Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New guy needs alot of help with rod/reel combo:)  (Read 4853 times)

DelaWhere?

• Smallmouth
  • Kickin Bass and Takin Numbers
Re: New guy needs alot of help with rod/reel combo:)
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 01:48:49 PM »

st croix puts out a great product regardless. the mojo should be a littel lighter but to start out triumph should be perfectly fine.
1 or 2 piece? do you have the ability to transport a 1 piece rod? if you do then this is the way to go.  it will have increased sensitivity over a 2 piece.

Ok, good info about the Triumph.  I will look at both when I go to BPS.  And yes, I have a truck to transport the 1 piece.  Also plan on keeping it in my boats rod holder.

What about getting a left handed versus right handed reel?  I am left handed but I feel comfortable holding the rod with my right and cranking with my left?  I guess I should be doing the opposite..correct?

Camden

• Here Fishy
  • Ultimate Basser
  • The Happy Gilmore of Bass Fishing!
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 02:01:19 PM »

here is my opinion on this. do what ever is best for you. me im right handed. spinning reel i crank left but BC's i reel right. lo

Canesfan

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 02:45:38 PM »

I'm left handed and crank in with left hand on spinning reel and right hand with baitcaster because it is more comfortable for me.

Kinda sucks though because last week when I was in the Midwest, went into a Cabelas and they had Skeet Reese Wright & McGill Baitcasters 1/2 off but ONLY had left handed models left.  Tried them out but just didn't feel right.  Man, would have bought up all of 'em at $ 49.95.

Dan1962

• Largemouth
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 04:44:17 PM »

The Main difference between the Triumph & mojo is the rear handle the Mojo has the new spilt design were the triumph has the reg handle  Both use the Same rod Blank   the 6'6 med triumph is 4.2oz  which is Really VERY Light for a rod that's only $69 the 6'6 med mojo is 3.7oz  But is $99 if you can pop for the extra $30 the Mojo is a great rod  the only thing i don't like about the mojo is that Purple  Color   
 As for a left or right that up to You  I like right handed reels  & for 1 or 2 pc the Triumph & Mojo casting rods only come in 1pc  they have 2pc in spinning rods
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:57:54 PM by Dan1962 »

TNDiver

• Life Member
  • Too many hobbies, too little time!
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 09:22:47 AM »

In terms of rods, you have gotten a lot of advice and I tried all the ones listed, but you have put your reel on each and see how they feel in terms of balance.  The reel weight can affect the balance of the rod.  AS I said before, I tried a number of those rods, but for my reel, the Vendetta and Carrot Stix felt the best, but I liked the Carrot Stix a little better (even though it was $20 more ???).  So find a reel and then see what matches with the different rods, and try them all!  I had a list I took with me to BPS to try. I am glad I did, because otherwise I would have bought something I would not have liked.  Keep in mind you will be fishing for hours and want something you are comfortable with.

Keep asking questions, that is how we all learned and there are many on hear that are very knowledgeable.  Also, you will get a bunch of opinions, but you need to find what works for you.

Good Luck!
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

Canesfan

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2011, 10:44:42 AM »

"Keep asking questions, that is how we all learned and there are many on hear that are very knowledgeable.  Also, you will get a bunch of opinions, but you need to find what works for you."

That's the best advice yet.  Do what feels best for YOU.  Keep reading here and aasking questions.  I have learned lots and lots of things from this forum. A bunch of great people willing to help.

DelaWhere?

• Smallmouth
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2011, 03:21:34 PM »

Thanks guys again for all your help...I like the suggestion about creating a list to take with me...that sounds like a def plan!

Anyway, been doing a little looking on the web today at the St. Croix rods and looked at both the Triumph and the Mojo.  Both look pretty nice.  I am leaning at pairing the 200e citica with a Triumph (possibly the TRC70MF 7')?

I looked at BPS website and was reading the reviews between the PQ and Citica and both of them were excellent.  Although, I did come across a few reviews for the Citica that people said it was not good for a beginner?

BTW, should I really be looking to get into a bait casting reel?  I mean is it really necessary...what makes them better to user than a spinning reel?  I've used spinning reels all my life and I imagine a top notch spinning reel is pretty nice...?

