How many of you have DELTA V custom rods???

Started by Gabby, August 10, 2003, 03:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabby

Tell me what you think about them, if you have one.  Tell me a little more about them, I am thinking about a "Purple & Gold" one in the future....

Thanks!

Gabby

Mike Cork

Gabby I have several of them and will not use anything else. Just the fact that they are built to your exact specifications makes them fit like a glove. Rod Scobee the man that makes them take an enourmous amount of pride in each and everyone that he builds. Before you decide to get one make sure you have thought out exactly what you want and how you want to use it. He will ask you what seems like and endless amount of questions before he builds your rod.

Things to think about--- Length, types of eyelets, do you want wrap around eyelets or standard straight up the blank. are you going to use it for pitching and if so what kind of real will you be using what pound test do you generally use, will you want the rod balanced or not. The posibilities are endless and by the way he has a great TIGERS combination it is really sharp.

If you have any questions let me know

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Gabby

Mike,

I have TONS of questions!  Concerning the Delta V rods, how to catch Bass, etc.  I am looking forward to meeting you, as it seems everyone has real nice things to say about you.

I am sure glad I found this website!  I am really hungry to learn, and look forward to putting the time in to do so.  I am all ears - and hope I can be a good sponge to those of you who seem more than happy to help make fishing a joy.

Please call me any time (Steve can give you my number, or you can drop me an email).  And thanks for making the sacrifice to serve our country.  I wonder how many, if any, of the Patriotic Delta V's you have?

Steve showed me one of his, and it looked really unique.  Doubt I'm ready for one yet - but I have this promise to myself that as soon as I catch a fish over 8 lbs, I am going to get myself a Chronarch SF and a nice rod.  I am beginning to see that catching quality fish is no easy task!

Gabby

gunter1309

One thing I have learned, much to the chagrin of my wife, you are always ready for new equipment no matter what skill level you think you are at.  How many times do golfers buy the new driver, putter, latest wonder ball or irons, no matter how good or bad they are.  

Well fishing is the same, sometimes you are only good as your equipment, if you buy cheap, you will spend more time with overruns ( nice way to say birds nest ) rod breakage, line breakage, loosing fish and so on.  Buy the best you can afford, one really good rod an reel combination is better that 3 cheap ones.  Trust me,  when you start specializing, like flippin sticks , pitchin sticks , certain rods especially for spinner baiting or crankin that is when the money really gets spent.  A really good reel or rod or both can be adapted to your kind of fishing a lot better than cheap ones.  

Mr. Scobee (Rod) makes an excellent rod, it is to your specs and liking, definitely better than off the rack and much more unique.  I am fixing (good southern term) to get him to make me a weighted flippin stick much like one that Mike has, but it will have to be yellow white and black (bumble bee I guess) to match the NASCAR Rocket !!!!

Steve  8)

RANGERS RULE !!!
'If you got to be in it, you might as well win it!'

Gabby

Do you think he can paint your truck to match the Nascar Rocket?  JK.

Yeah, whenever I get a little jack in the wallet, I may be giving him a call to plan this rod out.  Would you think a shorter rod (maybe 6'6) would be good for working top water?  I like to work my chug bugs, etc. with the tip down - and imagine a shorter rod would let me get that tip lower without slicing the water.

What would make a good worm rod?  I have a pretty nice Castaway Worm rod, but you can never have enough of those!

Mike Cork

Gabby,

First I would like to say that if you have already based an opinion about me from the good ole boys here on the board, I am suprised that you still coraspond with me  ::)

I would also like to say that your thanks is greatly apreciated and I will gladly go again (just maybe not so long would be a good thing 6 month takes it's toll in many ways)

I know bass fishing equipment is can get very expensive but I must agree with Steve. There comes a point when your skill and abilities are hampered by your equipment. Take a worm rod for instance. You start fishing and you aren't catching anything, soon the seasons change and your abilities are getting better and finally you start catching a few fish and are very excited about it, pretty soon the seasons change again and the bite gets real tough and once again you aren't getting bit. But is that the case or is it that the bite is much softer now and you just aren't identifying the bite?????

I am not trying to say that you should always have the best money can buy but I am saying that your equipment should be one step ahead of you. I have fished for alot of years and I can definately say from experience that good tackle will make all the difference in the world even if you don't catch a fish. When I got my first Delta V rod I was so amazed at how my casting improved and how much better I could feel the bottom with my worm or jig that I was just in shear heaven with every pitch. Not to mention that I learned alot about the water I was fishing there are rocks and brush piles I didn't even know were there, and that is the gods honest truth........

