Tru-Tungsten out of business???

Started by tsmith35, March 01, 2011, 07:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsmith35

I happened to browse through an ad from Jann's Netcraft featuring Eco Pro tungsten weights, and while on the Netcraft site clicked on their Tru-Tungsten weights. They had a message saying "Tru-Tungsten (Fish Harder) is currently not shipping any products and their phone is disconnected."

So I went to the Tru-Tungsten site and got this message:

This webstore, Tru-Tungsten.com, has been closed. If you placed an order with this store before it was closed and you have not received your order, please send an email to and we will send you contact information for the responsible parties.

If you are owed money by Tru-Tungsten, Fish Harder Companies, Tim Gregory, or Dan Vesuvio, please send an email to and we will send you their contact information.

Digging around on the web (and a few other forums) turns up information which says that it's recently been discovered that tungsten is a carcinogen, leading the U.S. Army to stop the use and manufacture of tungsten ammo. Is this why Tru-Tungsten got out of the business, or were there other issues? Either way, this is all very interesting.

ex301p

Very Interesting read "tungsten is a carcinogen". I have heard many rumors about that company, the only fact I guess is that they are out of biz, but rumors of other companies buying them out are flying around the water hole. 

beast96z

I don't know what's going on but our local Academy had had all their weights on clearence for $1.99 a pack. Wish I would have seen it, but they where gone when I got there. >:(

bassindude

I use Tungsten electrodes when TIG Welding, and I was once told that they are mildly radioactive.  I never looked into it because Ive been using them for over 30 years, and dont know of any ill effects.  Wait a minute, maybe that is why I grew that 3rd leg  lo
Jim ><///'>><///'>

lugnut

now that it's deadly, maybe i can afford to use it  lo
Lugnut is now accepting donations of gasoline (ethanol free desired)

MaineSkeeter

I believe from a good source that they are restructuring and will be back shortly.  A really good source!!!!!  The compay sells more than just tungsten so anything to do with them being out of business because of tungsten being radio active would be a bunch of wild speculation and rumors in my opinion.
Go2Baits, Flying Fisherman, Nemire Lures

TroyWojo

OOoooohh, was wondering why all the prices on their swimbaits dropped everywhere
Fishing is like drugs, just healthier. Addictive and Expesnive as hell.

MaineSkeeter

I just received this message from an industry insider......"Fish Harder Co. is currently undergoing a sale of the company, and is rumored to close the sale in early 2011."
Go2Baits, Flying Fisherman, Nemire Lures

bass1cpr

Tru-tungsten also owns Picasso their site is down also. Supposedly a couple of companies were looking into buying them. One prospective buyer has already stepped out.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

gillrod2728

Radioactive huh oh well lead causes cancer and we all used it for years and still do lo  And tungsten ammunition is still being made like crazy so dunno where that source came from.
"Kistler Rods Team" "Eye Crossin Custom Lures"  "Fishwhittler Custom Lures" "Knawbone Jigs" "Big River Tackle"

BASS BOSS!!

Truetungsten Went out of business????
Seth Willard
Bass boss!and your abu garcia man!

bass1cpr

Yes TruTungsten is out of business has been for some time now. There were a few companies looking at buying them. Trutungsten bought Picasso a few years back and only kept their spinnerbaits brand dropping their jig lines.
   Don't know if there will be a breath of new life for Picasso but I know some people that are bumming because they can't get a particular spinnerbait anymore.
   There were quite a few pro's left scrambling looking for someone to fill their sponsor spot when TruTungsten broke the news of their cut's for sponsorship dropping their entire pro staff.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Bass-Assassin

My wedding ring is made from tungsten, guess my wife is trying to end me a little early...  ~roflmao
You cant catch fish, if you don't get your worm wet.

DBrooke

This is 2011, according to the Country of California, everything causes cancer.
This section under construction.

gillrod2728

Quote from: DBrooke on March 02, 2011, 09:27:24 PM
This is 2011, according to the Country of California, everything causes cancer.
~roflmao ~roflmao  Got that right. 
"Kistler Rods Team" "Eye Crossin Custom Lures"  "Fishwhittler Custom Lures" "Knawbone Jigs" "Big River Tackle"

beast96z

I got some info on this subject today. Seems that the fella that owns Eco Pro Tungsten, works for or is partnered w/ Tru Tungsten. From what I understand, he is leaving, and doing his own Tungsten thing w/ Eco Pro. What's left of Tru Tungsten is going to go back to Picasso. I'm assuming most of the Tungsten division will go to Eco, and Picasso will go on carrying the products they already had and maybe a few baits from TT. Got this info from a dealer of both products.

Mike Cork

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

tim4081

Quote from: gillrod2728 on March 02, 2011, 08:07:04 AM
  And tungsten ammunition is still being made like crazy so dunno where that source came from.

I don't know about the weights being a health hazard but I could understand if someone considered tungsten ammo to be so.
Attitude predicts altitude.  How high will you fly?

DBrooke

This section under construction.

beast96z

Quote from: Mike Cork on March 07, 2011, 03:39:48 PM
you talking about big dave :surrender:
;) Not really a secret. I was going in to buy up the last of his "smart pegs" and he told me not to bother. He said one or the other would be taking up the product and not to worry.

bass1cpr

That's encouraging news. I had heard there were a couple of companies looking at them but they had deciced to back away from the deal. I hope both divisions can survive the split.

coldfront

Quote from: MaineSkeeter on March 01, 2011, 10:01:32 PM
I believe from a good source that they are restructuring and will be back shortly.  A really good source!!!!! 

sure hope so...gotta say I love their weights. 

ʇuǝɹq™

Does this mean there frog line is done as well?

Mike Cork

Quote from: ʇuǝɹq™ on March 08, 2011, 05:12:17 PM
Does this mean there frog line is done as well?

They weren't worth it anyway ~roflmao No wonder you can't catch fish  ~roflmao ~roflmao

I would imagine that it's one of the things that gets picked up.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

ʇuǝɹq™

Quote from: Mike Cork on March 09, 2011, 12:21:51 PM
They weren't worth it anyway ~roflmao No wonder you can't catch fish  ~roflmao ~roflmao

I would imagine that it's one of the things that gets picked up.

>:D