Camden

• Here Fishy
  • Ultimate Basser
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2011, 03:39:51 PM »

like before the main reason a BC is nice is a couple different things for me.
1 the size of line I can put in the spool. i can use a large lb test on BC
2 a little bit heavier duty for fishing cover or grass
3 increased rod selection. maybe its just me but the variety of rods available for BC over spinning is alot
4 some people will argue this but for me casting distance is increased. some people can sling a spinning great but for me a bc cast better.
true there will be a slight learning curve. but i use to be just like you. spinning reels only. then i started with a bc and now i only own 1 spinning and numerous BC

i know it sounds like im trying to talk you into a BC and well i kinda am lo from my experience. but if you wanna stick with spinning then by all means go right ahead with whatever works for you

TNDiver

• Life Member
  • Too many hobbies, too little time!
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2011, 08:48:17 AM »

Yes BC is worth it, and the BC can cast differently much easier, like pitching.  The hardest thing to remember, is don't fling the lure, but let the weight of the lure and the BC reel do all the work.  It doesn't take a lot of effort to cast BC.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

DelaWhere?

• Smallmouth
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 02:14:41 PM »

All-

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I would just update my original one.  Since posting this thread, I have purchased a few used mojo bass casting rods (MBC70MF and MBC70MHM).  I have not purchased any reels at this time so my questions mainly surround the rods.  First, for some reason I thought the medium power rod would be used for crankbaits (I thought there should be some give in the rod for treble hook baits) and that I would use the medium heavy rod for plastics?  While looking on the St. Croix website they have the rods listed the other way around (medium for plastics and medium heavy for cranks)? 

Secondly, I will finally be taking my trip to BPS this coming weekend and was looking to pick up another rod or two.  I was planning on picking up one more baitcaster and I was also contemplating getting a spinning rod (so I would have something to fall back on when I get frustrated with the baitcaster and for my wife to use whenever she comes with me).  As far as the baitcaster, what other option should I get since I already have the medium and medium heavy….maybe a heavy for frogs?  Also, what do you suggest to get for a spinning rod if I do decide to pick one up, medium or medium heavy?  The spinning would be an all around type setup…plastics, etc.

Thanks for your assistance….

Michael

dallicis

• Smallmouth
  • It's a trick. Get an axe.
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 04:07:09 PM »

I use a med for most of my cranks, whats more important than that is the tip, you need something with some flex, it helps with the treble hooks. As far as the MH, thats what I use for my plastics and jigs, so i think you are good there.

As far as spinning rod goes i would pick up a 7' Med, you can throw a lot on it and would be good for dropshots and shakey heads.

Camden

• Here Fishy
  • Ultimate Basser
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2011, 11:52:08 AM »

i would def be using that medium fast for cranks as long as they arent deep cranks. and the MH for plastics and a little heavier line.

if i was gonna get another bc rod i am a little wierd and like a medium light for shallow cranks 5' and under. minimum 7' . i dont fish alot of stuff that im gonna need a heavy rod for right now so i havent dwelled into one.

as for a spinning dallicis is right, go with a medium action.

DelaWhere?

• Smallmouth
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2011, 12:00:03 PM »

Camden-

Thx a lot for responding to the thread again.  I thought the Med was for cranks and the Med Hvy would be for plastics, etc...not sure why St. Croix has it listed the other way around on their website?  Anyway....

So, for it would be ok to use the Med for square bill and lipless cranks?  And, should I use the Med Hvy for plastics and jigs?

In ref to the other bc rod, I thought maybe I should get a Hvy for frogs in the pads and thick growth?

Also, in ref to reels...I guess I will still be ok with a 6.3.1 for the Med rod (cranks) and a 7.1.1 for the Med Hvy (plastics, etc)...correct?  I am on the fence about whether to go with a slower ratio on the crank rod like a 5.1.1 or something....

Thanks for your assistance.....

Camden

• Here Fishy
  • Ultimate Basser
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2011, 12:05:42 PM »

unless your gonna be doing some deep cranking stick with the 6.3 for shallow cranks. you can get some slack in your line when running a stop and go retrieve and the slower ratio wont let you get the slack up quick enough. and yea the medium would be good for the squares and lipless.

if your gonna be fishing alot of slop or frogs in the slop then look into a heavy rod. We dont have alot of that around me so im not that smart on the heavier rods.

not sure why st croix has it listed like that either could just be an error or who knows what but i use my rod for whatever i find it best suited for. forget what the books say and fish with what works is what my grandpa would tell me lo

bassmaster3541

• Largemouth
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 12:20:44 PM »

