quantum hackney rod

Started by inbow, January 28, 2011, 04:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inbow

New to site.  Looking for new flippin stick. Wondering about Quantum 7'11" Hackney rod. I use 17-20lb Floro to flip, no braid. Specs seem to insist it is built for braid because of the parabolic action. I am looking at the older version w/ cork. Anyone use this rod? Also looking at Powell 765MH.

inbow

Just saw fishing show on Outdoor Channel.  KVD was using Hackney rod to flip and pitch with braid and floro.  If its good enough for him, I guess it will work for me.

inbow

Found this rod on clearance for $84.  Does anyone feel this rod is worth it.  Or should I save twice as much and buy a Dobyns?

Broskee

uh I would get that if it was on clearance

ex301p

IMO its a steal at that price. I own a few of the Cork Tour Edition rods and actually prefer to use them for flipping and pitching over my Loomis rods. The newer models I am not to crazy about, but the older ones with the cork grips that your looking at I really like and think you will be happy with. 

inbow

Have not read anything bad about the Tour Editions.  Can't decide if i would be comfortable w/ a 7'11" stick. Only 5'9" tall.  Has anyone used  floro w/ a parabolic bend rod?

aydensdad

Quote from: inbow on February 05, 2011, 08:26:33 AM
Found this rod on clearance for $84.  Does anyone feel this rod is worth it.  Or should I save twice as much and buy a Dobyns?

I love Quantum rods...How often do you think you will use the rod? If not all the time I would go with the less expensive Quantum
My avatar is hotter than yours!

inbow

i will be using alot.   Plan to use for other apps as well.  I cant seem to dismiss the warranty on Powell and Dobyns rods even though the Quantum is half as much.  To have a Powell or Dobyns replaced for only$60 if it is your fault says alot.

ex301p

If warranty is a main concern then you would be better off with Powell or Dobyns. Quantum does have a lifetime warranty on the Tours I believe, but it will take a life time for them to send you back a rod. Not the greatest company as far as customer service goes.

With that said I have never had to send in my Tours, there some tuff rods, however I did have one in which the tip guide insert came out. I called Quantum and asked if they would just send me out a new guide and I will change it out myself. I was told no, send the rod in and they would send me a new rod. A new rod for a rod tip guide? They do not repair rods, they replace them of which can be a good thing, but for a rod tip guide, well that's just stupid biz IMO. I asked how long will the exchange take and was told 6 to 8 weeks. Um no thank you I said. I ordered a guide online and changed it myself of which took less then a week to get the part and less then 5 minutes to change out myself.  Have not had one problem with that rod since.

Same thing happened with a Loomis rod I own a few years back and Loomis not only sent me out a replacement guide but send me 5 of them of which I had in my hand 3 days after I called along with a catalog and a nice Loomis sticker. This was when Loomis owned the company, can't say if Shimano (owners of Loomis now)would do the same or not.

inbow

Thanks for the info ex301p.  A warranty is a big concern of mine, as well as a great product and great service.  It's the little things that cause me to pick one thing over the other.  I have always bought middle to lower grade fishing equipment with the thought i could buy more with my money.  I have found that having more rods and reels at a middle/lower grade does not necessarily mean you are getting more.  I am now in the process of upgrading to 6-8 high quality setups instead of 10-12 lower quality. I have saved a long time to do this, but i feel it will be worth it in the end. 

ex301p

Quote from: inbow on February 08, 2011, 06:45:24 PM
Thanks for the info ex301p.  A warranty is a big concern of mine, as well as a great product and great service.  It's the little things that cause me to pick one thing over the other.  I have always bought middle to lower grade fishing equipment with the thought i could buy more with my money.  I have found that having more rods and reels at a middle/lower grade does not necessarily mean you are getting more.  I am now in the process of upgrading to 6-8 high quality setups instead of 10-12 lower quality. I have saved a long time to do this, but i feel it will be worth it in the end.

Glad I can help. Don't get me wrong I do love the tour rods I own and no way I will give up my Tour Reels, its just Quantum is not so great in the Customer Service Warranty department. Also of note, that I just thought of, is if you do have an issue they will replace the rod with this years model of which has the same blank but everything else has been cheapened down. Cheaper guides, cork and reel seats. 

inbow

We have a boat, sport, and travel show coming up in a week.  I am hoping for some good deals on some new rods.  It will be good to handle the different models I am interested in.  This could change things completely.  Thanks again for the Quantum info ex301p.  By the way, I have been a Quantum reel man all my life.  Have tried others, but simply prefer them.

ex301p

Quote from: inbow on February 09, 2011, 08:14:45 PM
By the way, I have been a Quantum reel man all my life.  Have tried others, but simply prefer them.

I use to be a Shimano Guy way back when and there's nothing wrong with Shimano, but the first time I purchased a Quantum back in the early 80's I was hooked have never looked back. The only issue I have had is trying to explain to the wife that I need to buy new reels when the old Quantum's are still working as good as new. HEHE But, But Dear they did not make 6.3:1 or 7.0:1 gear ratios back then. LOL You did not need it then why you need it now? Cause the fish are twice as fast today dear. ~roflmao

All's I know is that the wife will go before the Tours and my Frogs go. HEHE