Best Rod Brand?

Started by LAFisherman, June 14, 2010, 10:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAFisherman

Just want to get an opinion on everyone's favorite rod.  Feel free to give a little info or explanation of why you like it so much.

Good luck fishin!  ~beer~
Flippin & Pitchin

LAFisherman

I am going to just go ahead and start it.  I fished with a G Loomis one time and that is all it took for me.  The sensitivity it had was immaculate! I swear it felt like I could feel every single little rock or small branch on the bottom.
Flippin & Pitchin

Donald Garner

I like the BPS Tourney Special IM-7 Graphite Rods Trigger Sticks.

I have several of them and find them to be durable and for the price IMO you can't beat it.

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Camden

ive used alot of rods but for price and overall performance i have to go with. and i'll proly be the only one lo
Berkley amp and lightning

ex301p

I am a G.Loomis guy also. Light weight, sensitive, strong and balance well with my Quantum reels.

The Standard Quantum Tour PT rods I also like a lot, along with the Powell Max casting and Lamiglas Certified Pro rods, but the Loomis rods I own are my favorite for most situations.

NateG

I go with BPS extreme spinning and Skeet's Tessera's for baitcasting

LAFisherman

Quote from: Camden on June 15, 2010, 10:12:31 AM
ive used alot of rods but for price and overall performance i have to go with. and i'll proly be the only one lo
Berkley amp and lightning

I have a couple of the lightning rods and they're great!
Flippin & Pitchin

rjn cajun

I know I will be the only one with this one :) I have three excelon lci A top water a crankin and a jerk bait. Gary Loomis was partners with them before he started g-loomis. Oldy but goodie. Haven`t found any like them I can feel everything with those rods.
The harbor looks much better after you have made it through a rough storm.

Mike Cork

Wow what a question and there are bound to be lots of great rods brought up. I was a huge shimano fan, used nothing but crucial and cumara but when Dobyns approached us about their line of rods OMG they blew the sensitivity and fit away. I am still a shimano fan and for the price they are a good quality rod but to step up the game the Dobyns are the way to go. Paired with just about any reel they balance well, I use only shimano reels but have been told the quantum stuff balances well also.

Now I know you all are shaking your heads because they are a site sponsor and "Cork" has to say this but I tell you what, I fish with 17 rods in the boat and I am in the process of converting every one of them to the Dobyns line (gonna take a little bit lo).

These are the lightest, most sensitive, and strongest rods I have used so far and I have used a bunch (been around to many years  lo getting old sucks, but you get to fish more)

Keep the posts coming  :-*
I can use this thread to start inuting rods into the review system.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

pawpaw

I voted other, I use mostly BPS rods of various types. But I really don't see how you can have one rod best for everybody and everything.
I don't mind not knowing all the answers, but I keep forgeting the danged questions.

Camden

Quote from: LAFisherman on June 15, 2010, 10:56:50 AM
I have a couple of the lightning rods and they're great!

I was really surprised with these two lines from berkley.

Pro Reel

I picked Falcon. I'm a loyal Falcon rods user. i own a few off brands and some old lightning rods that I use for other species and the kids use them, but all my main rigs are Falcon. I have some Originals, some Lowriders, and some cara's. They are not the lightest rods available but they are very sensitive and durable. I have not tried the expert series, but I hear they are lighter and also, none of mine are split grips so that makes a little difference also. Most Falcon rods are built in the USA in Broken bow OK. They have the cheaper line of the Bucoo and the HD built oversea's. I bought my first Falcon rod 25 years ago and still use it today. One reason I remain a loyal customer is that Falcon sponsor's a Falcon rods owners tournament every year at Grand lake in Oklahoma. It's a great tourney for the average Joe or the seasoned tourney guy. The entry is $200 for a 2 person team and with the entry you get 2 falcon rods and a sack full of tackle from the other sponsors. It has good payouts with top place around $5000 and paying down to 35 places and then in increments of 5 down to 160 places. Even if you don't catch a fish, every team will be entered in some great prize drawings after the weigh in for anything from $1000 cash to the new 17 ft Triton. As long as they keep doing this, I will keep fishing it and keep using falcon rods. And one day they will draw my number and I will be fishing out of my new triton. ha ha 

ex301p

Quote from: Mike Cork on June 15, 2010, 11:22:54 AM
Wow what a question and there are bound to be lots of great rods brought up. I was a huge shimano fan, used nothing but crucial and cumara but when Dobyns approached us about their line of rods OMG they blew the sensitivity and fit away. I am still a shimano fan and for the price they are a good quality rod but to step up the game the Dobyns are the way to go. Paired with just about any reel they balance well, I use only shimano reels but have been told the quantum stuff balances well also.