I just read through your whole thread so I'll kind of touch on all of it. I fish about 50/50 baitcasters and spinning. I use baitcasters for cranks, spinnerbaits, jigs, and swimbaits. You can cast these much farther on baitcasters, and you can flip and pitch jigs much better. I saw you were a little confused abut the crankbait rod, I would try both rods out for it, see which works better for you. My first baitcaster I could only throw lipless cranks on it, it would not cast diving cranks at all (because of the rod action), but then I bought a field and stream Tec-Spec specialized crankin rod, which has a nice soft tip which casts all my cranks great. So I would just try both out and see what you like. Then I use spinning setups for Floating frogs, soft plastic toads (Zoom Horny Toads), senkos, etc. Basically all my soft plastics. I just feel much more comfortable setting the hook on soft plastics with a spinning setup, I dont know why, but when i First started fishing baitcasters and tried them with plastics i was missing fish left and right. And I have no problem whatsoever with casting distance with spinning setups with plastics, with a good setup you can still cast them a mile.
Pro Staff for Dobyns Rods, Elite Tungsten, and Buggs Jigs

DelaWhere?

• Smallmouth
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »

dallicis, Camden and bassmaster3541-

Thanks for all your assistance...I really appreciate it...I am a newbie but slowly trying to learn as much as possible.

Camden- Thx for the advice on the ratio for cranking...I will stick to 6.3.  And the only reason I was considering picking up a heavy was for frogs because we fish a lot of lilly pads..not sure if that makes a difference...if not I guess I can just use the Med Hvy for a spro or something similar?

bassmaster3541- I was thinking along the same lines..basically using my spinning set up for plastics..at least senkos.  I like the idea of having the spinning on board at least for now that way I can go back to it during frustrating times or just to get some kind of comfort level back because I have no experience with bc's.

Another question...(sorry)- Can someone refresh my memory on what rod I should use for spinner baits and buzzbaits?  I am assuming the Med Hvy?  I also assume I can use the Med Hvy for jigs as well?

bassmaster3541

• Largemouth
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2011, 12:12:43 AM »

If you fish a lot of pads, I would suggest a medium heavy spinning rod, and invest in some zoom horny toads. when the water is warm enough to catch fish topwater, i fish those 90% of the time I'm on the water. I have a medium heavy abu garcia verities that works great, and i have 30 lb braid on it, cats a mile. And for my spinnerbaits, i fish them on a medium abu gracia vendetta, which works good for me, but I'm sure the medium heavy would work fine as well.

DelaWhere?

• Smallmouth
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2011, 10:53:14 PM »

Okay guys, just got back from BPS today.  I bought a spinning setup and also some lures and other stuff but did not buy any baitcasters for my 2 rods I have here at home (Med and Med Hvy).

One reason is because the selection kind of sucked...they did not have any of the new Citica's in stock and barely had any Curado's.  They did have the PQ which my buddy bought but I was still reluctant.  I posted another thread on this forum asking about the difference between the new Shimano Citica G models and last years E model and Pro Reel said I should go with last years because it is better.

So here is my question, I need 2 baitcasters and I am a beginner (never used one before but I think I will be able to pick it up fairly quickly because I will practice all the time).  Anyway, I need 7:1 for the Med Hvy and a 6:3 or 6:4 whatever for the Med.  Last years Citica E only comes in 7:1 so that means I would have to get something else for the 6:3 like a Curado if I want to stay with Shimano.

I come home tonight and jump online and find out that BPS has the PQ on sale for 79.99 and it comes in both the 7:1 and the 6:4 or 6:3 that I need.  Didn't realize that when I was in the store today, the guy did not mention it was on sale.  Not sure if I would have bought it while I was there or not.  So should I get the Shimano's (Citica and Curado) or go with both PQ's???

I'm confused as heck...please help!

Thanks,
Michael

bassmaster3541

• Largemouth
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2011, 11:45:27 PM »

I haven't used the PQ's, but have heard nothing but great things about them. I just bught myself my first curado about a mnth ago, and i love it, but I'm not sure if it would be a great reel to learn on, I had to tighten the spool alot when I first got it so that i could just get the hang of it, and I have been using baitcasters for at least a year and a half now, and had no problem with my ones before that. They werent as high quality of reels, (couldn't cast as far and such) but had the switch on the opposite side of the handle that you can easily manipulate the breaking system with, and is much easier to learn with. The curado does not have this. There is only a small knob right next to the handle that you can loosen or tighten which allows you to allow the spool to release more or less line, which is much more finicky than the knob some reels have on the opposite side of the handle. If I were you, learning baitcasters, I would buy one that has this. I just looked on the bass pro website, and the PQ does have that, so in my opinion I would go with the PQ. I think it would be a much better reel to start with, and it's supposed to be a great reel, and it's alot cheaper than the curado, especially when you are just starting out with baitcasters. If any of this was over your head, feel free to ask what I was talking about.

