night fishing spinners

Started by Chanceb23, January 02, 2011, 06:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chanceb23

First off I want to say I LOVE SPINNERS!!! But I am a bit confused with them when it comes to night fishing with them.  I know to throw dark colors like black at night but what size is the best.  I recently bought a 1/4 black and green Booyah spinner because I am a newb that is what the a guy at Bass Pro told me to get. But I have a subscription to "Bassin'" and they had an article about spinners that said that using a spinner at night needed to be big like a 5/8 or 3/4. So is bigger or smaller the way to go at night?
Denali Rods and Gunn Baits Pro Staff
www.denalirods.com PM me for Gunn Baits (local)
Bass in Pictures are smaller than they appear.

Jared LeBlue

At night go bigger.  I use a single Colorado blade, 1/2 oz spinner bait. The single blade throws off more vibration and the bigger bait just simply has a bigger profile for the fish to locate. The theory behind the dark bait at night is that a dark bait cast a better shadow, if you will, against the dark sky. Don't get hung up on that though. I have seen where a white spinner bait at night will produce just as many hits.  ;)
Ardent Prostaff

pawpaw

I throw the same thing, 1/2 oz. Colorado blade, black and blue or back and red with either a grub or Mosquito Hawk trailer. I like to reel as slow as I can and still keep the blade turning.
I don't mind not knowing all the answers, but I keep forgeting the danged questions.

ring fry

Yep, big Colorado blade in black or dark blue.  It works.

SE Kansas grass grower
GO JAYHAWKS
2008 NCAA Basketball Champions

Chanceb23

How well does black and chartreuse? I am picking up a couple Booyah Moon Talker Spinners And was thinking a black and char and black and blue.
Denali Rods and Gunn Baits Pro Staff
www.denalirods.com PM me for Gunn Baits (local)
Bass in Pictures are smaller than they appear.

pawpaw

I really don't think the color matters except to the fisherman. The vibration and water displacement is what's important at night.
I don't mind not knowing all the answers, but I keep forgeting the danged questions.

Ron Fogelson

Folks have been giving you some great advice, I also like a black, black blue or black red single Colorado blade spinnerbait but adjust the size based on the depth of the water I'm fishing, I use 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 1 ounce.

I also add a double tail grub in black, white or blue than once in place I always use a trailer hook.

The best night bait for me is a black or black/blue vibrashock, or chatter style bait.  Another option for more open water areas is a rattle trap,,, at least I like them and don't ever hear folks talk about it so  ~shhh

For plastics I go with a black 10 inch worm or junebug or black neon brush hog and used to put rattles in the plastic but now I tend to put a bead between the weight and hook  :-*

Best advice is just to get out and fish at night, lots cooler, less boat traffic and some great fish to be caught.  ~bb

coldfront

Quote from: Jared LeBlue on January 02, 2011, 06:52:03 PM
At night go bigger.  I use a single Colorado blade, 1/2 oz spinner bait. The single blade throws off more vibration and the bigger bait just simply has a bigger profile for the fish to locate. The theory behind the dark bait at night is that a dark bait cast a better shadow, if you will, against the dark sky. Don't get hung up on that though. I have seen where a white spinner bait at night will produce just as many hits.  ;)

many years ago, a guide on tablerock gave me a 3/8 ounce Hank Parker spinnerbait (white) to throw during the day...and at night ...  it worked.

I've gone to tossing a 1/2 ounce black Terminator (single gold colorado blade) for the majority of my applications ... both daytime and night time...

As for weight, the big 'hubcap' blades (#5 colorado or 'bigger') need a heavier weight for the head to 'run right'...and get that 'throb' you can feel in your rod...that attracts the 'ladies of the night'...