Rules to Bass Fishing

Started by Mike Cork, December 09, 2010, 11:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

I just added to my blog about my thoughts on the "rules" of bass fishing? Check it out and let's see what rules you might have learned or come to fish by over the years?

Check out "Get the Net" on www.ultimatebass.com and let us know what you think.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

-Shawn-

Mike, Thjis is another great Blog!

You kind of killed what I thought I was going to post.  You pretty much already said it word for word!  lo

The first Lake Fork Rally was during the worst Cold front we had had all winter. Imediate post front conditions were Brutal both for an angler and the rules.  Brutal cold,Bluebird sky's and the water temp had fallen 12 degrees in 48 hrs.
if you went by the rules, that would mean fishing the first break to deeper water Very Slowly tight to cover!  However the pattern was totally opisite.  We caught the majority of our fish in less than 3 foot of water on a Mostly bare secondary point. All while fishing a vibrashock .  :-\

Totally oposite senario at sqaw Creek in October,  Classic PRE front conditions, overcast, Strong south winds, again by the rules the fish would be active and power fishing should dominate.  REALITY= one fish on a reaction bait and 23 fish flipping extremely tight to cover with a 1/4 oz tungsten and an LFT 5" hyperfreak.  The bite was extremely lite!

The fish have never read the Rulebook!  lo

TakeSonFishing

I have a rule thats always works. 

If you dont wet a hook, you're not going to catch any fish. 

Mike Cork

Quote from: TakeSonFishing on December 09, 2010, 01:04:09 PM
If you dont wet a hook, you're not going to catch any fish.

No one can argue with that  ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Catch 22

Great read!!  Good info to remember, I tend to stick to the rules and if no luck, no luck.... Need to keep an open mind!
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Jared LeBlue

All very true. I was talking to Bobby Reed ( a WLF biologist ) last year and I asked him why on some perfect days you can't get bit and on the other hand on the worse day imaginable you can load the boat. His answer was simple. He said "Jared they are fish, they eat when they want to not when they are suppose to." He went on to say " Fish don't read books, watch television, or read post on the internet. They don't know that are suppose to bite in certain conditions and not in others".

Very hard to argue that fact. lo
Ardent Prostaff

Lee Smith

Quote from: Jared LeBlue on December 09, 2010, 01:27:19 PM
All very true. I was talking to Bobby Reed ( a WLF biologist ) last year and I asked him why on some perfect days you can't get bit and on the other hand on the worse day imaginable you can load the boat. His answer was simple. He said "Jared they are fish, they eat when they want to not when they are suppose to." He went on to say " Fish don't read books, watch television, or read post on the internet. They don't know that are suppose to bite in certain conditions and not in others".

Very hard to argue that fact. lo

I have thought about throwing a bunch of my old magazines in the Lake for the fish to read up, wife said that would be stupid, they pages would stick together  ~roflmao
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Jared LeBlue

Quote from: Lsmith500 on December 09, 2010, 03:11:02 PM
I have thought about throwing a bunch of my old magazines in the Lake for the fish to read up, wife said that would be stupid, they pages would stick together  ~roflmao

~roflmao
Ardent Prostaff

Broskee

thats a good one lol. I have always been taught that you can't catch anything sitting on the couch :D. cuz you never know what is going to happen when you go, you may not catch some and then you may do the best you have ever done.

bassindude

The one Ive always believed is never leave fish to find fish.  Oldjim proved that one at the Fork rally.  WE stayed in one small area most of the day, where he knew there were fish.  even though the bite was slow, he knew they were there, ahd he caught them on a lure he knew they would bite.
Jim ><///'>><///'>

-Shawn-

I thought sillybass fished with old Jim???

Donald Garner

Mike, thanks for the read. ~c~

Excellent points made in the article and by the guys that reply to the thread. ~shade

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

bassindude

Quote from: -Shawn- on December 09, 2010, 09:10:00 PM
I thought sillybass fished with old Jim???

Nope, that was me he schooled.
Jim ><///'>><///'>

sillybass

Quote from: bassindude on December 10, 2010, 08:07:00 PM
Nope, that was me he schooled.

Ummmm you fished with him at the tourney the day after the UB BBQ  on Caddo.  I fished with him at Fork Rally or well atleast I thought I did  :-\ :-\ lo

bassindude

Quote from: sillybass on December 10, 2010, 10:22:38 PM
Ummmm you fished with him at the tourney the day after the UB BBQ  on Caddo.  I fished with him at Fork Rally or well atleast I thought I did  :-\ :-\ lo

OOPS, you are correct.  I must be getting that oldtimers diesase. ~xyz
Jim ><///'>><///'>