Wyandotte County Lake

Started by mgd0702, March 13, 2010, 08:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgd0702

Today was the opening day and with it came lots of people and lots of trout and catfish were being caught. We had wind and rain with the low 40's. I ended up with 4 bass with the biggest being 17 1/2". All fish came on jigs in 15 ft of water. Fishing was slow for me today but was a good first day.

mgd0702

Made it out after work today and managed three fish under the limit.  Bite was slow but the evening was great.  Nice to get out again. 

coldfront

Camden

Hey good to hear your catching em on your side of the state man. means i will shortly as well. ;)

ChiefD

It's been a long time since I fished at Wyandotte County Lake. I'm considering registering my boat there this year.

mgd0702

Made it out today and got in an hour and a half of fishing. Worked a couple of windy points and managed 1 smallmouth and 2 largemouth. Switched to a jig and first pitch had a little one on.  As I lifted him in the boat my Falcon snapped between the second and third guide.  Not sure what went wrong there.  Switched to a different rod and managed 6 more fish with a 19", 17" and a 15".  Ended up being pretty good, fish seemed to want some overhanging trees to hide under.  Lots of wind today. Happy Memorial Day and thanks to the veterans. 

Michael

Mike Cork

Sounds like a good day, well except for the rod? Thanks for sharing the info. Looking back in 2010 you also caught good fish on a jig  :-* I'm thinking I like this lake ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

coldfront

Quote from: Mike Cork on June 03, 2011, 01:24:19 PM:-* I'm thinking I like this lake ~c~

it's a nice one. lots of them in this part of the world...they're just a bit smaller...and more of them.

bluebasser86

New guy to the board here. I live pretty close to Wyandotte and fish it quite a bit. It's about the best lake on the Kansas side in the KC area IMHO. It's really becoming a good little smallmouth lake, which I think are probably better suited for the deep, clear, rocky little lake. Good to see some good fish being caught out there. Thought I'd share a couple of my bigger fish from the 'Dotte this year.
3lb 10oz largemouth on a shakeyhead out from under a dock.

4lb 2oz smallmouth on a shakeyhead off a deep point.

The fall bite should be starting out there pretty soon and is usually pretty good to me.

Mike Cork

Awesome thanks for the info and photos  ~c~ looking forward to seeing more from up your way!

Welcome to the site! Keep the reports coming. I spent some time in Springfield Mo and would get up to Truman once in a while. Do you every get over that far?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

bluebasser86

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 25, 2011, 08:25:08 AM
Awesome thanks for the info and photos  ~c~ looking forward to seeing more from up your way!

Welcome to the site! Keep the reports coming. I spent some time in Springfield Mo and would get up to Truman once in a while. Do you every get over that far?

I'm not a big fan of Truman, too much fluctuation of the water to get the bass in a good pattern. I did have my best tournament ever there though  lo I get to Table Rock, Lake of the Ozarks, and Pomme De Terre a few times ever year. I'll probably be on Table Rock Saturday-Monday this week in fact  ;D

bluebasser86

Fished Wyandotte for about two and half hours today and did pretty well despite the wind. Ended up with 20, 17 largemouth and 3 smallmouth. No keepers but almost all over 14". Chatterbait was getting the most bites but wasn't hooking many of them. Excalibur XR50 wasn't getting as many bites but was hooking all of them. Lost one probably around 17" when it dove into a limb on it. Caught a few on a shakeyhead and lost another one that felt heavy on the hookset. Also caught a few on a homemade jig flipping into brush. Seems like the fall bite is on out there.

bluebasser86

Like every Wednesday night during the warmer months I was fishing the Wyandotte County Lake Wednesday night tournament this last week. This is the first year we've done a points system and are going to have a fish off at the end of the year. It's been an terribly difficult season so far. So much so that if you've weighed a fish since they started on April 17th then you've qualified, which means only about 10 teams have qualified so far  My boat sits solidly in second place, having weighed in the most fish so far while finishing second once and winning once, until last Wednesday.
I was fishing with my friend Drew and it was even tougher than it has been. Getting bites has not been a problem really, it's been getting anything largemouth to stretch 15" or smallmouth to go 18". Last week my buddy Jon and I put almost 40 in the boat in the 3 1/2 hours, not one was a keeper! Twice I thought I had a keeper fish hooked this past Wednesday, once it turned out to be a drum and the second time it was a walleye that jumped  As it was winding down to the last half hour we made our way to one of my favorite twilight hour spots. I hadn't had even a boil on my buzzbait so I switched to one of my homemade chatterbaits that has caught so many keepers for me out there. We fished the sweet spot where I missed one and caught a dink and I'd about given up hope when I made a cast behind a line of water willows and got a light "tick" as I started my retrieve. I set the hook and the fish bulldozed through the weeds quickly. I thought it was a small fish because it wasn't pulling hard but it was coming straight towards me quickly. Once it got to the boat it dove under the boat and pulled my rod all the way to the reel seat in the water! I was afraid it might be another drum or a catfish until I saw a big white mouth flair open in an attempt to spit my bait, no doubt she was a keeper! Before Drew could even get the net open I was on my knees in the bottom of the boat and got a lip lock on her. I didn't take much time to admire her and quickly put her in the livewell and checked the time, 9:13, weigh in is 9:30. We made a few more casts and had to head in.
We were one of the last boats off the water (had my dog with us and she needed a bathroom break before I backed the truck down) and everyone was pretty much done with weigh in by the time we pulled up. I grabbed a bag and got our fish and got behind the 2 guys in line. When I heard the guy leading it had one fish for 2.12 pounds I knew we had a good shot. Next two guys each had squeakers that didn't break the 2 pound mark. Everyone was getting restless since weigh in was winding down and I was doing my best to hide my bag behind me. When I pulled my fish out of the bag the collective "oh's and ah's" told the story  Now while this fish is just a solid keeper on most lakes she is a giant for this lake, enough for first place and big bass. I had guessed she was maybe 3 from the quick glance I took before tossing her in the livewell but the scales don't lie and she rang up 3.86 pounds, the second biggest fish weighed in so far this year!

So tournament win number 2 was knocked out for Team Roughneck and we inched a little closer to that number 1 spot!

coldfront

3.86 may not seem that large to many...but that's a great fish during an obviously difficult time-frame.

I know Wyandotte has some real magnums in it...well, at least I've heard guys tell stories    ;D ;)  they ought to with the trout feeding program every spring...

on a side note:  smallmouth.

once upon a time folks would have sworn that smallies couldn't live in the waters around here...too warm, too 'whatever'...but they're 'finding a way'...  even as some might say the 'habitat' is degrading due to AGW...

bluebasser86

Quote from: coldfront on June 16, 2013, 11:00:29 AM
3.86 may not seem that large to many...but that's a great fish during an obviously difficult time-frame.

I know Wyandotte has some real magnums in it...well, at least I've heard guys tell stories    ;D ;)  they ought to with the trout feeding program every spring...

on a side note:  smallmouth.

once upon a time folks would have sworn that smallies couldn't live in the waters around here...too warm, too 'whatever'...but they're 'finding a way'...  even as some might say the 'habitat' is degrading due to AGW...

Wyandotte is much better suited for smallmouth than largemouth. It's mainly clear water and rocks with lots of deep drop offs and very little cover. Tons of shad and crawdads for the smallies to eat. I believe that in the next 10 years it will become a fishery dominated by smallmouth. I've already seen it go from only being able to catch a smallmouth or two during prime conditions to at times being able  to catch a couple dozen with fish up to 6 pounds possible.