Make soft plastics "float"

Started by copnjax, July 06, 2011, 07:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copnjax

Here's a little trick I use with "Trick" worms (no pun intended).  The tail of the Trick Worm is supposed to float up off the bottom...thus, enticing bass to strike.  I've found that most Trick Worms out of the bag do not do this.  So, I will take a diabetic insulin syringe and just "squirt" a little air into the bulbous tail of the Trick Worm.  NOW it will float off the bottom without fail.  This can also be used with any soft plastic baits to make them float.
Retired after 34 yrs. with Jacksonville P.D.  Now I have time to hunt and fish!

Bassinkorea

Good idea Copnjax  :-*

We used to do this with live earth worms years ago for rainbow trout  lo
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

gillrod2728

~c~ nice would any syringe work? Or does it have to be a diabetic one?
"Kistler Rods Team" "Eye Crossin Custom Lures"  "Fishwhittler Custom Lures" "Knawbone Jigs" "Big River Tackle"

copnjax

Any syringe will work but, the smaller the diameter of the needle, the less chance of the injected air escaping.  Plus, diabetic syringes are easier to obtain.......and, less dangerous to carry around in your tackle bag/box.
Retired after 34 yrs. with Jacksonville P.D.  Now I have time to hunt and fish!

jesse1378

not to steal yout tread, but if your not to excited about the needle thing, you can use the stuff that people put on their fly lines to help it float.

gillrod2728

Well ive tryed this out and not really making any difference. :-\
"Kistler Rods Team" "Eye Crossin Custom Lures"  "Fishwhittler Custom Lures" "Knawbone Jigs" "Big River Tackle"

beer980

Quote from: gillrod2728 on July 08, 2011, 03:50:36 PM
Well ive tryed this out and not really making any difference. :-\

Are you using baits with salt in them? That may be the problem. You can always buy a hand poured bait.

gillrod2728

Quote from: beer980 on July 09, 2011, 09:40:57 AM
Are you using baits with salt in them? That may be the problem. You can always buy a hand poured bait.
Doing exactly what he said with a trick worm.

SkeeterMatt

I had a game warden give me the stink eye one time when he came up on me while I was bank fishing. my box was open and i had a needle on top just for this purpose. i explained to him what i was using it for but he still seemed kind of suspicious.
Theres a bump....

jesse1378

matt i had the same thing happen...we use them on live worm for bottom fishing for walleye. i told him to tae a closer look at the needle and see how dirty it was lol. then i re rigged and showed him how to do it. ...couple weeks later same guy same spot, he thanked me for the idea he and his som do it all the time now lol

bennett_cola

If your having problems with the air escaping through the needle hole try this. Slightly stretch the area you intend to inject air in before inserting the needle. Inject the air and remove the needle and allow the area to return to shape. This should seal the hole off from leaking air. I haven't truest this with a plastic worm, though as a rn I use this when giving some injections to assure the medication doesn't leak out. It's called the z-track method and I'm sure a quick Google search could enlighten you more to what it is I'm trying to explain.

Please do not use Outdoor Hub Mobile, Please find and use TapaTalk for your phone
'BASSN'

ILbasslayer

I have always heard this will work, but never got to try it.
NEVER GIVE UP
Don't let anyone look down on you  because you are young, but set an example  for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith  and in purity. 1st Timothy 4:12
Started from the bottom, now we here.

JeffD

This trick is awesome! Thank you.:D

ND2020

Interesting tip for sure!  How long will doing something like this typically last?