Camden

• Here Fishy
  • Ultimate Basser
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2011, 06:08:45 AM »

this is an easy answer in my opinion. Get th pq. It has dual braking both mag and centrifugal. It also has an aluminum frame and one of the best reels in that price point ever.

tim4081

• Largemouth
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2011, 11:54:04 AM »

I would go with the PQ also.  I know a couple of people who use them and they say they're great reels.  The dual braking system will help you some since you're new to baitcasters.  They're available in a wide range of gear ratios and you can often pick them up for $80 or so on sale.  If possible though, be sure to try the reel  out on your rods first so you can determine how well the entire combo feels for you.
Attitude predicts altitude.  How high will you fly?

DelaWhere?

• Smallmouth
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2011, 08:06:46 AM »

Hey all...just wanted to report back...I went ahead and pulled the trigger yesterday and picked me up two of the PQ's.  (7:1 and a 6:4)

Hope everything works out with them and I don't regret going with Shimano....

Thanks for the assistance....
Michael

DelaWhere?

• Smallmouth
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2011, 09:45:51 AM »

Hey guys....I wanted to bump this back again basically to report that I am having "second" thoughts on ordering the right handed reels?

I spoke with a few guys at BPS and they said if I can it would be better to learn to reel in with my right hand.  Before ever getting into baitcasters, I reel my spinning with my left.....naturally I feel more comfortable with doing that.

So, also before I ordered the PQ's I took my buddies right handed BC out and used it.  I actually caught a fish jig fishing by a dock.  It felt a little weird but I managed.  Now I am just not sure that I am totally ever going to get used to it compared to reeling in with my left hand.

Now here is the logic I believe....from what I hear from reading and talking to several people is, it would be good if I can get used to casting the rod with my left hand (because I am left handed) and then immediately I can start reeling with my right hand due to the fact that when pitching flipping whatever, a lot of the time the fish hits when the bait / lure hits the water so I will be ready for it.  Basically, people say there is a chance you won't be ready for that initial strike when the lure hits the water if you have to switch hands.

Well here is my major question.....usually when you are flipping / pitching / with a jig whatever...that is rod specific, (meaning a lot of the time you will have a go to rod specifically set up for that).  So I guess it would be possible that I could just have a right handed reel on the specific rod instead of all of them?  Unless of course the entire logic surrounding being ready for the fish when the lure hits the water encompasses all LURES / BAITS and not just when flipping and pitching?  So for example, on a crankbait rod setup, is it really necessary to be ready (without switching hands) for a fish to strike?  My thinking is no, because most likely a lot of the time you will start working / reeling the crankbait before a strike even occurs?  Correct or am I off on this?

Asking for thoughts and assistance on this.....just to reiterate, I already ordered the right handed models from BPS, but I have not received them yet.  So basically, I can always exchange them for left hands if necessary.

Thanks,
Michael

Camden

• Here Fishy
  • Ultimate Basser
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2011, 09:55:44 AM »

ah the old left vs right debate.  everyone is different. do what feels good to you. everyone asks why i reel right handed and cast with my right. well cause it comes natural to me. the time it takes me to switch hands is done while the bait is still in motion so i can engage the reel. i don't have alot of down time between so i don't worry about missing bites.

to your question. some people are gonna say to keep practicing to use the side that is more practical. but i'm different. i would get every reel the same side your comfortable with. i don't think i would like ripping some cranks with a left reel then go to flipping and have to switch hands.
JMO

novabass

• Smallmouth
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2011, 10:01:48 AM »

ah the old left vs right debate.  everyone is different. do what feels good to you. everyone asks why i reel right handed and cast with my right. well cause it comes natural to me. the time it takes me to switch hands is done while the bait is still in motion so i can engage the reel. i don't have alot of down time between so i don't worry about missing bites.

to your question. some people are gonna say to keep practicing to use the side that is more practical. but i'm different. i would get every reel the same side your comfortable with. i don't think i would like ripping some cranks with a left reel then go to flipping and have to switch hands.
JMO

I agree with Camden 100% on this. I also do the same thing as he does. I cast with my right and reel with my right. So do what comes natural.
Never quit casting!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 23 queries.