is no replacement for taking the time to practice.