I only have one Patriotic Rod and I love it I have dedicated it to the men and weman that sacrificed there lives to save others during 9/11. That is only one of the many things you can do when you design a Delta V rod. Rod Scobee will go to the extremes to make it look the way you want and he will take the upmost pride in making sure it performs exactly to your desires.

This post is getting quite long but I wanted to touch on your desire for a shorter rod for top water. When working alot of stick baits I do the same thing and point the rod to the water. The rod length depends on alot of factors and these are thing Rod will talk to you about. But everyone fishes different, and you need to find the length and action that works for you. Personally my spook, spit'n image, pop r' rod is only 5' 10". The only thing wrong with a rod that short is you are really hampering yourself once the fish is hooked. A longer rod with good tip action is great for playing fish that are hooked with treble hooks.......

Looking forward to meeting you and hopefully fishing with you soon

Cork's Reel Service

Mike Cork

sorry for the long post, I can get to rambling about Delta V rods..... There is only one word for them "

AWESOME[/font]

Cork's Reel Service

Gabby

Well, my learning curve improved today when talking with a friend of mine about the lost fish on the river.

He told me that he also lost quite a few fish when throwing a crank bait because his rod was too stiff in action.  All 4 of my rods are Med/Heavy, and he said that he switched to a 7' Med action rod for cranks, and he didn't lose nearly as many fish.  He said it really makes a difference.

Also, he said he had an extra rod he was going to GIVE me!  Brand new 7' Med/Light rod, and I will be using it for cranks & spinners.

Can you elaborate on that?  Why are more flexable rods an advantage?

Thanks,

Gabby

Mike Cork

This question is easy for me to answer because I never believed it until I tried it myself after being told by several good fisherman the same thing you were told.

A good crank bait rod will have good back bone to it and a very flexible tip. When playing a fish that you have hooked on treble hooks you can not horse it.

First, you have to realize that baits with treble hooks don't hook the bass as well. The treble basically grabs the skin of a bass's mouth at best. If you are throwig a worm or a spinner bait you will notice that the hook punches all the way threw the bass's mouth and no matter how hard you or the fish pulls you basically have him safety pinned (with out the wrap around clip of corse) and it is very difficult for him to throw the hooks. But when a bait has treble hooks you will notice that the hooks just grab the skin. Now if a bass makes a surge or can pull hard against your rod he is more than likely going to rip the skin and the bait comes out. If your rod is fairly stiff threw out the blank and that bass makes a surge it will be able to pull loose. Know if you have a rod that has alot of action (limber) in the tip when that bass makes a surge the rod will absorb the surge and help prevent the skin from tearing as easily. One thing you can do with a stiffer rod is loosen your drag but then you will find it difficult to set the hooks and with out a good hook set the same can happen even easier. So the answer is a good rod with back bone for the hook set and a limber tip to absord shock surges. Another fact is that with the limber tip it has to load up before the back bone will work, so when a bass attacts your bait and you set the hook your bait really pauses for just a split second while the tip is loading up and that is just enough time for the fish to enhale your bait a little deeper allowing for a better hook set when the back bone sets in. Allowing the bass to take the bait deeper you also increase your chances as even if it comes loose the hooks might grab again on the way out of its mouth. You will find that you hang up a crank bait alot less with the limber tip because you are not pile driving the crank into timber, the tip will load up and alow the bait to bounce off of objects better.

Hope this helps

Cork's Reel Service

gunter1309

Very nice, I think we will have to bestow upon you the Fishing God PhD for that dissertation.

I showed Gabby my fiberglass crankin stick 7ft the other night and I bought it for the exact reasons you outlined here.

Thank you Dr. Mike

Steve  8)
'If you got to be in it, you might as well win it!'

mikemrt125

So, therefore the old addige of the longer and stiffer the rod, is not always true.  It is the same in fishing equipement as in other things

docwaldo

i've always heard that fly fishermen have the longest rods and that worm fishermen have the stiffest rods.  but you know what they say.  .  .believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

drop it deep and yank it hard.  .  .

doc  :)

Siggy by DundeeMike
CATFISHERMEN HAVE STIFFER RODS!!
doc  :)

adam

where can i find these rods at i want to see them maybe get one or 10

MotherNature

Adam,
the guy that makes them is a local and I am not sure if he is still in the rod business. Mike has one and he loves it. They are kind of pricy though. They are balanced and custom in every way imaginable.

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>