Now I know you all are shaking your heads because they are a site sponsor and "Cork" has to say this but I tell you what, I fish with 17 rods in the boat and I am in the process of converting every one of them to the Dobyns line (gonna take a little bit lo).

These are the lightest, most sensitive, and strongest rods I have used so far and I have used a bunch (been around to many years  lo getting old sucks, but you get to fish more)

Keep the posts coming  :-*
I can use this thread to start inuting rods into the review system.

Hey Mike, wondering if you could do a caparison between the Dobyns and the Loomis IMX. There has been a lot of talk about the Dobyns over the last couple of years that has sparked my interest, but as usual when it comes to high quality rods, no one around here carry's them in stock to check out.  Thanks

Oh yeah, and which model Dobyns are you going with?

Baron49

I voted "other" as for me there is not one rod company that makes all the rods to do all the jobs I require.

St. Croix Avids are a favorite for light weight balanced rods in the 6 1/2  to 7' M to MH category.

St. Croix Bass Legends rods in the 7'3", 7'6'', and 8' MH to XH models are very tough and durable.

American Rodsmiths IMO build the lightest, best balanced and strongest H action 7' rods.

Our own George Roth built me two of the finest swimbait rods I have ever used.

Lee Smith

I'm a Kistler guy all the way.  Most of my rods in the box are Kistler MicroMagnesium.  Light, sensitive and very strong!  I love the microguides, makes me feel more like I know what I'm doing when casting and pitching  ;D

Trey is dern good people too!

Lee
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

LAFisherman

Quote from: pawpaw on June 15, 2010, 11:32:44 AM
I voted other, I use mostly BPS rods of various types. But I really don't see how you can have one rod best for everybody and everything.

Oh I wasn't asking what rod is the one and only one that everyone should use, I was just wanting everyone's opinion as to what their personal favorite was.  Thanks for posting your favorite!

Enjoying reading what everyone's opinion for their favorite rod is and why!  Maybe I'm a little off but it's cool to see why people like what they do and how diverse it is. Keep it up ya'll!
Flippin & Pitchin

Ron Fogelson

Well I started out using wal-mart chit, went to BPS brand stuff but also had an American Rodsmith I won in a tournament, found that with the amount of fishing I do the low end stuff just wouldn't hold up as well or as long as I wanted.  Moved on to shimano and loved the crucial and still have nothing bad to say about them.  However once I got a chance to play with about 20/25 different Dobyns rods I fell in love; the sensitivity and balance is hands above anything I've used before.  I tell folks that do use crucails or cumaras that the difference to me in those and the Dobyns was the same as going from BPS rods to the shimano line.

Again nothing bad about those I still use them but one by one they are being upgraded to Dobyns and the shimanos will be passed down to my oldest boy.  Weight isn't everything with a rod, it's a good fit, feel and balance one must look at what fits/feels best to him/her and balance with the reels they like.  For me, before the switch after a long day flipping on the red or caddo and my back hurt so bad I didn't do much but come home and crash, that was with a 7 foot MH crucial now I use a 7.6 Mag Heavy Dobyns both with the same reel and it works so much better that I can flip or pitch with it all day and have NO pain at the end of the day, none, nothing it's like being young again.   lo

I use mostly shimano reels but have one quantum on my flipping rod and so far I like it.

Anyway thats why I like them, better feeling, light and comfortable, perfect balance and they let me fish harder longer.

