A baitcaster that gets no backlash ?

Started by Rhino24, June 26, 2010, 10:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhino24

Is there a baitcaster that get no backlash? I mean that's the reason I have yet to buy one.

HookEm

Every baitcaster backlashes. It depends on if you know how to throw one and even if you do you will always find a way to backlash  lo

Camden

there is no caster that will not backlash. heck ive been using them for years and still get them occasionally. more than i would like to admit. lo

rjn cajun

I honestly thought I found one.LOL I haven`t had one in a lomg time till the other day. The guy I was fishing with decided to walk behind me to get a coke out the ice chest . I cast and my lure is on the back of his sweat shirt. Had to cut out the hole spool to get that one out. ~xyz
The harbor looks much better after you have made it through a rough storm.

OutdoorFrontiers

Actually, there is a baitcaster, the Shimano Calcutta TE DC that has been designed to run an onboard microprocessor that controls microbrakes and allows you to cast with very little worry of a backlash.  It's gets the necessary power to control the microbrakes when the spool spins on the cast.  I've tried one and it's pretty amazing how well it works.

However, this technology comes with a price.  Suggested retail price of $529.00.....

For those with more time than money, the simple thing to do is simply spend $100 - $200 for a QUALITY baitcast rod and reel, spool it up with line, then sit down and read the manual to learn how to set up the reel.

Then practice, Practice, PRACTICE!!!

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

Pro Reel

Short of buying the computer controlled shimano, the closest you can get to a backlash free casting reel is to get one with dual magnetic and centrifugal brakes. The BPS Pro Qualifier and the Abu Revo 2010 STX or 2010 Premier come to mind. Pflueger has some, I think the new president has dual brakes? When a dual brake reel is properly set for the bait and conditions, they are almost backlash free. They are definitely the easiest casting reels to learn on.

PikeMaster

Look at the PATRIARCH it has a dual braking system !!!!!!!

mike54

Like Pro Reel said The BPS. But I like the CarbonLight better.

Lawguy513

I bought my wife the Carbonlite, set the internal brakes to 3 of 6, and the magnetic to 6 of 10, and put a fair amount of tension on the spool.  I can cast that thing a good ways, and when the bait hits the water, the spool just stops.  My wife never used a baitcaster until I bought her this, and now she LOVES it.  If you are just learning, go with interal and magnetic brakes as mentioned.  The Revo STX is $199, and well worth it.  BPS had the Carbonlite on sale for $99, which is a steal!

GermanKnight

There is not a brand out there that delivers that claim. Most people need to take the time to oil the bearings, and take care of the reel as much as possible. There is nothing wrong with using spinning gear tho.

If your worried about big bass, just use a bigger/even saltwater spinning. IMO for most applications i use a rod and reel for a baitcaster simply does not do a good job, no matter what brand i have.

It makes a fun thing into a headache for me atleast. I like high quality spinning reels. The lowest ill use is the shimano s series. Spyrex is wonderful.
Denali custom rods.

BIG PAPA

caddobass

PAPA you should never may a statement like that, now you know what's going to happen when you least expect it. "Professional Over-ride" that's right I don't get backlashes either.
12.30 lb. LMB my best, B.A.S.S. Lifetime Member 1972

BIG PAPA

Dug

I believe that Shakespear came out with a model at I-cast that is Anti-backlash.  In fact I did a quick search and this is the official description.

Introducing The Only Reel With Anti-Backlash System™

Everyone worries about backlashes when fishing with baitcast reels.  And everyone, novice to pro angler, gets the occasional bird's nest.

Shakespeare® has eliminated the anxiety and reluctance to use baitcast reels with the new E-Z Cast® low profile reel. The E-Z Cast incorporates a revolutionary Anti-Backlash System™ (ABS™) that prevents backlash when casting and allows the angler to send baits flying without reel mishap.

The E-Z Cast low profile reel is designed to automatically throttle down the revolutions of the spool when line speed and spool speed are not lining up. This new ABS is a great teaching tool that allows anglers of all skill levels to learn to cast a baitcast without worrying about a bird's nest. When the angler gains confidence the ABS feature can be turned off to function like a normal low profile reel.

