flurocarbon vs. mono?

Started by ILbasslayer, June 23, 2010, 11:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILbasslayer

hey guys.   i havent been on here for a while.  ive been kinda depressed. havent been catchin as many fish or any big ones.   anyways, i have been picking up on fishin' more and a couple weeks ago somebody gave me a spool of Vicious Flurocarbon line. i havent thrown a baitcaster for that long, but i have got good enough to where i dont get a birdsnest every trip.      but iv been told that mono stretches alot when you set the hook or something.   i havent heard anything about flurocarbon.    i am debating on putting on the spool of vicious yet or not. idk if it is beginner friendly or what. i need osme more info about it.        thanks guys, and sorry for the stupid question.
NEVER GIVE UP
Don't let anyone look down on you  because you are young, but set an example  for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith  and in purity. 1st Timothy 4:12
Started from the bottom, now we here.

rjn cajun

Not astupid question at all. When I first started out I used mono and thought it was easier to cast on a casting reel. That`s just my two cents.
The harbor looks much better after you have made it through a rough storm.

coldfront

agree that mono casts easier on baitcasting than flouro...I prefer Trilene XL...but that's just me...

Took me a 'bit' to get used to flouro...used to absolutely hate the stuff...then I tried Trilene 100 Flouro...and it was 'workable'...(sorry for the trilene commercial...)

Think about 'what' is happening...are you getting pick ups?  setting the hook and just not keeping them hooked?

Perhaps it's a situation where you're using spinning rods (often much lighter in action) and trying to set heavy wire hooks more suited to heavy line/heavy rods...if  you're texas rigging...consider an EWG hook along the lines of what Mustad or Gamakatsu offer...push the hook point all the way through the bait...laying it up against the surface of the plastic and skin hooking...

hook sets on spinning tackle are a slightly different animal...

Just 'opining'...your issues may not be line related at all...lots to think about...including hook setting techniques...

Camden

well i can tell you one thing flouro is not beginner friendly. if you are still having problems with birds nests then you might wanna stick with mono for a bit.
the problem with flouro is that on a bad birdnest you can get a kink in the line and that could weaken the flouro.
I had a buddy that started with flouro on a baitcaster and in about 3 weeks he took it off.

It doesnt sound like your having problems with your hooksets so i would hold on to the flouro till later on.

so far the best mono i have found with low stretch for me is the berkley transoptic.

ILbasslayer

thanks guys,      i think i will hold off on the floro.    i mean im too the point to where i can go and not get a nest.         i was also given some Cajun Red Line or whatever it is called. thats what i am throwing now. and thats what i have been using for about a week now.   and i mean it casts good. i cant really tell a  difference in the casting part.  but it just seems like i feel the same bite on different lines, but when i set the hook it just doesnt contact the fish.        maybe its just my timing.   im not sure. but i gotta figure something out because im fishing my first tournament here coming up soon.
NEVER GIVE UP
Don't let anyone look down on you  because you are young, but set an example  for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith  and in purity. 1st Timothy 4:12

Camden

no offense to anyone....but if it was me i would trash that cajun line. just me but i tried it once and  had horrible memory and broke everytime i turned my head. this was awhile ago so it may have gotten better but i wont take a chance again. lo

Stump bumper

I second the comment on the Canjun red, guess some people like it but I tried it once and scaped the rest.

There has been a lot of heated dabates on here about red line so I won't go there but I really had a hard time with that line.
Beaver Lake  Arkansas

ILbasslayer

i agree.    it says smooth casting.   phsst.      i hate it. ive got my shimmano and my vicious right next to the computer.   i am thinking hard about this dicision.  lol.

i seen some Bass Pro Excel monofilament line in my sporting goods store. it was 9 bucks for 1200 yards.     is it worth the 9 bucks or is there a reason why its 9 bucks for 1200 yards?

this is agrivating.
NEVER GIVE UP

coldfront

Quote from: ILbasslayer on June 25, 2010, 10:14:13 PM
i seen some Bass Pro Excel monofilament line in my sporting goods store. it was 9 bucks for 1200 yards.     is it worth the 9 bucks or is there a reason why its 9 bucks for 1200 yards?

some folks like Chevys...some folks Fords...others Dodge...etc...