Great topic by the way, everyone likes things because XXXXXXXX and like you it's neat to see what and why something works so well for folks.  ~c~

tim4081

Having just gotten back into bass fishing a couple of years ago, I started w/BPS rods but have now started upgrading with Falcons....however, with everything i keep hearing about Dobyns its making me tempted to take the plunge on one...
Attitude predicts altitude.  How high will you fly?

beq98

I have purchased 4 Dobyns Rods and I am very satisfied with each one them.  I feel the workmanship and sensitivity is second to none. My two cents

LAFisherman

I personally cannot afford a Dobyns rod presently, but I told my dad about them since he can and is always looking for a good rod.  I really hope he gets one so that I can see what all the buzz is about.  If you look at my rod collection you will find maybe 2/9 that are the same brand.  LOL

I do think that since I have heard nothing bad about the Dobyns, it will be the first "top of the line" rod that I get.  If it balances that well with everyone that has used it, I am sure that I will have no issues with it. 

A quick question for everyone, how much is the difference between the Dobyns and a G-Loomis? 
Flippin & Pitchin

Mike Cork

ex301p, the IMX is a great rod and I have owned a few. To me the balance wasn't there like with the Dobyns rods. And while the IMX is light weight I never could find the tip action to back back bone ratio I liked. Now the balance issue could be because I refuse  lo to give up my shimano reels, meaning something like a revo might work better with them. When I pair a Dobyns Rod ( any of the three series ) with a curado or citica it's lime an extension of my arm!

With the IMX I would either have to light of a tip and it was hard to control a fish or to heavy of a tip and I felt like I was always horsing a fish. I use mostly the champion series from Dobyns and a great all around rod would be the 734c for a first one to try out. I do have a couple of Champion Extremes and OMG are they the cats meow. I just got a couple of the Savvy series and the are very nice as well. The Savvy will let get a fantastic rod at a more compairable price to the shimano line.

One last thing, I haven't figured out exactly why (I'm not a designer just an end user) but my casting distance to effort has increased dramatically with the Dobyns; this is not a comparison to the IMX because I don't remember and I have sold the ones I had.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

ex301p

Quote from: Mike Cork on June 16, 2010, 08:36:20 AM
ex301p, the IMX is a great rod and I have owned a few. To me the balance wasn't there like with the Dobyns rods. And while the IMX is light weight I never could find the tip action to back back bone ratio I liked. Now the balance issue could be because I refuse  lo to give up my shimano reels, meaning something like a revo might work better with them. When I pair a Dobyns Rod ( any of the three series ) with a curado or citica it's lime an extension of my arm!

With the IMX I would either have to light of a tip and it was hard to control a fish or to heavy of a tip and I felt like I was always horsing a fish. I use mostly the champion series from Dobyns and a great all around rod would be the 734c for a first one to try out. I do have a couple of Champion Extremes and OMG are they the cats meow. I just got a couple of the Savvy series and the are very nice as well. The Savvy will let get a fantastic rod at a more compairable price to the shimano line.

One last thing, I haven't figured out exactly why (I'm not a designer just an end user) but my casting distance to effort has increased dramatically with the Dobyns; this is not a comparison to the IMX because I don't remember and I have sold the ones I had.

Thank You Mike. You make a good point in the balance department. For me the Quantum reels balance nice, but I can see how other brands may not feel the same do to the differences in weight.

As for the backbone of a Loomis, I use only the Standard MBR series so can only speak on such, yes they do feel different then most any other rod. For example the MBR 844c of which is rated a heavy action rod, my favorite of the bunch, in hand feels more like a MH action rod with little backbone compared to other rods in the same class, however when I set that hook and hook that fish it;s like a switch goes off inside the rod, the backbone kicks in. With my Tour PT rods you feel the power right off the bat. It is defiantly a different feel. Some like it it, some don't. Personally I like that feel with some techniques, but like the power feel right off the bat for others. Hench why I love the Loomis but also carry other brands on-board.

Now to figure out a way to talk the wife into yet another fishing rod. LOL

LAFisherman

Hahaha! I'm right there with you on talking the wife into another rod!!
Flippin & Pitchin

catchinweeds

Element 21 Carrot Stix get my vote, so I went with other.  I have two of them, and they are on sale right now on BPS.  Ill have 2 more on the way tomorrow, along with the johnny morris silver series baitcast reels.  Best bang for the buck, IMO.

LAFisherman

I find it interesting that there have been no votes or posts for American Rodsmiths. What about it does not appeal to everyone?
Flippin & Pitchin