The Shakespeare E-Z Cast, featuring this new and exciting ABS technology, is offered as a reel and in a combo. Shakespeare is also launching a pink version of the E-Z Cast low profile reel under the umbrella of female specific products that help support the American Breast Cancer Foundation®.

Both men's and women's models are filled with 100 yards of quality Stren® 10-pound test monofilament line. The combos feature a two-piece 6'0" medium action rod with hook keeper, stainless steel guides, and EVA grips.

The Shakespeare E-Z Cast has an MSRP of $39.99. The reel and rod combo is priced at $49.99.
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lipripper

Dang Dug it's hard to see a reel with that feature for that price  :shocking:

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

GermanKnight

Good info, i just dont like shakespear, there a cheapo brand, and with that comes quality issues.

When i was 10 i broke i dont know how many of those rod and reels.

Again, the information is great, and thank you for posting it. I would definately have to check it out and see whats up.

I think the Scorpion or Curado are the only 2 i have used with CONFIDENCE that im not gonna get a backlash.

I got a megaplus by diawa, and i gotta say it was the WORST freakin reel i have ever used in my life.

I went with spinning, and probably will for the rest of my life. if i need a heavy duty spinning reel, ill use a surf reel.

People talk about baitcasters being more accurate, i dont think so for me. but its all in what you learned. All in what your comfortable with.

Some people like BC, some like spinning, and some even like spin casting. To each is own, and respected.
Denali custom rods.

Camden

thats some cool info Dug. i may have to test one of thses out. at that price i could almost afford to try and make it backlash. lo
Found a pic of it

Lawguy513

Cam, it would have been wonderfully ironic if you found and posted a picture of it all backlashed!

Camden

loomisguy

Hey GK where did you find your scorpion here in the states ??  I been wantin to get one but i hate to pay the shipping from Japan.

GermanKnight

Quote from: loomisguy on August 03, 2010, 03:03:19 PM
Hey GK where did you find your scorpion here in the states ??  I been wantin to get one but i hate to pay the shipping from Japan.

A friend traded it to me for a rod i had and didnt use. He is my goto guy on equipment like that.

If you had something you would want to trade, you might try PMing me, and we can work something out. Its a lefty tho, and i only use left handed baitcasters since im so used to spinning tackle.
Denali custom rods.

mauro

Quote from: OutdoorFrontiers on June 26, 2010, 03:04:13 PM
Actually, there is a baitcaster, the Shimano Calcutta TE DC that has been designed to run an onboard microprocessor that controls microbrakes and allows you to cast with very little worry of a backlash.  It's gets the necessary power to control the microbrakes when the spool spins on the cast.  I've tried one and it's pretty amazing how well it works.

However, this technology comes with a price.  Suggested retail price of $529.00.....

For those with more time than money, the simple thing to do is simply spend $100 - $200 for a QUALITY baitcast rod and reel, spool it up with line, then sit down and read the manual to learn how to set up the reel.

Then practice, Practice, PRACTICE!!!

Steve
The shimano Calais has the same feature.   I've seen someone intentionally drive a jig right into the water  and not Backlash...  impressive!

wvbassangler

Quote from: PikeMaster on June 28, 2010, 06:19:42 PM
Look at the PATRIARCH it has a dual braking system !!!!!!!
Ditto nice reel
Charleston, West Virginia

dave0943

I'm new to this forum, but have been fishing MANY seasons. I don't think a BC made can't backlash. I have found one that once set right, it is not likely to backlash much. That reel is the dual brake Pro Qualifier from Bass Pro. This is one of the sweetest casting reels I've owned. I have Revo's, Curado's and the like and this is one of my favorites. Take it in the yard with a practise plug. Learn to adjust it and don't look back. I can throw 1/4 oz jigs and spinnerbaits without a concern. Especially if you learn to use your thumb. You still need to watch the wind!!!

-Shawn-

There are a few online stores that sell JDM stuff that have the Scorpions.  You can ocasionally find them on EBAY too.