I don't like Stren mono...for some very specific reasons...but I know lots of folks who love it...and think it's the best out there...

Part of what you are going to be involved with is 'trial and error'...I think you'll find that most lines by most companies are 'good' and 'workable'...  but it begins to be the 'littlest of things' that drives the decisions as you get more experience with them...

We can argue on forums all day long about 'which is best'...in the end, what you see in the diverse opinions are individuals who've tried different things and settled on what works best for them and their style/approach...

you'll be fine...

Camden

How bout this. ILbasslayer. I have a brand new still in package spool of Sufix Seige. not for sure what pound test (proly 10/12) it is right off but if you want some smooth casting line i'll send it to ya. for the low price of FREE so you can try it out. I bought it to spool up a reel and found out i had already bought a spool so I dont need this one.

ILbasslayer

Quote from: Camden on June 27, 2010, 12:00:55 PM
How bout this. ILbasslayer. I have a brand new still in package spool of Sufix Seige. not for sure what pound test (proly 10/12) it is right off but if you want some smooth casting line i'll send it to ya. for the low price of FREE so you can try it out. I bought it to spool up a reel and found out i had already bought a spool so I dont need this one.

thanks man.          i bought some of that at walmart last night actually.   gonna give it a try.  just put it on last night.
NEVER GIVE UP

Camden

man should have sent it to ya earlier than. lo I think your gonna love that sufix

albright1695

Love that sufix siege. It is a really good all around line.

ILbasslayer

i put the suffix on my other reel that i use part of the time.   i like it alot.         i actually went out on a limb and just wasted some money on some Spider Wire Braid.  i believe it is spider wire.   put it on my shimmano and i LOVE that stuff.        caught my biggest fish of the year on the spider wire braid.           
NEVER GIVE UP

ILbasslayer

got another rod and reel today.   got a Shimano 7 foot flippin stick.    and a abu garcia black maxx reel of my buddy.   put the Vicious Flurocarbon on my Garcia.      i like the vicious so much, i took of the suffix and put it on the reel i had the suffix on.
NEVER GIVE UP

fisherdad

Quote from: ILbasslayer on June 27, 2010, 09:15:57 PM
i put the suffix on my other reel that i use part of the time.   i like it alot.         i actually went out on a limb and just wasted some money on some Spider Wire Braid.  i believe it is spider wire.   put it on my shimmano and i LOVE that stuff.        caught my biggest fish of the year on the spider wire braid.           

I like that SpiderWire as well... I looked at both SpiderWire and PowerPro (which I love and have been using for awhile) while at the store, and didnt notice too much of a difference. So, to save 50cents and that I love trying new stuff, I went with the SpiderWire. No complaints, casts well, holds up well, nice and limp, no memory... all great for the spinning outfit I'm using it on. Only issue, is that I got 8# and it's so thin that I cant see it sometimes if the reflection on the water is of green trees :)

ILbasslayer

Quote from: fisherdad on July 02, 2010, 02:52:05 PM
I like that SpiderWire as well... I looked at both SpiderWire and PowerPro (which I love and have been using for awhile) while at the store, and didnt notice too much of a difference. So, to save 50cents and that I love trying new stuff, I went with the SpiderWire. No complaints, casts well, holds up well, nice and limp, no memory... all great for the spinning outfit I'm using it on. Only issue, is that I got 8# and it's so thin that I cant see it sometimes if the reflection on the water is of green trees :)

haha.     i got the 15 pound i believe.   and i was kinda disappointed that you only got like 100 yards.    it just feels weird because it is less than what i usually have on the spool.
NEVER GIVE UP

GermanKnight

I see alot of people saying Floro not being user friendly, and i guess i have just been using braid and mono for so long it was not very tough to convert.

Id have to say that there are a few brands that offer great products. P-Line, Vicious and my personal favorite Seaguar. Seaguar at about 11 bucks for 200 yards at BPS is a great deal for the product you get.

No problems with not strength at all, it does not do what most typically complain about floro. They make wonderful products, i dont mean to sound like im biased, but its the best, and i dont want to steer anyone into buying a product they will be unhappy with.

I also think in some situations people are using rods with sub-par guide material, causing alot of friction, therefore it could be there fault as to why there floro is not working correctly.
Denali custom rods.