A baitcaster that gets no backlash ?

Started by Rhino24, June 26, 2010, 10:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OutdoorFrontiers

The thing is though, while Scorpions are truely fine reels, they're very smooth, and have a great braking system, they're no where near backlash proof!

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

CWBass

I would say that the baitcaster with the lowest chance of backlash is the one in the hands of someone who has a lot of practice using that specific reel.  There are many different features on many different reels, but nothing will ever beat learning how to use it, setting it up correctly, and then practicing.

My first baitcaster was a pretty nice model.  I used it about 5 times, got frustrated and put it away for a year.  When I saw my 12 year old son casting it with a lot less trouble than I had, I decided it was time to figure it out.  I probably had to cut the line off and respool it twice, but now I feel pretty comfortable.  Even when I do get a backlash these days, it's not as bad and I can get it out in a minute or two.  Just don't give up.

Dan1962

check this site out /www.tackletour.com/reviewshimmetmgdc.html   Nice review of the Shimano DC reel

pawpaw

Garcia made a reel about 10 years ago that wasn't supposed to backlash. It had kind of a flap thing on top of the reel. I can't remember what it was called but it was black and looked like the 521 XLT. Does anyone remember these ?
I don't mind not knowing all the answers, but I keep forgeting the danged questions.

OutdoorFrontiers

Yep, I remember them, and I also remember that when the reel was set up to be "backlash proof", it didn't really work all that well anyway.

The problem was that when you ran the line through the "flap", you couldn't cast it far enough to get it to backlash, although I doubt that was Garcia's intent.

I had several clients bring those reels on trips and I couldn't make the darn reel cast unless I bypassed the backlash flapper-thinger...

Steve

Dan1962

yep the Anti-Backlash system really hurt casting Distance Big Time Model Was 4600AB

[attachment outdated - deleted by admin]

TrippyJai

Buy a baitcaster based on your budget and feel of the reel. Once you've got that done, check out youtube videos. I've never really had issues with a baitcaster since I've used them except for 1, which was explained to me on the forums.

It's about thumb control, making proper casts, understanding line, setting the adjustments for each lure weight on the tension knob and brakes. I can even hand my gf a baitcasting reel and she does fine.

pawpaw

Quote from: Dan1962 on September 26, 2010, 01:06:35 AM
yep the Anti-Backlash system really hurt casting Distance Big Time Model Was 4600AB
Well, I had the color and model wrong. I was right about everything else. lo
I don't mind not knowing all the answers, but I keep forgeting the danged questions.

nmanley

The new US REELS Supercaster 1000 & Pro 1000 are suppose to be backlash free as long as you thumb it when the bait enters the water.
http://www.usreel.com/products/BaitCasterFeatures.aspx

Nolan Manley - Daleville AL

islandbass

Contrary to popular belief, that are baitcasters that don't backlash...

However, they are the ones that aren't in use.  ~roflmao

I would love to see a video of that calais or calcutta for slam a jig into the water and not to see it backlash.  ;PEP)
ARX - IB's Daughter on BC Reels:
"Papi! I like this reel. It is so much easier to use than the other one (the spinning reel) and it is more fun to use too." Now all I can say to that is this;
"That's my little girl!"

OutdoorFrontiers

Quote from: islandbass on September 28, 2010, 03:33:57 AM

I would love to see a video of that calais or calcutta for slam a jig into the water and not to see it backlash.  ;PEP)

I would love to see anyone try that with ANY baitcaster and NOT have a mess....

Steve

mauro

Quote from: islandbass on September 28, 2010, 03:33:57 AM
Contrary to popular belief, that are baitcasters that don't backlash...

However, they are the ones that aren't in use.  ~roflmao

I have seen it.   Next time I see the guy with a calais, I'll tape him.

I slam jigs into the water all the time skipping.  With 3 brakes on, and good spool tension, I hardly have an extra loop form.

islandbass

Mauro,

That is awesome you can do that. I hope you didn't think I was doubting it, as rereading my post I can see that it could come across that way.

In reality, my intent was to show excitement to see it. It would be way cool to watch. I have seen some folks use their rigs as if they were shooting clay pigeons somewhere on you tube I think and that was neat.

BTW, what reel do you use for skipping?
ARX - IB's Daughter on BC Reels:
"Papi! I like this reel. It is so much easier to use than the other one (the spinning reel) and it is more fun to use too." Now all I can say to that is this;
"That's my little girl!"

mauro

I skip with a Curado 200E set to 3 -4 brakes and spool tension tight enough to stop the spool from spilling.